Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Purses made from Hawaiian SHirts

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

I have this problem that I keep buying old hawaiian shirts but don't wear them as I am a wahine and they make me look like a sack-o-potatoes when I do. SO I had an idea to make cocktail purses out of the vintage fabric and buttons, and sew the original 'Ui-Maikai' (or whatever) tag inside, or maybe even on the oustide if the tag is cool enough.

I bought an old 50's cocktail purse pattern (square, boxy thing with drawstring top) on Ebay... and once I find out what the hell 'bunting' is, I'm gonna make one for myself.

My question is, is anyone else interested in a tiki purse, and how much would you pay for it, if it was very well made and made from a vintage hawaiian shirt?

Arrrrggghhh...that's a horrible idea!
It's like smashing up Tiki mugs to make a mosaic!

SOS -Save our shirts

Trader Woody

T

I don't think I'd buy a purse (unless the future Ms. Right is into tiki), but a quilt made from old hawaiian shirts would be very cool! I've got a lot of old concert T-shirts that I'd like to have made into a quilt or wall hanging someday. That's my right-brain output for the day!

L
laney posted on Wed, Oct 9, 2002 10:01 AM

I have the same shirt problem. I find tons of old men's shirts in size Medium. Guys don't want that size any more and I can hardly give them away on ebay. I always thought of making pillows with a plain fabric back. The purse idea is good but as a vintage clothing collector there are tons of cool vintage purses out there (women always kept their purses)It just seems like a lot of work for little profit (unless you are a pro-seamstress)
At the artisan fair on Martha's Vineyard there is a lady who sells bags, backpacks, and purses made from old barkcloth and repro barkcloth. They are very expensive but her booth is buzzing every year.
I'd say make one for yourself and see how many comments you get. Tell people you made it and often they'll want one too. That's what I do with my jewelry. GOOD LUCK!

Go for it! I have seen some sexy hula/pin up purses with bamboo handles sell in trendy spots in LA from $40.00-$60.00.

MC

I think it's a great way to "rescue" fabric which for any reason may not be worn or used. I respect trader Woody concerns and would suggets using shirts which are less than good condition. (Keep the best ones for the boys!!)

ALOHA SHIRT BUTCHERY:

I just sold 2 lots of vintage aloha shirts (they're in excellent condition & of varying sizes...& some are quite old) on eBay to the same bidder. Here's what she emailed me:

"...I am interested in any vintage hawaiian shirts size med and up, actually the bigger the better. I make recycled clothing and turn them into skirts..."

NOOOOOOOOO.....

I was gutted! It was as if I had inadvertedly sold my forest to loggers (well, no, not really that gutted).

She must charge a ton for the skirts too - considering the final price of the auction along w/ having the shirts shipped from the U.K. to the States.

I don't have a problem w/ "rescuing" fabric which may otherwise not be usable (I've done it myself), BUT cutting up perfectly fine vintage wear makes me cringe!!!

Of course, I won't reneg on her. I even offered to go through my shirt collection to see if I have any irregulars or damaged shirts that she could use. I just hate to think that some of those perfectly healthy lovelies are going to have to go under the knife!

The idea of aloha skirts is clever. For those of you considering aloha purses, this may be another option for you. Just please consider the condition, value, worth, history, etc. of the shirt before "recycling" it.

Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-10-13 03:05 ]

D

WHAT A FAB IDEA! AS A VINTAGE PURSE COLLECTOR MYSELF...THAT IS SOMETHING I WOULD DEFINITELY PURCHASE AND USE EVERYDAY FOR MYSELF. VINTAGE PURSES CAN BE TOO-TOO SMALL FOR ALL MY "STUFF" SOMETIMES, SO I'D LOVE TO FIND SOMETHING MADE BIGGER TO HOLD MY "STUFF" FOR EVERYDAY USE. WOULD PAY HIGH PRICE FOR IT ALSO. I SOOO WISH I WAS A SEAMSTRESS...BECAUSE I'VE GOT TONS OF LEFTOVER BARKCLOTH FROM FURNISHING OUR HOME, AND WITH ALL THE CRAZY HAWAIIAN SHIRTS MY HUSBAND, GOGO HAS IN THE CLOSET...I'D BE IN PURSE HEAVEN. EMEE WHEN YOU GET SOME SEWN UP...PLEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

[ Edited by: DEBAGOGO on 2002-10-21 08:14 ]

On 2002-10-21 08:10, DEBAGOGO wrote:
WHAT A FAB IDEA!

DEBAGOGO,
YOUR ENTHUSIASM IS DELIGHTFUL, BUT PLEASE STOP WITH THE all caps yelling. It makes my eyes sore.

Thanks,
Tiki Chris

TikiMikey,

When you mentioned concert shirts made into a quilt it reminded me of the time I saw Frank Zappa and the MOI at the Santa Monica Civic in 1979 (ouch).

Frank came on stage and asked the women (and maybe some men) to take off their panties and bras and toss them on stage. After a visual (and olfactoral!) inspection of each, FZ said they were going to make a quilt out of the collection of these items gathered on the tour. I hear the quilt is (or was) on display at a Hard Rock Cafe in the New (as opposed to Old) York area.

"Evelyn, the modified dog, viewed the quivering fringe of the special doily, draped across the piano with some dismay; when a curious breeze of garlic breath that sounded like a snore, came from somewhere in the Steinway or even from within. Evelyn, the modified dog, pondered the significance of peddle-depressed pan-chromatic resonance -ARF she said" FZ

A thing of tiki is a joy forever

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-10-21 09:20 ]

T

I doubt any of the shirts in question are the sorts that you need to get worried about. No one wants to buy 'small' hawaiian shirts anyway. I like to think I would be giving them new life. Much better made into a purse that I use everyday, than to hang in my closet as moth food.

A pyschologist writes,

"Ah, most interesting. Just see how
the reaction to TikiFish's suggestion differs according to gender. For the male, the Aloha shirt is his plumage and represents his masculinity, and thus his penis. The act of cutting up the Aloha
shirt therefore represents a psychological castration of the male. The pieces of cut shirt are then tuned into a purse, representing a subsequent insult to the male psyche as the 'penis' is then turned into a 'vagina'.
No wonder Tiki Chris & Trader Woody recoiled with horror at this idea.

Perhaps more worrying is the glee with which many of the females embraced the shirt into purse idea; one going so far as to type in capital letters in her haste and willingness to 'castrate' the male members of TikiCentral. Perhaps these males would be wise to grasp their Tiki mugs more tightly if they were to see a female coming towards them clutching an Aloha purse."

Trader Woody

A

Shelley makes these purses. She uses fabric instead old shirts. It's probably way cheaper and some of the new fabric is pretty cool. Shelley says the small purse cost her $4.00.
Mahalo,
Al
PS. good one Woody.

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2002-10-22 08:55 ]

Trader Woody,

Excellent Freudian analysis of Tiki Shirts. Now I know why I always wanted to sleep with my mother's muu muu.

I think I prefer AlnShelly's idea. New fabric would not only be cheap (if you know where to shop), but also sturdier than fabric from an older shirt. Purses made with older fabric would probably tend to rip and wear out more easily.

I too enjoy a fine muu-muu
But as I ponder over a tall cold beer...
It seems maybe you'd be better off making a SILK purse out of a SOW'S ear.

L
laney posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2002 3:50 AM

Yea Woody, You must be right! That is why no one wants small or even medium shirts!! CUT, CUT, CUT away! I like large, XL, and even XXXL

Pages: 1 16 replies