Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hina Rapa Print Value?

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hello, New to the forum. I recently acquired a Hina Rapa print from Ebay. It didn't go for very much because I don't think the sellers knew what they had - they just thought it was a Hawaiian Nude. I don't see Davis Gallery anywhere on it but it's dated 1956 Hawaii Arts Ltd under the Leeteg signature. Can anyone help me with how much it might be worth? Mahalo!

[ Edited by: thechenclan on 2005-02-21 07:52 ]

anyone? bueller? thanks anyway... :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3774008194&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

[ Edited by: thechenclan on 2005-02-21 07:58 ]

$12.00!

Oops!

You cheeky TikiMonkey!

I'm not sure what the value is chenclan but I'd venture to say you got a good deal on a cool print.
Aloha and welcome aboard TC,
:tiki:

Thanks, I figured it's gotta be worth something...I remember somebody (Aloha Cruz maybe) having one for sale and asking $700 + for it?

Back when Josh Agle first started selling prints I asked him to paint a Hina Rapa in his style - I balked at the price then but am kicking myself in the butt in light of how popular he is now...

T

I paid 20 bucks for mine... I consider that a decent price, it was framed.

Digging up an old thread here...

Would $25-$50 be a fair price to pay for an older print of Hina Rapa?

Holy Smokes...TikiWahine you are alive!! Haven't heard anything from you for a while! How is your lounge going??

Buy it up Wahine!! If the print is one of the old ones, and dated as so, they are good to get. You do not see them too often, especially up here, and even on eBay.
I sold a pair separately a while ago and they sold for $80-90 each on eBay. I saw some other framed ones sell for about $90 as well. Any of those prints you find for under $50 grab them! Especially if they have the thin bamboo frames. It may be the closest thing in getting to a real Leeteg!

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-03-14 11:05 ]

Hey Dan!

I'm still alive, just swept up in a pile of diapers and toys. I've got my Witco bar all set up, just doing things slowly as we have the time.

I'm a huge fan of Hina Rapa, every time I see one it reminds me of the Waldorf. If I am able to get my mits on this one, she'll be hung with love int he Huki Lounge! I haven't seen any come up on ebay, and certainly none locally.

Crossing my fingers!!

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2009-12-03 19:50 ]

Here she is:

I can't believe someone covered over the best part! I wonder if there are others like this?

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2009-03-16 11:53 ]

I had one professionally restored, lined backed and framed.It is important to
have them linen backed because the old paper deteriorates from time.Also important
to use a nice quality multi ply acid free matting when framing them.Because of how
rare these really are, and they are all dated-I wouldn't let mine go for any less
$ 800-$1000 .These are generally harder to find then the Japan reproductions which
I have depicted under the velvet painting thread.You also want to use UV type glass
when framing to prevent any future fading of the print, if you dont your print will
fade, look like crap and be worthless.
Aloha-Trader Bill

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-03-16 15:09 ]

Tikiwahine....besides the Leeteg copies painted on velvet, there were prints on a velvet covered paper and prints on heavy paper.

From a Davis Gallery catalog you can see the prices back in the 60s

The 3 color prints were on velvet paper including Hina Rapa

They may have added a color on paper set of prints later as this one is not in the original 14

Here is that same image on black velvet (a painted copy) in the same light

Sometimes the "Made In Japan is under the frame

Seems like a reasonable price range for a print and will look great in your bar. Not sure about the modesty Hina Rapa. Maybe some sailor brought it home and his wife made him have it modified in order to display it in their home.

Nice detail in the hair of this girl.I will post my print as soon
as I can figure out how to not get glare off the glass with the flash.

I just brought her home, and it is printed on velvet paper. Someone painted the bikini top, and framed her behind anti-glare glass.

The cardboard on the back used to have photos glued to it, they were all ripped off, but parts of one wedding photo remain, in bits of late 60s hair and beard. In pencil at the top someone wrote "HAWAII (then a number, I think 54 or 57) KONA"

Mine says "© Hawaii Arts Ltd. 56" on the front, under the signature.

I just removed the back, and there are no other markings. The print is attached to a thin fiberboard, then partially glued the the thicker back.

This is really cool and fascinating - thanks Mr Fury!

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ Edited by: tikiwahine 2009-03-20 13:11 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies