Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2/16: Who's going to Trader Vic's in Chicago this month?

Pages: 1 22 replies

F

I finally have a chance to go to one of Trader Vic's Tabu Tiki Nights and I was hoping to see some other TC'ers there.

Any one want to talk tiki while I'm half in the bag this 16th?

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-02-07 01:59 ]

T

Heya Fink, good to know that at laest one person is going to come out of hibernation for this month's event. There'll be an official post up in Tiki Events in a few days.

And, er, to answer your question... I'll be attending!

I will be there too. The last one in December was a blast. And I scored a seat at the bar all night! I think I know what bag you are refering too. Oh, and my younger brother from Montana will be in town staying with me that week. He is really excited to see what this "tiki" thing is all about.

chris

I'm gonna try and I even sent out a invite to my http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu fellow members in hopes they will come.

YA MO' BE THERE!!

Lake Tiki returns!

January was a long month without Trader Vic's!

I'll see you all there...

E
EsQui posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2005 1:43 PM

I'll be there with Lissette. We can't wait to come out of hibernation. Today I'll be carving the 3rd of 4 new 13x19" tiki woodcut prints that I'll be releasing at Trader Vic's. I'll give up a couple for the raffle, and hopefully sell enough to cover our bar tab!

Here is a big tip for anyone reluctant to come because of parking, and for those that are paying for parking: Along Monroe St. near the hotel there is free parking after 6pm at the parking meters. It is a tow zone between 4-6, but if you get there around 5:50pm you can beat the competion and wait in your car until 6. We do this every time we go. Even if you don't mind paying $20 for parking, do this and use the money to buy art from me. My art looks better framed than a parking lot stub (usually!).

See you there!

EsQui
http://www.waitingchairgallery.com

The tiki raffle I had in December was so popular that I am going to do it again. I will be bringing a 3 - 4 foot tiki down that night and selling raffle tickets for a chance to win it.

Tickets like last time will be 3 for $5.

I'll get a photo of the tiki up within the week...

On 2005-02-09 13:43, EsQui wrote:
I'll be there with Lissette. We can't wait to come out of hibernation. Today I'll be carving the 3rd of 4 new 13x19" tiki woodcut prints that I'll be releasing at Trader Vic's. I'll give up a couple for the raffle, and hopefully sell enough to cover our bar tab!

Here is a big tip for anyone reluctant to come because of parking, and for those that are paying for parking: Along Monroe St. near the hotel there is free parking after 6pm at the parking meters. It is a tow zone between 4-6, but if you get there around 5:50pm you can beat the competion and wait in your car until 6. We do this every time we go. Even if you don't mind paying $20 for parking, do this and use the money to buy art from me. My art looks better framed than a parking lot stub (usually!).

See you there!

EsQui

When I went to Disneyland for the Enchanted Tiki Room anniversary & Shag Wait-in-Line-athon I had Shag sign my parking stub, maybe I should frame it... But your art should still look better.

Does Trader Vic's have good food? The wahine and I are hoping to stop in early and get a bite to eat and score a good seat.

Any menu suggestions?

The jury is still out on whether I can make
it...will probably be a "gametime" decision...as they say in the sports world.
Chicago is a loooong frickin' ride from
the congatiki room...but on tuesday morning
I could just decide to pull out of work and
get the Buick out for a cruise....sounds like a great turnout...

On 2005-02-10 08:55, congatiki wrote:
The jury is still out on whether I can make
it...will probably be a "gametime" decision...as they say in the sports world.
Chicago is a loooong frickin' ride from
the congatiki room...but on tuesday morning
I could just decide to pull out of work and
get the Buick out for a cruise....sounds like a great turnout...

Come on down, it will be a great chance for us to hang out!

On 2005-02-10 08:47, finkdaddy wrote:
Does Trader Vic's have good food? The wahine and I are hoping to stop in early and get a bite to eat and score a good seat.

Any menu suggestions?

I say save your money for the drinks, tiki vendors and raffle tickets and fill up on the comp appetizers. We veterans find our stomachs plenty filled by the end of the night... do get there early for a seat though...

'Course if you'd like to order something off the menu go right ahead...

On 2005-02-10 09:28, Lake Surfer wrote:

I say save your money for the drinks, tiki vendors and raffle tickets and fill up on the comp appetizers. We veterans find our stomachs plenty filled by the end of the night... do get there early for a seat though...

'Course if you'd like to order something off the menu go right ahead...

Very good, thanks for the advice. I'm going down with tax return money, so I get to have fun for a change! I'll buy plenty of tickets, Dave, and maybe more. See ya there!

Rumor has it that the management are cutting back a bit on the comp pupus. They'll probably be gone by 8:00, in fact.

The food at Trader Vic's is a bit expensive but very good. If it's your first time there, I'd splurge and get a good meal. Those of you relying on the comp pupus for dinner might want to either eat before coming, or bring some extra dinner money.

Thanks for all of your enthusiasm this month! I haven't even posted an official announcement yet, because you guys seem to have the buzz started for me.

Brings a tear to the eye, it does.

alright..alright...Mrs. Congatiki can't
make the trip by I'm gonna grab my fellow
conga-banger menster Ves to make the trip...
will be great to see the midwest tcers.

E
EsQui posted on Thu, Feb 10, 2005 2:26 PM

It'll be great to see you again, CongaTiki! My cats creep around like they are in a jungle when I put on your cd. Lissette says hello.

EsQui

Me and the gang are going to be there . going to try to get there earlier so we make it into the actual bar this time. maybe I will even be able to figure out who the TC'er are.Just starred into the bar with my mouth hanging open in awe of the great show last time! Great fun!
Melody

On 2005-02-10 11:18, tikibars wrote:
Rumor has it that the management are cutting back a bit on the comp pupus. They'll probably be gone by 8:00, in fact.

Figured that was a matter of time... no worries... not like there isn't a ton of great restaurants in Chicago to grab a bite on the way... :wink:

T

IMPORTANT!

Read this!

I regret to inform you all that February 16 (tomorrow) MAY be the LAST Tabu Tiki Nights.

This is not my descision, nor is it the descision of Trader Vic's.

As you all know, AJ, the General Manager of Trader Vic's, was the one who came to me with the idea to do this event, and he is completely on our team when it comes to doing Tiki events. He loves Tabu Tiki Nights - they're his favorite part of the job, in fact (he told me so!).

The cancellation order came from the new Food and Beverage Director of the Palmer House Hilton, who did not think that the profit margin from the past events made it worth doing.

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2005-02-15 20:32 ]

M

DANG! You are talking about tommorrow night!! THat is pretty shi^^y of them to give such last minute notice. This manager has no manners! What a JERK! I give him an eternal "RAZZ!" unless he cleans up his act!

dammitall...was really looking forward
to finally catching the party...thanks for
the heads up Tikibars...I was able to
cancel my reservation at the Palmer (just
in time)...it's such a long cruise that I'm
just gonna wait 'n' see if they do another
"night" in the future...although it sounds
pretty shakey. Hello to EsQuie...
Lissette....Finkdaddy...lakeSurfer and
the rest of you midwesterners...see ya
another time

T

STOP THE PRESSES!

I just got off of the phone with AJ, and he and I are going to pay for tomorrow night's event out of our own pockets.

The event for tomorrow is ON.

We have formulated a plan to save the event long-term, but nothing is finalized. Come on out tomorrow night!

Pages: 1 22 replies