Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Damaged/Imperfect Mugs

Pages: 1 2 replies

I was heartened to read in the mug-repair thread that there are a number of collectors out there who are willing to buy
mugs with some amount of damage or defects. Those who insist on getting mint examples, with stickers on the bottom etc., strike me as being a little uptight about the whole mug
collecting thing. Obviously, it's nice to have a mug in as good a condition as possible, but I'd never pass on a mug I didn't havejust because it lacked a little paint, had a hairline fracture, or the
odd chip here & there. Plus, you get them much more cheaply!

Both my Mr Bali Hai mugs are missing a nose bone on one side, but I got the pair of them for less than half what a single mint one
would go for. As time goes by, my affection for them grows. Their little imperfection that rendered them unwanted by others actually makes them more interesting in a funny sort of way.

Trader Woody

I recently scored these on ebay.
The male has been repaired/reattached, but they were so sexy, & the price was right, so I coulnt resist!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2055636038&rd=1

See, there you go....a great pair of Trader Dicks mugs for a pittance. You'd never even know there was a defect if you saw them on a shelf.

Great buy!
Trader Woody

Pages: 1 2 replies