Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

USS Jimmy Carter (SSN-23)

Pages: 1 15 replies

Ahoy mates! The Navy's latest sub hits the waves with quite a splash. The USS Jimmy Carter. http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/usw/issue_5/ussjimmycarter.html
Usually the navy names carriers after presidents and subs after cities (I guess Carter's sauce wasn't as strong as Reagan's).

Maybe it has something to do with Carter having been a Submariner.

A note to all those who go near navy bars after dark -- and Humuhumu I do mean you --

A "submariner" is pronounced "sub-marine-er" -- trust me, you don't want to test the veracity of this --

Satan's Sin is friends with joy, pals with sorrow.

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2005-02-19 23:26 ]

On 2005-02-19 20:54, TikiGardener wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with Carter having been a Submariner.

Now why didn't I think of that? Good call TikiGardener. I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

Hey Satans Sin-

How about using the term "Squid"?

I got thrown out of the Enlisted Club at the 32nd ST. Base for that one!

J
JTD posted on Sun, Feb 20, 2005 8:02 AM

"Bubblehead" also works well on those sub-par sub-marin-ers. "Shoe" is the catch-all derogatory term for any non-aviator within the Navy (ususally preceded by f*%#kin' or worthless).

As I recall:

Squid = Any sailor
Submariner = Bubblehead
Surface Ship Driver = Shoe
Aviator = Airedale
SEAL = Knuckledragger
Coast Guard = Coastie, but this does not seem denigrating enough; perhaps there is something else?

Deck Ape is a personal fav!

Engineer = Snipe
Electronic Tech = Twidget
Quartermaster = Quartergasket

As a "Coastie" all I've ever heard for us is "Brown Water Navy". Of course we always like to say that guys in the Navy have great looking kids due to thier Coastie Fathers....

I was a Quartermaster until last year ( When they killed my rate) Now since I'm a Boatswains Mate I go by "Quotes" ( My version of the BM nickname "Boats")

Got rid of Quartermasters? Whu .... ? They also get rid of the ship's wheel?

Anyhoo --

Supply Officer = Pork Chop
Asst Supply Officer = Lamb Chop

K

One too many NJP's can lead to the following MOS:

Latrine Maintenance Technician = Sh*t Sucker

A military sub named after Jimmy Carter? Who's the genius what thunk THAT up? I heard they were originally gunna name it the USS SPINELESS but decided on its synonym instead.

PS This just in: The Navy just reported that the USS Jimmy Carter has "thin skin".

It turnes out that Hunter S Thompson was a fan of Jimmy Carter -- the following is from Rosalynn Carter's 1984 autobiography.

[At] Law Day ceremonies at the University of Georgia ...Jimmy...made some impromptu remarks about our system of justice as he saw it working in Georgia. He described several cases in which people had been cheated or sent to prison just because they were poor and lacked influence, and he criticized the legal establishment soundly for looking the other way while these things were occurring in front of them....

What we did not know at the time was that writer Hunter Thompson, who was visiting that day, was captivated by what Jimmy said. He had been sitting in the back of the audience, quietly sipping Wild Turkey bourbon disguised as iced tea. When Jimmy began speaking, Thompson began to ease toward the exit for a refill, but when he heard the names Reinhold Niebuhr and Bob Dylan he stayed to listen. He immediately asked the university to send him a taped copy of the speech, and for months afterward he played the tape over and over for anyone he could force to listen. Later, he came to Plains to visit us, and wrote a long article in Rolling Stone with the Law Day speech as the focal point.

Vern

Yeah, namimg warships after hyper-intelligent, peace-loving diplomats sucks! We should name all future warships after war-mongering dim-witted evangelical tyrants! USS Monkey McFlightsuit ready for doody!

I've always liked British warship names, like Invincible or Ark Royal or, most glorious of all, HMS Iron Duke.

Pages: 1 15 replies