Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

coconut cups at Target

Pages: 1 22 replies

D

I was just at Target and they are putting out there summer housewares. Last year was the Hula Hawaiin and Toucan, this year seems to be Carmen Miranda. Well, they have coconut cups for $4. They are really nice, kind of looks like those coconut purses.

T

Pics Please or maybe I'll find some

H
Helz posted on Thu, Feb 17, 2005 12:22 AM

TK, Here's some pics..

The cup. It comes with the straw.

Here is it open so you can see the little plastic cup inside.

and here it is next to a real coconut and a mug so you can get an idea of size.

I like it, but it does have a little chemical smell, but not too shabby for 4 bucks. They also had a (very) few other Tikiesque peices (AKA, not Tiki per se, but would blend in/round out a Tiki space nicely). I'm particularly amused with the pineapple cookie jar, which could be very useful near the bar.

T

Helz
Good pics and I was wondering the price. I will have to go pick two up. CAuse you know that we got a Target near us.

Thanks for the tip Dawn32, I ran out and bought a couple today!

Bought the cookie jar that looks like Carmen Miranda -- quite irresistible at $14.99!

Well, there goes my paycheck...

D

On 2005-02-17 15:26, Satan's Sin wrote:
Bought the cookie jar that looks like Carmen Miranda -- quite irresistible at $14.99!

I saw that too! I wanted to pick it up but I've got a cookie jar and limited kitchen counter space. Anyone have any other ideas on uses for the cookie jar, I need an excuse to get it.

Anyone have any other ideas on uses for the cookie jar, I need an excuse to get it.

Ice bucket.

H
Helz posted on Fri, Feb 18, 2005 10:34 AM

As of right now, I'm using one to hold the 18" straws for my volcano bowl.

Use it like a bucket to hold your ice?...Brilliant!

K
Kono posted on Fri, Feb 18, 2005 4:39 PM

On 2005-02-18 05:13, Dawn32 wrote:
Anyone have any other ideas on uses for the cookie jar, I need an excuse to get it.

It would make a fine mug for a really, really big drink.

I checked out those coconut mugs and they are very nice, especially for $4. Anyone brave enough to chuck the plastic cup insert and just fill the mug up with drink? That chemical smell is a little scarey.

There's also a big ceramic pineapple for $12.99. That would hold a big drink!

[ Edited by: astrosurf on 2005-02-20 08:48 ]

[ Edited by: astrosurf on 2005-02-20 08:49 ]

E
Erika posted on Wed, Feb 23, 2005 4:02 PM

I just got a couple of the coconut cups today (really my personal shopper [dear husband] got them for me). If anybody's wondering, they're not actual coconut shells---they're made of resin (except the little handle on the lid), with a nicely done textured/colored surface.

K

It looks like Target is big on flamingos this year.

I picked up 3 (all they had left) the other nite. I liked the little leather (?) thong lid hinge and the white plastic (removable for easy cleaning) cup liner. I gave 'em a thorough test drive and I like 'em. The lid will help keep the bugs outta my drink during the summer months as well.

J
Jawa posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 11:28 AM

My wife and I bought 6 over the weekend in preparation for outdoor party season and we are returning them.

First, the chemical smell is just overpowering and I could not imagine drinking out of them. After washing one mug about 5 times, the smell was still there. So I threw the whole lot of them into the dishwasher. Pulled them out and the paint was peeling off most of them. Bad deal...I can not recommend them.

Not trying to get off topic, but Oriental Trader has "real" coconut mugs similar to that one (by the dozen).
Item Number: IN-34/30

They also have ceramic mugs like this one:

but you have to buy them by the dozen also. Item Number: IN-34/936

I'd buy a Target mug, but after hearing abot the smell, I think it will be a display mug.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2005-03-16 13:48 ]

RR

I don't think the nut mug from Oriental Trading is real either.

I purchased four of the resin mugs from Target and didn't notice a smell. Perhaps mine were made from a different lot.

But, after hearing about the coloring coming off after several washings, I think I'm gonna just keep them for display, too.

oh crap, more pineapple stuff....
Last year Mervyns had stuff. I like pineapples...

On 2005-03-16 15:37, mrs. pineapple wrote:
oh crap, more pineapple stuff....
Last year Mervyns had stuff. I like pineapples...

Target has some ceramic pineapple stuff. Also, I saw some pineapple pillows at Linens 'n Things.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 6:53 PM

Not worth it's own thread so here seems good. I was at Beall's Outlet the other day and they had fake giant clam shells for $20. They more brown than white but other than that look damn good.

ran a search and found this tread...just came back from the goodwill, and guess what I found...2 of the target faux coconut mugs with the lids. I didn't know anything about them, but i thought they looked solid enough, so i picked them up. One looks like it's in VG condition, with everything in tact, the other looks like it's seen a fair amount of use, in that the strands (1) that hold the little bamboo hinge together are frayed and torn, but I felt they were worth the price. There's no chemical odor on these as I've seen mentioned, so I don't know if it just wore off over the last 10 years, or if it never had it to begin with. Funny, they were priced at $3.99, same asking price as they were new. But i've never seen them before, so i figured it was worth it.

Aloha Everyone!

Pages: 1 22 replies