Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Jimmy Smith R.I.P.

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

I was going to poste this in Bilge but it's big news to me. I am a big fan. Luckily I got to see him at Bimbo's in San Francisco a couple of years ago. He wasn't even that drunk on stage!

Last Saturday I found a couple of his records that I didn't have at a garage sale.

And he was due to play 5 dates in Oakland at Yoshi's next week.

What a shock!

http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/JimmySmith

http://www.livedaily.com/news/7667.html?t=70

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1496736/20050209/smith_jimmy_1_.jhtm

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-02-09 11:48 ]

the only upside is that my local public radio station has been playing him all day.

Sad.

-Z

V
virani posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2005 1:32 PM

damn, I also loved his music...

T

I was blessed with an opportunity to work with Jimmy about 5 years ago. He doesn't travel with his own organ (no jokes, please, this is a serious matter), so we had to make sure one was rented for him (I said, NO JOKES).

We called literally every single instrument rental house in the midwest, and had about five trucks lined up in the alley behind the venue. Jimmy came in and played the one we thought was the best (and had set up on stage). He said "This organ sucks!". So we had it carted away. The next one was brought in, and set up, and he played it...
"This organ sucks!".

So one at a time, each rental house brought their instrument in, and he hated them all.

So we brought the very first one back in, since he hated theem all equally, but the rest of us agreed it was the bst of the bunch. We talked to his manager, who was going to break the news to Jimmy that he'd have to perform on an "inferior" organ (It was in perfect condition!).

While we were having the talk, Jimmy had sat down at the organ, had been playing it while we were talking, and (not realizing it was one of the ones he'd played already) he said "Ah, finally, a good one!".

The gig was smokin'.

T
thejab posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2005 7:07 PM

I was waitin' to see you post that story JT. Too funny!

When I last saw Jimmy Smith at Bimbo's a woman who was very intoxicated was singing (if you can call it that) to the song he was playing. So, he stops playing and stops the band so he can say "Go ahead lady, it's your show now, let's hear you!". She quickly shut up.

HK

Damn...another great one gone...If any jazz/blues fans out there haven't heard the stuff Jimmy recorded with Kenny Burrell, do yourself a favor and check it out.

J

M

I was really sorry to read this yesterday- Jimmy was an incredible talent and I've been a big fan for a long time. I was lucky enough to see a show once in 1999 at Bimbo's (same show, jab?) and he was hot. He was paired up with his protégé Joey DeFrancesco and they just smoked. Joey is hotter than hell in his own right, but more flash and less soul IMHO. The night was captured on a live album called "Incredible!" and it is. You can pick it up at Amazon. (remember to use the TC Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/tikiroomcom ) I think it's the only live album I was actually in the audience for, so it's special to me.

For classic Jimmy Smith, may I suggest the following:

-I'm Movin' On (with Grant Green on guitar!) and one of my all time favorite Blue Note album covers.
-Back at the Chicken Shack
-Home Cookin'
-A New Sound...A New Star: Jimmy Smith at the organ vol. 1-3 (on a 2cd set)

(all blue note)

Check out the master!

[ Edited by: martiki on 2005-02-10 10:29 ]

T

*On 2005-02-10 10:26, martiki wrote:*I was lucky enough to see a show once in 1999 at Bimbo's (same show, jab?) and he was hot. He was paired up with his protégé Joey DeFrancesco and they just smoked. Joey is hotter than hell in his own right, but more flash and less soul IMHO. The night was captured on a live album called "Incredible!" and it is.

No, I missed that one but I caught the exact same lineup at Bimbo's a couple of years ago. After that show, I immediately found and bought the "Incredible!" CD. I didn't know you were in the audience Martin, now I need to get your autograph on it!

Joey DeFrancesco is doing a Jimmy Smith tribute show at Yoshi's next week (he was supposed to be playing with the master). I'm thinking of going. Perhaps Thursday the 17th. for the late show at 10:00. Anyone else into it? I'm sure there won't be a dry eye in the house.

Man, this is a bummer. "House Party" was a constant in my cd changer for cocktail parties. I was looking forward to seeing him in Oakland. Perhaps I'll hook up with you, TheJab for the tribute. Thanks, Jimmy.

-Weird Unc

T

GOD does that suck! strange, cause i was doing a search on Jimmy a few days ago trying to see if he was playing in LA any time soon. saw him at the old Catalina years ago.

"The Cat" has to go down as one of the absolute coolest albums of all time. also, check out "Root Down" for that James Brown Band style 70s funk version of Jimmy. his jazz version of "Peter and the Wolf" is pretty amazing too. each album was a slight change in direction for him. a great innovator indeed.

although i'm not gay, i'm a sucker for a swingin' organ! (ok...sorry)

cheers, Jimmy! thanks for all the great sounds!!

Pages: 1 9 replies