Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Room Sketches-Let's See Yours!

Pages: 1 7 replies

I hope to build my bar in the next few years, and one of my favourite things to do is to sketch visions of what I want it to look like. I know I can't be the only one who does this...

I want this thread to be a place where one can post drawings, sketches and computer manipulated images of your (yet unbuilt?) Tiki Room.

I'll start. I give you my concept sketches for the Kanaloa Lounge....

This is a photo-shopped image of where I want to put my bar. And this is one of the first sketches I did. I've changed my mind about the overall design since I made this, but the basic location and size has stayed the same...And I think I'm gonna keep the red.

One Idea I have is to make a low relief carving (or painting) of Kanaloa (who I am naming the bar after) on the back bar wall and make it appear that he is holding the glass bar shelves up. The major thing that appeals to me about Kanaloa is that he has been described as a squid-like god. I like squid. I like Tiki. Seems a perfect fit. I've given him tentacles, but that seems appropriate, don't it?

I think this sketch is closest to my current vision. At this point, I want my bar top to be ceramic tile that is painted/glazed to look like tapa cloth patterns. The decorations in this sketch seem pretty sparse too...I would definitely have more flotsam in the real space.

This pic gives a better idea of the kind of space we're talking about. And it gives a good view of the back bar wall (The front bar is absent in this view). Kanaloa will be flanked by lava-like rock formations (and one will have a small fountain/waterfall built in). Did I mention this will be a wet bar? That post in the foreground will probably be turned into a palm tree or sumthin'

I'd be naive to think that my bar will be just like these sketches, but like I said earlier, it's a fun way for me to daydream.

Soooo, let's see what others have got...

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2005-02-19 13:30 ]

No sketches for me , but that is going to look good .

The best that MS Paint can show!

ROTFLMAO... thats hilarious tiki monkey

One the other drawings: I love the squid/octopus shelves thats awesome! what were you thinking of making it out of?

Tiki Monkey, how did you get that to look so life-like?!?! :lol: It looks exactly like my tiki bar!

Slacks, I love that first perspective sketch. You'd better post progress pics!

slacks i love your sketches, very evocative.

re: the Kanaloa squid god, i suspect folks will be asking if you had an h.p. lovecraft inspiration for the imagery. tentacles-a-go-go!

Slacks said "tentacles"...

I like the Squid God shelf. In the last sketch which makes the bar look like it's black lacquer, and with the red background, it really looks like an old school Oriental restaurant bar.

Thanks everyone for the nice words.

I really like yr concept sketches tikimonkey! I hope to see other people posting theirs!

Tigertail77: I'm thinking of either just painting Kanaloa on the back or making him a low relief carving. The brackets holding the shelf would be wood and incorporated into the figure's design.

JD: Yeah, I guess Mr. Lovecraft can take a bow for some of the influence.

PJ: Yr right it does look like an old school Oriental restaurant in that pic...I'll probably tone that influence down a bit when it's finally finished. But don't get me wrong, I kinda like that too.

Pages: 1 7 replies