Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

ATTN: Carvers, I finally found a portable carrier for my chisels and other carving tools.

Pages: 1 3 replies

8T

Hey everyone, hope you all are carving safely. I just wanted to share this new thing I just got yesterday. I do all of my carving outdoors because my garage is not roomy enough for all of my junk + my car AND a carving spot. SO I have been lugging all of my chisels, mallets and other tools outside and back in each time I go to carve.
Well I thought a toolbox might be helpful but so many of them are just NOT made for a selection of chisels but more for tools that are not going to be harmed by banging around against each other. I had looked at the tool bucket type bags that you can use with a 5 Gal. bucket but that wasn't quite right.
Finally yesterday at Home Depot I found this tool bag from Husky.

What I like best about this bag is that it is very tough and has 19 individual vertical pockets which can each hold a different chisel. There is also plenty of room in the central area for other items.

Here is another shot after I loaded it with my chisels, mallets and sharpening stones etc.

The bag also includes a place to keep a 16" hand saw, 12 drill bits in seperate mini pockets, a caribiner to hook your keys on, it has a clip for a tape measure, a shoulder strap, a 12 compartment plastic bin and even a water bottle. It measures about 21" long, 10" wide and 9" deep.

Tax included it was $37.41 A bit more than I wanted to spend but I figured that I was only going to buy one and this was as good as I had found so far and besides, now I can stop looking and get carving. (Well, when the weather allows me to in the spring). If you are carving outdoors or at different locations, I would be interested in seeing what portable means you have found to serve the same purpose for your tools.

When we first met.......

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-02-13 22:22 ]

That's slick...

I use a Craftsman steel toolbox with drawers... to keep the chisels and such from sliding around I cut sheets of that rubber matting that goes under rugs and such... has worked good for me... I'll have to get a picture and post it up...

That bag you found is a good option though!

B

8', thats cool but you're right, a bit pricey. Check out this bag from Harbor freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38124
Canvass with just right-sized pouches for chisels and knives and the best part? $9.99

The Husky is very nice though.

Good idea,can't lose anything then

Pages: 1 3 replies