Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bundaberg Rum -Aussies finest?

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

I had the rare experience last night trying what I was told by the Aussie who gave it to me (stereotypically named Bruce if you can beleive it), the finest Rum Australia had to offer. It was named Bundeburg Rum, has a proof of 117 and was as smooth as silk - nice smokey carmel taste and very little burn going down.

I was curious if anybody out there had tried this particuler brand and your take on it. I would like to hunt down a bottle for further experiment but don't know anyone who lives in or is going to the "BIG" Island soon. What Bruce told me was it was only available in Australia.

Ya can't go wrong with Stubbs either.

I was surprised. Picked up a 750mL of Stubbs for $6.99 and it ended up being a pretty decent rum. It's no SeaWynde, but it can be sipped quite easily.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 7, 2005 7:48 PM

Mate, I love me Bundy!

If an aussie doesn't drink beer, he drinks bundy - simple as that.

Is it the best rum in Australia? I got no idea, cause i dont drink other rums. As I said, i love me bundy. I usually drink it with coke, not straight though. i will have to try this.

Their website is at the following link: http://www.bundabergrum.com.au

I looked up ordering for you (quoted from website):
I don't live inside Australia, can I still order Bundaberg Rum Merchandise?
Of course you can! Please e-mail for a quote on posting overseas. Please include the area to which the parcel will be delivered and what you would like delivered.

Unfortuneately, my name is not bruce. But my nickname is an abbreviation of my surname in true aussie fashion.

One more thing, the bundy emblem is a polar bear - yes, an Aussie rum has a polar bear for its logo. If I can remember, it is becuase it will warm you from the most wicked chill (I think, but cannot confirm for sure).

M

Hey man, hows things down under?

Bruce said he only drinks it is winter to keep the chill off his bones. The rest of the time he drinks beer. I must say it was mighty fine sipping Rum. Thanks for the website link. I did try that but if you look carefully, they are only selling the t-shirts and hats and such on the site. I did see the Q&A section but it does say it is for the merch not the Booze. And I love the logo. Oh, well, any chance you wanna pick me up a litre and ship to me in Oregon? LMK.

Cheers!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 8, 2005 6:58 PM
H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 8, 2005 7:06 PM

I had another look and got this for America:

Sorry but Bundaberg Rum products are not available in your country at the moment. We cannot export alcohol so please do not contact us. As more countries become available we will update this section.

I will look into the price of sending a bottle over. I am guessing you want a bottle of UP (underproof)? There is also OP (overproof) which is stronger, plus a variety of mixes and other stuff. Look under products on their website for more details if you want.

UP rum is the standard rum, if that helps.I am guessing that is what you drank. It is a light tea colour, whereas OP is a dark tea colour. Again, look under products section on the site and it has pictures of the two.

Hewey,

I PM'ed you a coupleof days ago about this. Please get back to me.

Thanks Mate!

On 2005-02-06 14:48, Maori_man wrote:
What Bruce told me was it was only available in Australia.

You can get it in the UK, but that's probably beacuse of the huge Australian bar staff population we have over here. I keep seeing it and thinking "hmmmm......that could be interesting", then thinking " http://www.thechurch.co.uk/beginning.htm ".

Sounds better than expected - must try it sometime.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2005-02-10 13:54 ]

M

On 2005-02-10 13:51, Trader Woody wrote:

http://www.thechurch.co.uk/beginning.htm ".

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2005-02-10 13:54 ]

What a horror. The performers page says it all. That brings back memories of my time living in "Kangaroo Court"....

M

Aaaahh Bundy!

I've got a soft spot for Bundy. It's the quintessential Aussie Spirit... usually drunk with Coca-Cola. It got to the point where, in some states, Pubs would carry a bundy and Cola premix - from a draught tap! I have to admit that I really like Bundy and Cola draught. As far as rums go, I reckon it's pretty close in flavour to Cap'n Morgan (regular, not Spiced). It's not a bad rum, just not a really good one. It also comes in overproof which isn't too bad...

Kev.

I seem to remember a "Bundy Black" when I was down there, but have not seen or heard mention of it since.

I also remeber Pre-mixed cans of Ouzo and Coke sold from vending machines in Victoria.

T

My thesis advisor from grad school went to Australia on sabattical and picked up a few bottles of the overproof. He was never good enough to share it, but said it was his favorite rum.

H

I looked into sending some Bundy over for Maori Man and can't because of US customs/imports/postal laws. Otherwise I would start exporting it for TCers :D

What luck I have! My li'l brother lives in Oz and is coming back stateside for Xmas. He's offered to transpo for me some rum that I can't get in the US. I've asked for Havana Club. He offered Bundaberg, too.

Can anyone with knowledge of Australian distribution make any suggestions of brands that are tough to get in the US? I live in Virginia, where the state runs the liquor stores, so the choices are rather shallow.

Pages: 1 13 replies