Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

More projects 3 Gods carved TikiBar

Pages: 1 24 replies

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-06-14 07:36 ]

Have this about half completed at this point.Thanks in advance for any suggestions.I appreciate it very much.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-04 08:22 ]

Just saw this post. The front looks great. Are you planning on carving a little into the wood for a low relief? Not that I suggest you do that, I really think it looks great as is!

As for the top...you mean the bar-top surface right? How about a mosaic? Or ceramic tile? A plain ol' slab of a dark stained wood (and treated to prevent moisture) would look great with the look you have going. Maybe with a carved tapa pattern along the edge?

Oh...and don't get discouraged if nobody answers your questions right away...I find that it often takes time to get any answers. Lord knows I'm still waiting on some. :)

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2005-02-04 08:09 ]

Sonofabeach, hey I like saying that.

How did you do that?

HEY! Slacks.Not discouraged,just worded it wrong.Changed it to read correct.I am sure it will be sold and worry about the tile being damaged in transit.Like the suggestion on the tapa along the edge.Like to see some examples if anyone has any avaliable to post..Sounds good and thanks much.

Sometimes I feel LiKe A oNe LeggEd MaN In aN ASs KiCkInG cOnTeSt.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-04 09:18 ]

On 2005-02-04 08:16, Jungle Trader wrote:

How did you do that?

Just used a 4' grinding wheel.Takes some practice to get the widths,depths,and various shades when burning the wood.Faster passes will give a lighter shade and slower,darker.Just have to be carefull not to penetrate the first lawyer as it tends to cut to deep and turns to wash.Especially in the tight areas.

C

I think this is really cool Sonofabeach...
nice effort....I'm sure your finished
product will be fine...shit..I don't even
care if you put Buffet on it!

F

That is very, very cool. Did you do the shading with the grinder as well? or did you use a wood burner?

It's a great idea, keep us posted.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-06-14 07:35 ]

On 2005-02-04 09:25, finkdaddy wrote:
That is very, very cool. Did you do the shading with the grinder as well? or did you use a wood burner?

It's a great idea, keep us posted.

Thanks.Yea! Used the grinder for this one so far..Although I have found a pencil burner to come in handy at times in past projects.Sure I will find the need as I progress with this one as well.

On 2005-02-04 09:46, sonofabeach wrote:
As long as I am carving something with a tropical theme.I am wearing a Happy face.

Somehow I think you'd even be happy carving a flaming moose...

On 2005-02-04 08:16, Jungle Trader wrote:

How did you do that?

Well! I'll tell ya! I started with the son and added the of while I was at a beach.Son-of-a-beach Sonofabeach.Pretty simple actully.

On 2005-02-04 10:21, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2005-02-04 09:46, sonofabeach wrote:
As long as I am carving something with a tropical theme.I am wearing a Happy face.

Somehow I think you'd even be happy carving a flaming moose...

You may be right.Flammin mooses or abstract tiki.I cant seem to give that thing away.Any takers.

S

That looks really cool your very talented

Hey Sonofabeach, that bar front looks great. I'm not sure of a bartop for it, any nice wood with a clean clearcoat on it. I say keep the focal point on your carvings, you have to spot light those dudes on the front, either from below or above! Nice work.

On 2005-02-05 18:13, scaperman wrote:
That looks really cool your very talented

You aint seen nothing yet! I can dance like Michael Jackson and Tumble like Evil after a few six packs.Just Kidding.I cant dance alick bud I do fall alot.Thanks

On 2005-02-06 12:22, JimTandem wrote:
Hey Sonofabeach, that bar front looks great. I'm not sure of a bartop for it, any nice wood with a clean clearcoat on it. I say keep the focal point on your carvings, you have to spot light those dudes on the front, either from below or above! Nice work.

Thanks.I hope to keep with the Island Tradition.But sometimes once I get going can get carried away.Knowing me the top will end up having all kinds of stuff on it and i will have to start over and do it again.Cant help myself.Thanks again.Spot lights.Never thought of that.

Thanks Jimtandem.Have the top trim etc. almost complete.Will post it for imput.Hope to get a few good ideas from TC members to finish it off.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-10 08:21 ]

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-06-14 07:37 ]

Nice! The detail is amazing. I love the shading, especially on the legs.

T

something needs to happen with the center guy's left eye right? Show us the finished product
I thought that he looked formiluar, Don the tiki king

SEE YA SOON

[ Edited by: teaKEY on 2005-02-10 09:11 ]

On 2005-02-10 09:06, teaKEY wrote:
something needs to happen with the center guy's left eye right? Show us the finished product
I thought that he looked formiluar, Don the tiki king

SEE YA SOON

[ Edited by: teaKEY on 2005-02-10 09:11 ]

Actully the orginal God went to the museum (0r was it sold) with one one missing.Thought it added a little something extra from a artistic and or conversation point of view.You were the first to notice,or at the very least mention it.Should I leave it or shade it.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-10 09:40 ]

T

Well
Since you have a reason for the missing eye (like in "Kill Bill") then I guess I would leave it be. The tiki Don King

B

Finally we see the third panel finished. Looks good Soab. The center guys eye does look unfinished, but can stay thet wayif you like.

Thanks ben.Not sure yet.Waiting to see the overall finished product.

Pages: 1 24 replies