Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

anyone have the old wooden tiki mugs from the aku-aku in vegas??

Pages: 1 3 replies

Ran into a guy and his wife who worked as a waitress at the aku-aku in vegas back when it first opened. she said they originally used these wooden mugs that looked like faux bamboo or something. Shortly after opening, the health dept. cracked down on the place due to the mugs being unsanitary because they were wood and could harbor bacteria. that's about when the ceramic mugs appeared on the scene and the wood ones were 86'd. - anyone have one of these or seen them?? how many times have we passed by them in thrift stores and antique shops?? or are they long since gone....

This one (and the accompanying wooden swizzles) came from the Aku Aku sometime in the 60's. My aunt moved to Vegas in the mid 60's and the Aku Aku was one of her favorite restaurants. Happily for me, she held on to this mug, the swizzle sticks, two of their classic Ku mugs, and four or five black moai mugs.
The menu shows another bamboo mug with the Aku Aku name on it but I have yet to see one of those.

J

How cool is that? Tipsy, ask and you shall receive! I f-in' love this place!

I recently sold a different one on eBay. It was a plain wooden mug with black letters on the side spelling "Aku Aku."

I believe Kohalacharms bought it.

Pages: 1 3 replies