Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

NEW FEATURE: Critiki locations in Tiki Central topics

Pages: 1 14 replies

It’s with great pride that Humuhumu and I announce a huge new feature for Tiki Central:

Critiki locations attached directly to Tiki Central topics!

When a topic contains discussion about a location that’s in Critiki’s database, you’ll see the Critiki logo at the top of the page, along with the names of the locations. Click on any name to visit Critiki and get information, photos, and ratings for that location!

Look at the top of this topic for an example.

How do Critiki locations get associated with topics? By and large, Humuhumu is in charge of doing all the dirty work by hand. She’s spent hours combing through existing topics to make the links, and she (and to a much smaller degree I) will continue to update the data as new topics are created. There’s still a lot more work to be done in this department, especially on older topics, and integration will be continuous, but most of the fresh topics have been covered.

Implementing this feature – interfacing Tiki Central with Critiki – represents the largest change to the Tiki Central database ever undertaken, and I thank Humuhumu for her effort in making it happen. It required significant code changes on both Tiki Central and Critiki.

Please! Let us all know what you think!

~Hanford

PS, did you know that our own member tikicleen has a rather impressive collection of Stockton Islander items?

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-02-01 02:56 ]

H

Hanford and I have been so excited about this, we've been running around like little kids who've just eaten a big bowl of Sugar Jets. This has been a lot of work, but it's been really fun, and I hope folks find it useful.

As Hanford mentioned, there's still a lot of data entry to be done, but over time these links will be all over the darn place.

You'll be seeing another superneato development soon: with this data, I will also be able to provide a link from Critiki that will take you to all the threads where a location has been discussed. That is going to be really, really cool, Critiki's current one-link-per-location setup is woefully insufficient considering the breadth of discussions happening on TC.

I hope you all have as much fun using it as we've had building it.

B

Wow, I think this is a Huge advancement that will become very heavily used and helpful. Congrats to you two for putting this together. (not an easy undertaking!)

Awsome. Great idea, my "clickin' finger" thanks you too.

F

Wow, I can't imagine the hours spent typing in code. You've made a great place even better. Thanks!

P
pablus posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2005 6:43 AM

First.... sugar jets?

Second... Humuhumu, ever hear of sleep?

As my maiden aunts used to say: Oh my goodness gracious! Hanford, Humu, I'm getting on the floor & bowing in your general directions! I'm vibrating & fidgeting around in my chair reading this, what you've done here is really elegant. Thank you for all the work that obviously went into this.

that kicks more ass than an inspector at a hiney factory!

this makes me envision a time that we all have portable wireless devices with gps, effectively becoming cyber tiki detecting agents with an uplink to the tiki mother ship :)

Critiki was in the Life section of the OC Register this a.m. Congrats Humhumu! They had a picture of the Hot Head mug too.

My two most favorite websites joining forces together?
Is this for real? I don't believe it. Wait a minute! I'm I on Candid Camera?
All the effort you two have given to Tiki is immeasurable.
A Tiki Cheers To You Both!

Here’s a great sample of how accurate this new feature is.

what a brilliant idea! this really brings everything full circle. humu~ you have done such a tremendous job with critiki and this new feature makes it easy for everyone to enjoy it.

thanks for highlighting the islander! i even have more mugs to list pictures of....eek!

now if tikihula can get off of his arse, we could link mug pictures to specific collecting threads too! :)

great job humu and hanford.

Congratulations Humu and Hanf! I believe this way more newbies will "get" what is going on here, too. A big step for international Tiki-kind.

B

Great job! I don't get a chance to get onto TC everyday, let alone Critiki. This will optimize my limited computer time. Mahalo to both of you for the hard work!

H

On 2005-02-01 06:43, pablus wrote:

First.... sugar jets?

Second... Humuhumu, ever hear of sleep?

Sugar Jets!

Re: sleep, I was exhausted when I got home from work, I crashed out until now. It all catches up with me eventually.

It's so great to hear that you're all so excited about this. I want to thank Hanford again for being willing to do this--it took a lot of work on his part. It think the combination makes both websites a lot stronger.

Sven, your point about helping newbs is a good one, I hadn't considered that--I suppose it really does help emphasise the connection to a rich history.

By the way, you should never turn down an invitation to visit tikicleen & thedrunkenhat's Dark Marq Room, because aside from the great atmosphere and the tasty beverages thedrunkenhat concocts, that's how you can get to see tikicleen's kick-ass Islander collection.

There I go, creating work for myself again. :)

Pages: 1 14 replies