Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

VonDutch Tiki Tow Truck

Pages: 1 15 replies

I just picked this up tonight at walmart. just thought I would share . " free lei to customers towed over 20 miles"

TM

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-02-18 07:38 ]

That is really cool. Thanks for sharing. I hope my local walmart has one.

Naturally, my Wallmart doesn't have one, nor the Toys R Us. Just mutant Batmobiles and pimped out rides w/ lotsa rims. Any other suggestions, cause I GOTTA HAVE THAT TRUCK!

Try Target. That's the only place I've seen them.

Nope, only Von Dutch choppers at my Target in NY. Sigh.

Go to http://www.jadatoys.com/distribution.html for distributors . in NY there is Galaxy Distributors© 1691 B Church Street Holbrook, New York 11741 USA
Toll-Free: 888-281-2789 Phone: 631-563-3990, Fax: 631-563-4066

H

ooooh, sweet truck. This would look sweet towing my model woody...

I almost wouldn't mind braking down if i got towed by that baby.

Ordered it from one of the diecast companies recommended by Jada Toys. Thanks.

I'm confused, I've seen alot of Von Dutch's work up close as my ex's father was a contemporary of his. I don't remember seeing those cars, pictures of those cars, or him ever doing a tiki. Are these put out by Von Dutch Industries in a interpreted Von Dutch style or are these replicated from actual cars he painted? Von Dutch Industries is evil in my book. Von Dutch's carvings and etchings were just as incredible as his pinstriping...

T

On 2005-02-22 02:29, stuff-o-rama wrote:
I'm confused, I've seen alot of Von Dutch's work up close as my ex's father was a contemporary of his. I don't remember seeing those cars, pictures of those cars, or him ever doing a tiki. Are these put out by Von Dutch Industries in a interpreted Von Dutch style or are these replicated from actual cars he painted? Von Dutch Industries is evil in my book. Von Dutch's carvings and etchings were just as incredible as his pinstriping...

I agree. I have seen Von Dutch's work also, when it was on tour with Robt Williams and Ed Roth in '93 and have been a fan of his since. I purchased a few shirts and a jacket from the website about 4 years ago. The service was horrible. Now that I see Brittany Spears' dogs wearing Von Dutch clothes, it's kind of lost any Kustom Kulture meaning to me. Kind of feel sorry for Von Dutch. I don't think this was the direction he was headed and he can't defend himself against this exploitation.
-my two cents

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2005-02-22 07:07 ]

J

Turbogod - I think we discussed that show at the Maryland Institute before...I too became a fan after getting to see Von Dutch's work up-close, not to mention Roth and Robt. Williams as well. I didn't understand what had happened the first time I saw some hip-hop artist wearing a Von Dutch trucker hat. I didn't realize that his name had been sold to some company to place all over ridiculously priced merchandise. I was in Nordstrom one afternoon one day last summer and came across tons of $50 caps and $70 t-shirts and thought to myself does anyone even know who or what Von Dutch is? I took it upon myself to explain it to a father and his 16 year old son who was trying to decide which stupid looking hat he was gonna have daddy plunk down the plastic on. I was met with blank stares and disinterest...oh well. I think Robert Williams said it best, "If he was alive he’d walk in there with a pistol and shoot those people." That's the Von Dutch I know and love!

I believe the jada toys are ment to be VonDutch inspired. I agree about the clothes being horrible

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-02-22 09:19 ]

I agree,the clothes and hats are hideous and the buyers haven't a clue. But if tiki is the icon of the surf/hot rod cultures, then this truck is cool by me.

Here's Pete "Hot Dog" Finlan's thought on the Von Dutch Industries

"No Respect ...for the name"

Von Dutch's grandaughter owned the original line when it first started. They started out with t-shirts and decals of his pinstriping, like "Harvey" and the speed motorcycles. Then she sold it to some guy in LA who got some investors involved who eventually turned it into a high end fashion clothing line. The irony is Von Dutch himself wouldn't be able to afford his own clothes. Or wear them for that matter. Although I like the truck and I think the toy is cool, perhaps they could've got Jimmy C to design a cool tiki truck instead of someone else's artwork and attaching Von Dutch's name. How about a Von Franco line? Heck I'd litter my house with those!

Oh man , I didnt mean to open up this can of worms. I just thought the toy truck was neat since it combined two things i like, tiki and kustoms . I belive I will start a VonDutch thread in Bilge.

here is the new thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13338&forum=13&0

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-02-22 16:25 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies