Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Rockabilly Rave March 11-13th

Pages: 1 23 replies

Any of you rockin tiki folks going to the Rockabilly Rave this year?

G
Gavin posted on Wed, Feb 16, 2005 9:28 AM

Sir,
could you please tell me more? My wife will be in London from March 8 thru 16th. First time, very excited. She loves Rockabilly, and we were hoping to find a show for her to go to.

ps-cool tats.

http://www.rockabillyrave.co.uk/
Tiki-Billy party -SHUDDER_________________

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2005-02-16 09:42 ]

I'm probably not really rockin' enough (and I'll be in Leeds of all places) but is sounds like a good do. You're going, I trust? If so, please make sure you take a few of the Tikibilly party - sounds interesting...

Trader Woody

And while at the Rockabilly Rave don't miss the Roy Kay Trio. They're Seattle guys and they're great. With an early rockabilly sound they're excellent live and both their albums are really solid.

Their site has a good look to it, for those of you into retro graphics:

http://roykaytrio.com/

Roy does their graphics and more, really neat stuff:

http://giantroybot.com/

PS: I'm just a fan, I don't even know 'em...But someone here does...Check out the bottom poster on the left:

http://www.giantroybot.com/posters.htm

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2005-02-16 to delete a recipe for bacon and onion pancakes he somehow posted by mistake]

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2005-02-16 11:53 ]

On 2005-02-16 09:35, cheekytiki wrote:
http://www.rockabillyrave.co.uk/
Tiki-Billy party -SHUDDER_________________

[ Edited by: cheekytiki on 2005-02-16 09:42 ]

Only time will tell! But it's a start getting tiki introduced 'back' into the UK.

Now which mug to take to drink out of?

My point was just in the name, it's just a bad bastardisation, when it could just be a cool 'Tiki' party at a Rockabilly event.
The Rave is fun, there's more and more Tiki stuff every year which is great but to me it's not a part of Rockbilly itself, more a nice addition. If you see what I mean.
No offence to any 'Tiki-Billys' out there

I think that Tiki stuff has appealed to some rockabilly/ rockin folks, as there's the link to the post WWII era, with soldiers returning from exotic lands, and getting back into hot rodding and into leisure pursuits. Hawaiian shirts etc

M

I think that the term "tiki-billy" is coming from a certain person involved with the event (who shall remain nameless) that likes to marry "-billy" with all kinds of senseless shit...such as swing-a-billy, etc..

Anyhoo, I wish I could attend the Rave this year, but alas I'm going to VLV and Green Bay....all three events occur within a six week period.

On 2005-02-17 07:54, mattfink wrote:

Anyhoo, I wish I could attend the Rave this year, but alas I'm going to VLV and Green Bay....all three events occur within a six week period.

That's it Matt, rub it in. I can't afford VLV or Green Bay this year, so the Rockabilly Rave it is.

Jealous as hell that you're going to Green Bay. I think our Cheeky Tiki's gonna be there too! Have a blast and a few drinks for me.

M

Don't forget the only weekender we normally have in the U.S. thats happening is VLV. You guys have got the Rave, 2 Hemsbys, High Rockabilly, Screamin, Summer Jamboree plus a whole load of really cool car events. Green Bay is an added bonus that probably won't happen again.

[i]Green Bay is an added bonus that probably won't happen again.

And WHAT a bouns. That lineup is truely fantastic.

True, it is a stellar line-up that's a week long!!!

Matty

King Kukulele is gonna be there!

On 2005-02-17 08:50, mattfink wrote:
Don't forget the only weekender we normally have in the U.S. thats happening is VLV. You guys have got the Rave, 2 Hemsbys, High Rockabilly, Screamin, Summer Jamboree plus a whole load of really cool car events. Green Bay is an added bonus that probably won't happen again.

Don't forget Hootenanny in Irvine, usually the 1st weekend in July....

On 2005-02-18 18:42, thechikitiki wrote:
King Kukulele is gonna be there!

Is he playing?

M

On 2005-02-20 22:43, stuff-o-rama wrote:
Don't forget Hootenanny in Irvine, usually the 1st weekend in July....

I'm sure the Hootenanny is great, but it's not quite the same kind of event. VLV, Rave, Hemsby, etc.. are strictly 50's style music. Hootenanny has punk, psychobilly as well as rockabilly.

Matt

Oh, I get it now, traditional stylee.

There's a new festival, out of Montreal coming up in October called Red, Hot and Blue Rockabilly Weekend. Wanda Jackson is one of the headliners.

http://www.rockabillyjam.com

Ooh look! Tiki & Rockabilly! Even Viva Las Vegas is doing their tiki pool party again this year. The first one was held two years ago (?) at the Hard Rock Hotel, called Mondo Tiki, Shag was the man of the hour. Smogbreather told me some funny stories about this event. The next year Viva added the tiki pool party to their event at the Gold Coast Hotel pool. My friends and I go every year. I'd love to make it again but I'm going to have to bow out this year. I do have a friend in London who attends Rockabilly Rave, she's going and wants me to join but since I can't afford Vegas I don't know how I can do London!

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama on 2005-02-21 14:04 ]

Is he playing?

I believe so, YES!! Its the Kings fifth year in a row at the Rockabilly Rave Weekender. He may also work in a show at the South London Pacific tiki!!!

On 2005-02-16 11:40, woofmutt wrote:
And while at the Rockabilly Rave don't miss the Roy Kay Trio. They're Seattle guys and they're great. With an early rockabilly sound they're excellent live and both their albums are really solid.

Thanks for the tip Woofmutt. These guys were fantastic. As you said a real early rockabiily style.

They were definately the best band I saw at the Rave.

Mahalo

I agree with woofmutt, don't miss Roy Kay, their really good friends of mine, they just played up here in Vancouver last week.

As for Rockabilly, there is also Green Bay that happens every year but Vegas is the biggest and the best.

Viva is a kicken event I have gone the last five years or so and love it......the last couple of years there has been a Tiki God Bar in the Parking lot (trade only)...........I hope this year to make the Tiki Pool Party of course the biggest question will be are wristbands required...........

Just got back from this years Rave, the Tiki Party was great fun, King Kukulele put on a great show.
I need to get back to wringing out my Liver.

Just got back from the Rave too, and what a great night Saturday was, as usual King Kukulele was just great, making everybody have fun and a good laugh. This was the best night of the weekend, and the latest!! Good to have a few drinks with Jamie and Anjy from Cheekytiki, roll on the London Luau!!

Pages: 1 23 replies