Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Westwood mugs

Pages: 1 2 replies

D

Hi there, I'm new to the game and was wondering if westwood mugs have any markings on the bottom?
I aquired one at a thrift store and a friend of mine says it's a westwood but only because it looks like one. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about but I'm curious if these mugs normally have anything in the bottom.

There will undoubtably be people here with large (complete?) Westwood mug collections, but certainly the few I have have markings on the bottom. A couple have "Westwood Tiki Mug handcraeted in Japan" on the bottom. The poor spelling is theirs....hand created...hand crafted....who knows? Another has just a number followed by 'Westwood Japan'.

My impression is that these were made during the cheapo 'Made in Japan' period before the country became a financial powerhouse. Cheaply made, piled high, sold cheap.

Saying that, the Westwood mugs have a definite charm and all collections should contain at least one example.

More info, though please.

Trader Woody

Dave, Westwood mugs have a distinct look to them. If you post a picture of the mug, I would be able to tell you my "expert" opinion on whether or not it was in fact manufactured by Westwood (I have about a handful of different Westwood mugs in my collection).

A little more info for the tiki investigator:
Westwoods are characterized by their light weight. I know they made large sets of dining wear, which included mugs, s&p shakers, pitchers, napkin holders, etc. I would think that many of the Westwood pieces in circulation originally came from the sets, which may very well be the reason they are made "cheaply," as Woody put it.

[ Edited by: TikiManiac on 2002-10-09 17:42 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies