Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Sneaky Tiki Salt & Pepper Shakers...

Pages: 1 10 replies

Can someone help me find these little guys? I found them in THE BOOK OF TIKI. Here is a picture...

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/sp/abc

Good Luck! :)

The ones in my book were the only ones I have ever seen of these. They are from Kevin Kidney's (aka Miehana, aka Mr. Hawaiian Eye) collection.
Now how about guessing what the original inspiration to that Harvey's Tiki was! I only can connect it to that baby bearing Austral Islands Tiki or that Cook Islands Tiki, because of the little Tiki on the chest...

The Salt and Pepper shakers actually look more like Japanese Manga robots than Tikis to me...a great find. The last remaining ones were probably all destroyed in the fire that spelled the end of Harvey's Polynesian Room (which was, by the way, decorated by Ely Hedley)

Here' another shaker I think may be a Harvey's. I'm sorry I don't remember who first posted it.

I lived in Northern Nevada for 6 years and was a regular visitor to all thift stores, antique malls and flea markets within a 200 mile radius of Reno. I never saw any shakers exept for Trader Dick's. Harvey's S&Ps are really rare.

I always thought the logo was a 60's pop art version of a tiki drinking out of tiki mug.

But now I think it as a riff on the "Catch, Eat, Full tiki". Sven posted a thread on this motif, (I can't find it). It is a cannibal catching eating and having a big belly, but, never in that order. These Tikis were used on Don the Beachcombers menu and on luau and Maikai matchbooks. Tiki Fish originally posted this picture of the Jardin Tiki.

The Catch.

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2002-10-12 12:37 ]

It was actually Midnite who brought up the cannibal theory on the thread below:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=865&forum=5&

Trader Woody

Just reviving a really ancient thread here but since the image link is dead I was wondering if this is what it was.

taken from tikiroom.net

I was poaching (shopping other dealer's spaces)last Sunday and found these guys sitting in a glass case for $12. Their tag said "vintage wood grained ceramic shakers". I recognized the Sneaky Tiki right off. Have any more of these resurfaced since the inception of this thread? I will post my own image tonight after work, but I just had to know if I hit the jackpot!

Those are amazing, but I don't believe those were the ones posted earlier. The earlier ones I believe were the ones actually shaped like squat versions of the Sneaky Tiki. I think you've surprised us with something equally rare. Here's a picture of the ones that were up earlier:

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2007-03-13 14:49 ]

Thanks Sabu~

I was at work without my BOT so I couldn't reference the page. Those are great!
Here are a couple pics of mine, more shots are in Ooga-Mooga. Did you notice that it isn't holding the "baby"? I wonder what's up with that???

in a grouping with his brothers

i finally got around to adding our shaker collection to ooga mooga. here are pics of both versions.

dh

Those are gorgeous pieces, Hat. Did you guys find those in the wild?

Sabu

hi sabuuu!

the answer is yes and no. the orange and purple pair were found at an antique store of all places. it was my birthday and scott found them hiding out in a dealer's space. i quickly snatched them from him, screamed MINE!, and ran away to immediately buy them. it was instinct. they were 12 bucks. :wink:

the second set we got about 6 months ago. i stumbled upon them on ebay in a lot of shakers. they werent even described in the listing, and it was complete luck that i spotted them. if you calculate out the lot, we paid approximately 50 cents for those shakers.

in a way, its sort of sad that the most rare items we have in our collection happen to be salt and pepper shakers. honestly... just how much salt and pepper was actually utilized at a polynesian restaurant table?

Pages: 1 10 replies