Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Drawer Pulls

Pages: 1 22 replies

S

Does anyone know where I can order these Tiki Drawer Knob Pulls? McPhee's says they are discontinued. I also once came across a website who made tiki drawer pulls in metal. Maybe someone has that information also...

http://www.mcphee.com/tiki/current/10696.html

SOBE Tiki, I got mine at vintagevending.com although they don't appear on that website at this time.
They are made by accoutrements.com who don't have them on their website either so maybe they are discontinued. How many do you need? I have a couple of them.
Got any tiki mugs you'd like to trade?

E

Did you ever solve this mystery or does The Great Tiki Knob shortage continue?

Back in March of 2004 I saved this photo of the Accoutrements Tiki Knobs from the Archie McPhee web (see! cyber packrattedness CAN pay off)!

I never ordered them because I used some other tikis on my display cabinets instead. But now I need kitchen cabinet knobs and I've spent hours coming up with ... nothing! I even had someone else who is a good sleuth on it and she couldn't find any either. I've sure seen a lot of knobs and have a runner up or two in mind, but no Tiki Knobs. Why? Do people not want to stare at little Tiki Faces while whipping up a polynesian treat in the kitchen? What's the deal? Why is there no demand for this product?

My massive suffering on this subject has lead me to try and problem solve. You CAN get the parts of a knob and then design your own! Aha!

Highly classified top secret diagram of the anatomy of a Knob:

The insert is 1/4" in diameter by 1/2" long.

So I figure I could sculpt a tiki out of fimo (do 6 different designs if I was feeling energetic) or make a mold and do them all the same. Bake the little guys, finish with paint/and or patina of choice, seal, then drill a hole for the insert. Maybe gorilla glue it in place for extra assurance.

Only problem is the only set of screws I have been able to find is 100/for 17.75 and shipping. I only need SIX. I checked a local Home Depot and they don't have them or anything comparable that might work (and believe me I looked through a lot of screws!)

Does anyone have a bunch of tikis that would work for this? I can drill my own holes if your tiki is big/deep enough. I'd prefer not to design my own because I have a big ol' list of other things more urgent.

Anyone? thanks! :)

You could use the tikis from the monkeypod spoon and fork displays..Those are plentiful. You would just have to sand and restain 'em..

there are many carvers who are making molds of their pendants. maybe ask them? I am fresh out of resin castings, but should have some shortly (like a few weeks). Finkdaddy is making some now, kirby has a bunch of sculpty pendants and tiki tony could custom carve you some (like his pendants)

making knobs are easier than the picture shows. You don't need that little inserting device that the screw attaches to. Just drill a hole slightly smaller than the screw you are going to insert...and (for lack of better english) screw away!

PS - try going to rockler woodworking for the knob supplies...or just buy a bunch of cheap knobs with hardware and throw out the knobs and use the hardware

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-11-25 08:22 ]

What about trying to put fimo over standard wooden knobs? I also swear I saw big oversized square knobs at Home Depot or Lowes. You could carve on those! I just replaced all my drawer pulls, because the cutsie fork and spoon ones kept grabbing my aloha shirts.... So in your design remember to keep anything below the counter with no grabby edges. I bet after all the work you would cry if they got broke!

Thanks for the great idea. My Tiki Bar In Progress (TBIP) hasn't been named yet. But does have boring knobs and that would be a great way to make some headway. The first time my friend Gecko came over he gave me the best idea for my bar.... I love being around artistic people! So many great ideas! So much sharing!

Lets have a tiki knob contest next! I'm off to create. Post some photos of what you come up with and I'll do the same!

ALOHA!

What you're looking for is called a "nut-sert". They're usually found in the "fasteners" section of the Depot in a tiny cabinet drawer. I used them for adding fasteners to wood at the speaker factory I managed. They are generally 10-24 or 1/4-20 threads, you could fimo around the nutsert or leave the correct size hole and screw in the nutsert (usually with a hex wrench). Then just use your screw to hold your knob in place.

Now that I'm furnishing our house and my lanai here at Tiki Acres Ranch, I keep running across old threads on this site. I've tried searching for tiki drawer pulls and none seem to be out there anymore -- all the links on this thread are now dead. Anyone know of any good tiki drawer knobs? I don't want tiki huts, I want tiki heads.

D

Awesome! Wonder why none of my Google searches found this site!?!?! Thanks...

I am going to be listing some of the Accoutrements Tiki Knobs on eBay in a week or so. I have been changing some of them out in my kitchen for some ceramic ones I bought. When I list them I will post it here in the for sale area

Crazy Al's drawpulls are the bomb.

it doesnt get better than those

On 2008-04-16 09:05, Monkeyman wrote:

I'll second that. We've got some. I still want that incredible chess set though...

On 2008-04-16 09:05, Monkeyman wrote:

..it also doesn't get any more expensive!! they rock, but they do add up when you need to outfit a whole kitchen!!

On 2008-04-15 22:52, catmomma wrote:
I am going to be listing some of the Accoutrements Tiki Knobs on eBay in a week or so. I have been changing some of them out in my kitchen for some ceramic ones I bought. When I list them I will post it here in the for sale area

..okay...where did you get the ceramic ones and can we see pics?

img]

Does anyone have a bunch of tikis that would work for this? I can drill my own holes if your tiki is big/deep enough. I'd prefer not to design my own because I have a big ol' list of other things more urgent.

Anyone? thanks! :)

try the dollar tree stores....they sold small 4-6" tall resin tikis that would have made great inexpensive cabinet pulls...i wish i bought a bunch when i had the chance...now i'm in the same boat as you....but i did manage to use some small cocojoes ku figures as pulls on the tiki glassware cabinet behind the bar.....

B

Damn You Dibroc! Now I went and spent money I didn't have! LOL I like the option of naughty or nice light switch covers!

T

Jeez, I can't belive that years after we discontinued the tiki knobs that there would still be a need for them. I think for a while, we were giving them out as $50 free gifts from mcphee.com, and we sold cases of them during one of our sidewalk sales. Seems like it took years for these to leave the warehouse. Oh, and by the way the next Archie McPhee sidewalk sale will be this July.

You are right.. money doesnt grow on trees but if you are going to vest yourself in the project.. it just seems like some things are worth doing the right way instead of the cheap way...

A kitchen is a pretty important part of the home and it gets used constantly.. Doesnt seem like the right place to skimp.

I would guess a deal could be had if a quantity was purchased.

usually things that are cheap... LOOK cheap.

T

Yeah, The Accoutrements/mcphee ones were cheap, and broke/unthreaded over time. But, they did look nice. I had some on my old desk for almost a year, the first one broke, and shortly after the second one too. The down side was, I forgot where I put the pulls that came with the desk, so for four years all I had was a string with a few knots in it for a drawer pull.

I went through our "new products" list to see if anything upcoming was tiki, but all I could find was this...Not exactly tiki and gross too.

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-04-16 15:07 ]

If you haven't checked out Crazy Al's Tikimania site do so...I just purchased 6 of his large half body tiki knobs in the Marquesan, Papau, and the Maori designs for my bamboo entertainment center and they are awsome!! Aaron

C

..okay...where did you get the ceramic ones and can we see pics?

Sorry the ceramic ones I got are not tikis. I was having trouble with the resin ones breaking in my crazy busy kitchen so I have been replacing them with bronze pineapples and then I found these on etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5220896&section_id=5129947

I did all my upper cabinets in the starfish and turtles last week. My cabinets are knotty pine so the Tiki heads did not show up well anyway. They just looked like brown squares. I wanted something that popped more.

Pages: 1 22 replies