Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

PalmHarborTiki - New One Added 9/8/05

Pages: 1 36 replies

Been lurking around here for months and learning to carve. I'm using a ryobi angle grinder with a lancelot wheel for roughing out, and using a growing collection of chisels to finish up. Thanks for all the inspiration and great ideas.

I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

[ Edited by: PalmHarborTiki 2005-09-08 18:21 ]

Hello..nice first effort....keep up the
good work...you will find lots of support
and encouragement here!

Thanks, I thought I had this picture posting thing down.

[ Edited by: PalmHarborTiki on 2005-02-18 16:11 ]

B

Yo PalmharborTiki your tikis are just FINE. I like the last one you posted the best. You will be a pro in no time if you keep it up. So keep carving and posting this good work.

sweeet tikis!

T

that last photo looks like the tiki is in Outerspace. The tiki appears to float over the table. Right??

I finished a palm tiki today, I think this is my favorite so far. Probably because it carved so easy. I'm finding some palms are better than others.

After two coats of spare urethane, it should be ok outside for a while.

T

Great work! Glad you came out of lurkdom!

I love the pineapple on the head of the last one.

There is something pretty neat about palm when it is left to age naturally as well. Our neighbor, the one who taught ono the basics has a palm tiki that is aged, gray and wearing. He is just the coolest thing I've ever seen.

S

Welcome aboard PalmHarborTiki. There are seversl of us tikiaholics around the Tampa Bay area. Liked your carvings. I've been working on mine off and on for the last year but have yet to finish.I may have to look you up to get some motivation. Sungod, New Port Richey FL.

BT

Where do you get the logs

Well back in August and September of '04 we had a couple little storms (hurricanes). In the town I live in all I had to do is drive around and pick up all I could off the side of the road.

Do you think it's bad to wish for more storms?

I like storms. Good work by the way.

You southern folk are SO lucky...hurricanes, and palms that blow over so easily! Stuff looks great. You sound pretty confident in that Lancelot, no gripes?

The Lancelot IS a little scary at first and it has a tendancy to dig in. But like any other tool, once you use it a while you get used to it. By the way, Harbor Freight has it for a much better price than Woodcraft, so shop around.

I finally got around to posting these two new ones..Enjoy!!

T

WOW! Looks great.

S

I commend your talent. Excellent job!!!

[ Edited by: sungod on 2005-04-17 14:23 ]

One new one made from a pine log.

One in progress from a palm log that I debarked.

ENJOY!

S

Great work! I especially like this one

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 1, 2005 6:40 PM

Cool tikis! I dont know how I missed this thread! Lovely work

I don't know if anyone else thought of adding feet to their tikis, but here they are. This keeps the bottom of the Tikis form rotting too fast.

And here is my latest "Quickie Tiki" Learning to use the chisels more and the angle grinder less.

I just figured out I've been carving just over one year this month. I started during Hurricane Charley last year. Good way to remember huh? Thanks for all the inspiration and lessons.

Welcome palmharbortiki. excellent first tikis. keep up good work.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-08-23 16:05 ]

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-08-23 16:07 ]

HK

Wow! Another Tanpa Bay Tikiphile...cool!

Welcome to TC...and thanks for sharing your photos. There are some very talented carvers here....I'm sure you'll find a bunch of great advice. Your carvings look great, especially for someone who's just getting started. Keep it up!

With the TB Tiki contingent growing all the time, it looks like we need to get some organized events so we can all meet...hmmm...

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

B

Nice tikis palm Harbor and I really love the "Tiki feet" Excellent idea fro keeping the bottom dry And for leveling the whole piece.

T

I have yet to carve but can't wait til I try. Yeah the feet idea is good. Let me add to it. Instead of adding foreign feet, carve some out of the bottom .

Great work PHT. My favorite is the one that saxotica likes most too...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2005 6:58 PM

Nice work and good thinkin with the tiki feat

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 27, 2005 6:52 AM

PHT,

Yes SIR! Tiki feet. Seems a sure way to battle mildew/mold. I'm down.

-Gman

B

For my outdoor carvings I used to hollow out the bottom, bowl style to do just what teaKEY suggests and it works great to keep the bottom from rotting away.

Benz,

Thanks for the suggestion, I just got a few palm logs that are a little soft in the middle, maybe hollowing them out on the bottom will help keep them dry.

M

Hey PalmHarborTiki,

Good work. I'm not a carver, but I really like your stuff.
I live in town and was wondering if I could see some of these tikis in-person. Might even be interested in buying one off you.

I second a get-together for TB tikiphiles.

Huge a** pine log that I rescued from the county dump. No shortage of logs there.
Enjoy!!

great work!
I just started with my first carving and it´s nice to nice stuff to look up to

M

Looks great!
What size is that log Palm Harbor?

It's 36 inches tall, 12 inches in diameter and really HEAVY.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 9, 2005 6:24 PM

Sweet stuff. He looks very happy. Hillsborough won't let me snag logs from the dumpsites. Maybe I should cruise over to yours with you?????

M

PalmHarbor- It's a beautiful thing your doing down there in Florida. Turning logs from the dump into a lasting treasure. I'm getting a little teary about now. :)
Wes

Pages: 1 36 replies