Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki bar-apartment style

Pages: 1 2 replies

D

I've got a good starter collection going of tiki stuff and old barware. I would love to have a tiki bar in my apartment. The only problem is that I do live in an apartment so that means no stapling matting to the ceiling, walls, etc. I plan on finding a cool bar this spring/summer at a garage sale/flea market/estate sale, and I won't rest till I find it. I just need some suggestions on decorating without tearing the apartment up and without it looking like a temporary decoration thing. I'm so sick of the weather out here, and between work and school I need to have a tiki place to relax at. I get alot of great ideas from Hala Kahiki, which is across the street from my house but I don't know how to put things up temporarily without it looking like it's up temporarily.

I need HELP!!

hey there dawn,

my gut response is to try to see if you could create panels to cover wall surfaces, or maybe even create a free-standing backdrop kind of like one of those three-hinged room dividers.

monkeyman started an incredibly informative thread about panelizing lauhala matting here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9800&forum=7

but, considering the wealth of talent on TC you will probably have at least 10 different great options before too long. good luck, keep us posted! j$

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2005-02-10 06:07 ]

Here is an inexpensive idea you might want to consider.The bamboo or reed fencing cost about $25 per roll at many home depots and is 6ft. high and appx. 16 ft. wide.I included a pic to see what it looks like and the drawing on how to attach it to the wall without damaging the walls.Just use 1x2 or 1x3 to frame the material.I nstall the screws from the backside so they do not show on the front.Like building a picture frame.Once the panel is framed stand it up to the wall to be covered and with small finish nails tack each corner to hold the panel in place.You can finish the trim any color or choice of stain desired to match your decor.Comes apart easy and take it with you when and if you ever decide to move.This will work with most any material you decide to use.Once your temp. wall is up.Start hanging your collection and you have a Tiki Room.You can even add a shelf near the top to display your lighter decorations.Pictures etc.Also you may want to try and purchase a bar from one of the TC members.It may not cost you anymore then a garage sale item and you can order it to meet your needs,decor,style and design.Good luck and keep us updated.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-06-14 07:48 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies