Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Adorning the World: Art of the Marquesas Islands

Pages: 1 10 replies

The show, Adorning the World: Art of the Marquesas Islands, will run at The Metropolitan Museum of Art from May 10 through Jan 15, 2006. This should be much more tiki-themed than last year's Easter Island show. It will be in the Michael Rockefeller wing, in the special exhibitions gallery on the first floor.

Note that the Rockefeller Pacific collections are currently in storage until construction of new gallery space is finished in 2007. I work at the Met as a guard, and it was interesting to go through the storage area, as there's lots of stuff there that has never been on public display. Lots of spears and arrows, for example, but the most interesting objects to me were a shelf of human skulls Michael Rockefeller traded for in New Guinea. Some skulls are plain, but many have been decorated with shells and other materials. Intertesting, because soon after collecting these skulls, Rocky lost his own skull to an Asmat 'collector'!

Anyway, It'll be good to see some Pacific art on display at the Met come May.

Blue Moose

[ Edited by: Blue Moose on 2005-02-21 13:46 ]

Thanks Blue Moose, I'm comin' in from Long Island to see the exhibit when it opens.

Is there a program/literature on this exhibit w/ pictures? Pics, cause I can't read ya know.

Is there a program/literature on this exhibit w/ pictures? Pics, cause I can't read ya know.

There is no press release as of yet. There MAY be a catalog with pics. When the show starts to be installed I can post some pics.

Will this exhibit be travelling over to any fine museums on the Left Coast?

Special exhibitions in AAOA (Arts of Africa, Oceana and the Americas) rarely travel to other museums. They're small shows, but often very interesting. Perhaps YOU can travel...

V

the book from the exhibition looks great. It's 19.95 $

Thanks for the link. Just ordered the book...does look very cool. Still trying to secure Fergus Clunie's "Fijian Weapons and Warfare", but the Fiji Museum is slow to e-mail... http://www.fijimuseum.org.fj/fijimuseum.htm

I was wondering why the book suddenly got so expensive so quick. Go figure. Happy Hunting

Basement Kahuna wrote:
Thanks for the link. Just ordered the book...

Likewise from me. Looks like a cool book.

V

it's also available at Amazon.com and .co.uk for the european fans.

Pages: 1 10 replies