Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Pub Tiki mugs...

Pages: 1 24 replies

Does anyone know how many different Pub Tiki mugs there were?

Is 'Pub' a brand or do you mean different mugs from different pubs?

On 2005-02-06 09:41, tomanikitiki wrote:
Is 'Pub' a brand or do you mean different mugs from different pubs?

I believe they want to know how many different mugs was used by the now defunct bar named "Pub Tiki" in Philadelphia.

HT

Just so everyone can scoff, the former location of Pub Tiki is now a Cosi and a chi=chi clothing store for rich old women.

J

I'm not aware of how many different mugs Pub Tiki used but below is a pic of one of their mugs in my collection that remains one of my all-time favorites...

What does the 1 and 1/2 (?) refer to? Hopefully not the amount of free parking mentioned on the matchbook.

J

Sadly, I think the 1 1/2 does refer to the free parking situation - I remember hearing other theories of what it could mean but that seems the most obvious...

E
Erika posted on Mon, Feb 7, 2005 10:05 AM

On 2005-02-07 09:05, johntiki wrote:
Sadly, I think the 1 1/2 does refer to the free parking situation - I remember hearing other theories . . . .

At The Pub restaurant in Pennsauken, N.J.---a surviving non-tiki-themed relative of Pub Tiki---there's a "1 1/2" in the logo design on their current drink glasses (clear glass one-pint glasses). The restaurant has its own big parking lot with no time limit, so I'm pretty sure the 1 1/2 refers to the generous liquor content of their mixed drinks. (Though I guess the meaning could have changed over time or space [crowded Center City Philly vs. more roomy Pennsauken].)

HT

I have heard fromo old Philadelphians that it was 1 1/2 times the liquor. Well, at least one, anyway.

On 2005-02-07 10:05, Erika wrote:

On 2005-02-07 09:05, johntiki wrote:
Sadly, I think the 1 1/2 does refer to the free parking situation - I remember hearing other theories . . . .

At The Pub restaurant in Pennsauken, N.J.---a surviving non-tiki-themed relative of Pub Tiki---there's a "1 1/2" in the logo design on their current drink glasses (clear glass one-pint glasses). The restaurant has its own big parking lot with no time limit, so I'm pretty sure the 1 1/2 refers to the generous liquor content of their mixed drinks. (Though I guess the meaning could have changed over time or space [crowded Center City Philly vs. more roomy Pennsauken].)

look at the photo of johntiki's mug. he has a matchbook that says "1 1/2 hours free parking." the same matchbook is in tikiquest pg 130.

...liquor in the front, poker in the rear...

[ Edited by: the drunken hat on 2005-02-07 12:57 ]

There's no mention of the 1 and 1/2 on their website, but that's not too surprising I guess.

J

May not be a mug...but check this out. Up on Ebay now is the Pub Tiki Menu! I've never seen one before so I quickly added the pics to my Shutterfly account - Tiki Wants folder...I have the feeling the price is gonna skyrocket!

I'll know you'll enjoy adding this one to your collection Kohalacharms! :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1437&item=6515629235&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It is interesting to note that the artwork around the upper edge seems to be the same than on the "Hawaiian" menu on page 157 of the BOT.

Just added this to the collection - Nice, very unpolitically-correct 1-page ad from the mid-1950s for Pub Tiki by comic artist Jack Davis. You may recognize his artwork from EC Comics, Mad Magazine, and many record album covers.

Again, we have the 1 1/2 hours free parking prominently advertised.

Sabu

wow, what a great piece of history sabu!

great addition to your collection!

What a classic, Tim.
Man, the parking situation must have really sucked there to make such a big deal out of free parking! Like "..these Mai Tais suck, but hey, we got 1 and 1/2 hours free parking, yeah!!!"

J

I think this cartoon will finally put to rest any rumors that the mysterious 1 1/2 is related to anything besides parking. Why did they waste their time calling it Pub Tiki anyway? They should have gone with something a little more catchy like... Free Parking's Pub Tiki.

O
Otto posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2018 3:55 PM

saw this online and wanted to add it to Locating Tiki but could only find this listing about the mysterious Pub Tiki

Thi is the only mug we have ever found. Got it on eBay 15 or more years ago. I hope it's the same place.

The tiki handle is not very refined.

Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-04-22 14:52 ]

T

On 2018-04-22 14:51, danlovestikis wrote:
This is the only mug we have ever found. Got it on eBay 15 or more years ago. I hope it's the same place.

I'd say it's the same place alright! The font is bang on and really......Pub Tiki is such a different and unique name there can't be too many!

That is a great mug Wendy and I'd say is very rare. That design with the handle is crazy cool. I think it belongs in the CryptoMugs thread myself but we can leave that to the masses on here :)

TabooDan

TabooDan thank you for the suggestion. It's fun to have a rare mug. Wendy

Here is our other Pub Tiki mug.

Wendy

uncle trav what a great thread, thank you. They have this mug but this post doesn't so I'll add it here.

We had forgotten we had this one. It was so much fun to just stumble across it.

Wendy

Dan's doing some rearraigning of his tiki collection and found this mug. It was a fun discovery. Wendy

Pages: 1 24 replies