Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Smokin' Menehunes Down For Modifications

Pages: 1 4 replies

It is with heavy heart (& upper colon) I must announce the SM's beloved ukulele, den-mother - Shirley Orlando - has told us she needs to step aside from the band to attend to more pressing matters.

My first selfish thought was "you can't quit, I still have 800 band business cards left!". But those self-absorbed thoughts soon evaporated after I realized who I was talking to.

Shirley was the steady-rhythm, solid-rock, percussive side of the band on her 1934 Martin ukulele. She was the seasoned musician that saved the rest of us copius amounts of pain from going about some musical this or that the wrong way

Anyway, Shirley also hosts the Kolohe ukulele group (of which Bill Tapia frequents), and has found someone we're going to audition for the part.

If he works out we should be up and running in no time.

I used to think only drummers and bass players were hard to find (without felony convictions), but I'd have to add to that 'good' ukulele players...

I'm sorry to hear that she's leaving the Smoking Menuhunes. I always enjoyed watching and listening to her play. I am stuck in the "permanent beginner" stage of ukulele playing, and whenever I saw her I was inspired to try harder. I would think "Maybe in about 40 years I'll be that good". Probably not...

Anyway, good luck Shirley. Keep playing that uke.

TM

It's terrible but true. I love Shirley.

We will soldier on.

As a fellow musician I know personel changes cause a lot of ripples in the pond. I love Shirley and I'm sorry to see her leave the Smokin' Menehunes. If Pink Floyd survived the loss of Syd Barrett then...well you get the picture. Shirley, I hope you don't think this gets you off the hook as official crawl bus uke player on the next OC Tiki Bar Crawl.

By the way, we really are not "down" in any sense...we are holding auditions, and still practicing every week.

Pages: 1 4 replies