Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

I heart Don Tiki

Pages: 1 14 replies

F

I just got two Don Tiki albums: The Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki, and Skinny Dip With Don Tiki.

I can't believe how cool they are. My favorite songs are Heat and Pinakbet from the Skinny Dip album.

Has anyone eaten pinakbet before? I'm just curious what it is.

last nite i was digging on the don tiki music video for "an occasional man" on sven's tiki archaeology dvd

my fave don tiki song so far is "natives are restless," but i admit i haven't experienced the full discography.

K

It's basically stewed vegetables...I get it sometimes at a filipino take-out place in Waikiki. I think it usually has pumkin in it too..although I suppose they use whatever is seasonal. You should check out the new Don Tiki Adulturized CD of some of their songs remixed. I particularly like "Bwana Banana" remixed.
Cheers,
John

D

DonTiki? Never heard of 'em.

T

Bamboozled, from Forbidden Sounds... is my favorite!

I love Don Tiki!

Ooooh, I have both cds and love them! I'd say my favorites would be "Pinakbet","The Natives Are Restless","That Hypnotizing Man","Terminal","Heat", and that song that I keep forgetting how it's spelled right before "That Hypnotizing Man"...well, pretty much all of it.

And thanks for letting me know what Pinakbet is. It's been driving me nuts. Debuggah!

DZ

On 2005-02-03 23:08, DawnTiki wrote:

And I'll bet they've nver heard of YOU! :P

(Love ya, Dawn!)

Another thing cool about Don Tiki...

I ordered the albums from their web site. When they arrived, there was a hand-written post card tucked inside from Fluid Floyd (their manager and sometimes percusionist)thanking me for for including them in my tiki music collection.

Very classy I thought.

Doctor Z wrote:

And I'll bet they've nver heard of YOU!

OUCH! The natives are restless tonight! ...snicker...

I love Pinakbet, too. Great song. I was on a cruise from New Zealand to Tahiti and ultimately to Hawaii in 2003, and my assistant waiter was from the Phillipines. So about 1/2 way thru the cruise I asked him to describe pinakbet, which he did. I said is it in anyway possible to get one of the chefs to make me a Pinakbet. He assured me they could, but the chef said without the certain melons and squashes it wouldn't really be right. So, I was dissappointed.

Are there more than the two Don Tiki albums, and do they ever tour to the mainland?

jc

On 2005-02-03 23:08, DawnTiki wrote:

:lol:

K

The remixed version of "Bwana Banana" was just used at the Miss Hawaii USA Pageant for the swimsuit competition...pretty cool.

Don Tiki have 3 CD's total right now. "The Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki","Skinny Dip" and "Adulterated" (the Remix Project). All are essential listening as they are the true leading torch bearers of Exotica music handed down from Martin Denny himself. They played the Mainland twice. Once at the "Bon Voyage Kahiki" party in 2000 and just last year they had a few stints in Las Vegas. They don't travel much as the band is quite large and very expensive to bring over here. Look for a full blown Don Tiki article/interview in Tiki Magazine #3 brought to you by yours truly. Shhh.... (don't tell anyone).

Mahalo,
Jeff

Pinakbet must have ampalya (english: bittermelon chinese: fu-gua/ku-gua) for sure. Usually get eggplant and okra too. Can be veg, or you can add pork, n den da sauce is bagoong (fish sauce).

"fortunato told me how... he said u just kaukau da buggah!"

Yeah, thats one of my favorite tracks from that album too. Also you might note that WAITIKI's drummer and co-founder Abe Lagrimas a.k.a. The Space Kadet is the Don Tiki drummer on that album.

P.S. WAITIKI's coming out with its debut album early this Fall!

Ooh. Here's a link to a recipe I just found:

http://www.tribo.org/filipinofood/recipes/pinakbet.html

Pages: 1 14 replies