Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Netscapes Firefox Image Zoom extension.

Pages: 1 21 replies

B

Anyone using Firefox? There is a neat extension called Image Zoom that lets you right click and zoom on any image. Zoom to different strengths. It Really helps if you look at a lot of images.
ALSO, I still have a few more invitations to Gmail if anyone wants to try it.

M

Benz,

I've been using Firefox for a couple months now and I love it. Being a long-time Mac user, I was bummed when Netscape stopped doing upgrades, so I switched to IE. Then, IE stopped doing upgrades for Mac. It's nice to know that SOMEBODY has something new for us. The only feature that IFirefox doesn't have yet that I miss is "Autofill". I know that once you enter info for a specific site it remembers it, but sometimes us Tiki people are in a rush to buy something and not having autofill sets us back.

Another great reason to switch over to Firefox is for its privacy and security features. I've read several articles stating that it's the safest way to browse the internet.

Firefox home page

H

Tabbed browsing rox.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 3:17 PM

It's not that it's more secure, just like a Mac is not more secure than a Windows machine, it's just that it's not a big target.

It also will not completely uninstall. If you want to get rid of Firefox and go back to IE, you will be hosed in some ways. Those pages that look good in IE and wrong in Firefox, may get screwed up forever.

I was hooked onto Firefox by a friend and have never looked back.

I'd love to permanently uninstall IE but stupid windowz won't let me. Did I mention that I've been forced to use to Win ME here at work? How can this get any worse.

A least I have a home computer I love to use!

Thanks Ben, I wasn't aware of that nifty feature!

T
thejab posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 3:42 PM

Since I use a PC at work and a Mac at home I love Firefox's Extension feature called Synchronize Bookmarks which uploads my bookmarks to an ftp site when I go home at night, and downloads them when I start Firefox on my Mac.

And the Adblock extension is great too!

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-02-02 15:43 ]

H

On 2005-02-02 14:58, MachTiki wrote:
The only feature that IFirefox doesn't have yet that I miss is "Autofill". I know that once you enter info for a specific site it remembers it, but sometimes us Tiki people are in a rush to buy something and not having autofill sets us back.

Whatchoo talkin' about? My Firefox has Autofill. But I'm on a PC here at work, maybe it's a Mac/Firefox thing.

For those of you who are open-minded Firefoxy folks, you might also like to meet two of my dearest friends:

GAIM
All-in-one open source instant messaging tool. Lets you run a whole slew of protocols, including AIM, MSN & Yahoo!IM.

GIMP
It's just like Photoshop. Only free. Nuff said.

B

I still use IE Sometimes like getting images from Shutterfly. I haven't figured out how to do that in Firefox.

T

I've used FF for about 3 months and love it, too. I have no problem keeping IE on my machine, though, since I occasionally run into a page that FF has trouble with. Remember, most website builders optimize their pages to IE, so it's a good idea to keep it around just in case.

I wonder if there is a way for bookmarks to open automagically as new tabs instead of having to scroll down and select "Open in new tab"? Anyone know?

T
thejab posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 5:07 PM

On 2005-02-02 16:51, Tiki-bot wrote:

I wonder if there is a way for bookmarks to open automagically as new tabs instead of having to scroll down and select "Open in new tab"? Anyone know?

Go to ToolsOptionsAdvancedTabbed BrowsingSelect new tabs opened from Bookmarks or History

I tried that and it didn't work though.

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-02-02 17:09 ]

T

I had already tried that. Hmmm...

M

On 2005-02-02 16:25, Humuhumu wrote:
Whatchoo talkin' about? My Firefox has Autofill. But I'm on a PC here at work, maybe it's a Mac/Firefox thing.

Humu,

After you posted that I looked again at extensions available to download and sure enough there it was.

Thanks!

T
thejab posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 5:45 PM

On 2005-02-02 17:21, Tiki-bot wrote:
I had already tried that. Hmmm...

Here's one way to open bookmarks in a new tab: If you have a middle scroll wheel on your mouse, if you push it to click on a link it opens it in a new tab. This works for links and bookmarks.

H

On 2005-02-02 17:45, thejab wrote:
Here's one way to open bookmarks in a new tab: If you have a middle scroll wheel on your mouse, if you push it to click on a link it opens it in a new tab. This works for links and bookmarks.

Ooh! Fancy!

T

Works! Cool!

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 8:52 PM

Try Trillian for your instant messenging. It combines AOL, Yahoo, IRC and WinMessenger into one app. All your buddies in one list and such. Pretty nice.

Try the BB Code extension, it gives you a right-click context menu to access BBCode, HTML & XHTML formatting.

T

On 2005-02-02 20:52, Swanky wrote:
Try Trillian for your instant messenging. It combines AOL, Yahoo, IRC and WinMessenger into one app. All your buddies in one list and such. Pretty nice.

I agree with Swanky with trillian, a very good program basic is free, Pro is pay.

Then I found Im2 real close to trillian but completely free

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Feb 4, 2005 8:19 AM

On 2005-02-04 07:59, tikimug wrote:

On 2005-02-02 20:52, Swanky wrote:

I agree with Swanky with trillian, a very good program basic is free, Pro is pay.

Then I found Im2 real close to trillian but completely free

Actually, IM2 is Trillian. They got the code somehow and resold it as a new product. Trillian sued them for it, but I don't knwo what came of it.

H

How does Trillian compare to GAIM?

Just found a cool feature is Firefox while testing the new Tiki Central changes.

They call it "Smart keywords" and it allows you to assign a text keyword to a search box on any page.

The end result is I can type:

tc firefox

in the Address bar, and Firefox will pull up a Tiki Central search for Firefox, on the results page. So now whenever I want to search TC I can just type tc and the keyword I want in the address bar, even if I'm on another site.

How to do it:

• go to Tiki Central's search page
  • Set all the search settings you want (what forums, what type of sorting)
  • Right-click in the search field and choose "add keyword for this search"
  • in the box that opens up, type "Tiki Central search" for the title, and type "tc" for the keyword. Click okay.

Now, when you type tc [keyword] you'll be taken to the search results page for TC. if you're a shortcut guy like I am, you can press CTRL-L to put your cursor in the address bar, then type out your search. It's very cool.

I've set a few up for various sites already.

B

Another way to open a bookmark is to Drag it to the "New Tab" icon on the tolbar.. Neat.
Don't have the New Tab icon on your toolbar? Right click the toolbar and choose Customize. Drag the new icon to where ever you want it on your toolbar, More neat.

Pages: 1 21 replies