Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new tikis....finally 2-16-05

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

i did the tikis for christmas presents for my family this year. they were carved from 1 inch dowels(thanks for the inspiration Octane)and are about 4 inches tall. they all loved them. i need to explain the pink one, though. i didn't want to do it, but it was for my neice who REALLY wanted a pink tiki, so i did it for her. i figured if it got her interested in it, then it was ok to do 1 time. sorry for the bad picture...it was the best one i had of them.

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2005-02-16 09:52 ]

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2005-02-16 09:52 ]

Hey, you'll probably get a flood of orders for Pink Tikis

B

Yep I can see it now. You might as well change your name to "PinkTiki5-0". I cna see the orders coming in now. Better buy more dowels and pink paint. I want mine in Hot Pink.

Day-Glo pink with a big sparkley bow!

I like them all, looks great.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-02-16 11:51 ]

T

haha...i knew this was going to happen, but i can take it. like i said, if it got my neice interested in it, it' worth it. so you want a hot pink one, huh benz? anything for the great benzart!!

Seriously though, I really like the idea of using tiny dowels to carve gifts for realatives.

Most of the tikis I've carved so far have been dowels, although larger ones.

They look great, I'm gonna have to try that this year. Very cool stuff.

T

i just got some 1 1/4 inch dowels, but working on my first one the dremmel died on me. the motor burned out, so now i have to get a new one so i can get back going on them again. the 1 1/4 inch is the thickest dowels i've seen at lowe's or home depot. do you know of anywhere that sells thicker dowels?

B

Look around your friends for someone who has a lathe and get them to turn a few for you. You pick the wood and the size that way. Fun Fun Fun

Check around your area or internet for woodworking shop/stores. Alot of those places will actually turn dowels for you. Those shops usually stock the more exotic woods that can give you great results. Cocobolo, Zebrawood, Koa, Monkeypod and burls all look great without any stain - just a little varnish or wax. You will need to reload the rotary tool because those woods are hard. Good Luck.

Lookin' great, 5-0. I was wondering what you've been up to since you posted those 3 large tikis. I like the idea. Once friends & family find out you're carving tikis, it seems like everyone wants one. I was thinking of a way to knock 'em all out at once, like Christmas gifts. Only my idea was to do some concrete castings, which I still haven't gotten around to. Maybe I'll try some dowels instead. Really nice work, pink one included!

T

thanks aaron! i hadn't done anything for a while. i got into a slump and recently came out of it. i got those all done for christmas presents and started to do some more recently until my dremmel took a dump on me. so as soon as i get a new one i'll get back to it. i got a bunch of dowels cut and waiting to be tranformed. more to come.....

Hey tiki5-0 rockler woodworking sells baseball bat blanks and higher quality wood dowels than HD or lowes. check 'em out.

NIce looking tikis, I'm sure your family loves them!

I was at Rockler's the other day & saw some walnut dowels....

Pages: 1 13 replies