Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

A gathering @ the Conga Lounge, Oakland, 2/19

Pages: 1 2 replies

(Edited from a post in my ol' Weblog, for anyone who happens to be at the Conga Lounge this Saturday. Say "hi" if you're there.)

Mauoli Hanau, Buffy!

It's not really a big, polished party night. All I've done is made this fancy lookin' flyer art, and called the place to let 'em know that there might be a couple extra people coming. It's not a private party, nor should it really be. Just a gathering of like-minded folks and an excuse to dress up 'n' visit the Conga Lounge (I've never been, see).

To date, it's been even less formal than this, just being something known amongst a very small group of friends. But hey, join on in.

The backstory:

It's also not really a holiday, per se, if you were wondering. More of an accident. Or, more appropriately, a happy Dada moment. Some years back, we'd made a nice dinner at our then-home, and our then-current roomies (and now-current roomie) were there. Normally we all did our own thing for dinner, but this one night we set up for everyone (we had a whole lot extra, and it was vegetarian). We even had a nice bottle of wine and everything.

It was asked what the special occasion was, why the big meal and such. When I looked at the "Swingin' Chicks of the 60's" Calendar -- the one we had that year -- it told us that it happened to be Buffy Sainte-Marie's birthday. Not that any of us knew who Buffy Sainte-Marie is.

Since that first time, the appropriate toast around the table amongst this group is "To Buffy Sainte-Marie!" Expect to be doing the same that evening.

...and thus, a holiday is born.

Ya, think Burns' Night, or Bloomsday, but with even less of a purpose. I mean, Buffy St. Marie is about a tiki as, well, a Spaghetti Western. Oh wait, that seems to make sense all of a sudden, somehow.

Wear something fun, bring something fun, bring a friend wearing something fun, and whatever. We're not standing on formality here. After all, they have seats.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ Edited by: gwenners on 2005-02-16 13:45 ]

P

Say aloha to Mano and Mike from pablus.
I love the Conga.

Wish I could join you but my duties as the herald of the WWJD movement in Tampa require my constant presence for this weekend.

No really, What Would Jab Do?

G

On 2005-02-17 10:53, pablus wrote:

Say aloha to Mano and Mike from pablus.
I love the Conga.

Wish I could join you but my duties as the herald of the WWJD movement in Tampa require my constant presence for this weekend.

No really, What Would Jab Do?

I shalkl strive to pass on your best wishes to Mano and Mike, and -- by all means -- don't let me stop you from leading the Jab-ites. :wink:

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

Pages: 1 2 replies