Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Easter Island Lecture

Pages: 1 4 replies

NN2

Imagine my suprise when I was at our small local library with my kids this weekend and I noticed this flyer on the counter:

Here is the text: Tha friends of the Occ Library and the Lido Isle Women's Club Cordially invite you to attend EASTER ISLAND: A prehistoric Culture Still Survives Today presented by Dr. Joan Seaver Kurze
For most of us Easter Island has always been a place of mystery as exemplified by the monolithic archaeological statues left by a prehistoric culture. Continuously inhabited since ancient times, the island has been the subject of much study. Chile governs Easter Island even though it sits 2000 miles off the coast with the next closest island over 1200 miles away. At just 66 square miles, such a small island in such a big ocean has led to its virtual total isolation until more recent times. At UCLA DR. Kurze's graduate work on Easter Island led her to nearly 20 years of study, research, and visits. The author of two books, she has focused on the enculturation of Easter Island and is considered an expert on their woodcarvings. Come join us for an enthralling look at how this little-known culture has evolved and survived to this day.
Wed. Feb. 16, 2005 at 7:30pm
Presented at the Lido Isle Clubhouse
701 Via Lido Soud, Lido Isle, Newport Beach
Donatio: $5.00 at the door
RSVP to (714) 432-5087
Refreshments will be served
Books available for purchase by
Lido Village Books

I hope you attend and share the highlights.

Did you go? Wierd that two experts of Easter Isle are at UCLA, and have similar names: Joanne Van Tilburg and Joan Seaver Kurze.. Joanne Van Tilburg is a big adrift fan!

Aaaaaagggh! Damn! That's what I get for not checking into TC very often!

On 2005-02-20 00:50, tikitony wrote:
Joanne Van Tilburg is a big adrift fan!

Only appropriate that possibly the foremost Easter Island expert can appreciate Adrift.

Pages: 1 4 replies