Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Meyer lemons

Pages: 1 13 replies

RB

Picked up a few organic Meyer lemons in the store a few days ago. Never tasted one or used one in a drink recipe before.
Can anyone tell me more about these type of lemons? Any recipe suggestions?
Mahalo!
:drink:

I like'em. They're a bit sweeter than a normal lemon... a little orangier. I use them when I make a Port Light.
I've heard that they're tasty sliced and put in a chicken for roasting.
aloha,
:tiki:

When I first got The Grog Log, I was renting a house that had two very prolific meyer lemon trees in the back yard. Needless to say, I used the fruit in almost every drink and they were wonderful. These lemons add a very full fruit flavor with the proper tang and just a hint of sweetness. Certainly a bigger and more robust experience than regular lemons. Fantastic! Wish I could have brought those trees along when I moved pads.

-Weird Unc

H

I hate to say this but there is no difference between organic and regular Meyer lemmons. Organic means no pesticides were sprayed on the fruit except for organic pesticides, which are just as bad. If you have a lemmon tree in your backyard you get fresh lemmons which are the best in flavor and texture. Otherwise, do not bother paying the extra price thinking you are getting something special. By the time you get these lemmons in the market they are old and just ok tasting.

I'd be curious to know how you reached your conclusions about organic food?

H

I thought this thread was comparing Meyer lemons to the kind you typically find in the supermarket (Eurekas or Lisbons). Not organic to regular.

H

Well the lemmon picked by Rum Balls was refered to as a type of lemmon and organic. I merely stated that there is no difference between the two they are both lemmons. What determines the taste or flavor is how fresh they are and how juicy...A lemmon is a lemmon is a lemmon.

Except when its a lemon.

On freshness, "organic" produce is generally grown closer to sale point, thus fresher than conventional produce.

No its not a one hundred percent truism, but it is more likely.

And Meyer lemons are sweeter than Eureka lemons and Lisbon lemons.

According to: http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,55,00.html

There are two basic types of lemons--acid and sweet.

The acidic types are the most commercially available. The sweet types, such as Meyer lemons, are grown primarily by home gardeners as ornamental fruit, although they are becoming increasingly available in the early spring at some specialty markets. The bulk of acid-type lemons are either Eurekas or Lisbons. They differ somewhat in size, shape, and thickness of peel, but are otherwise basically alike.

H

Ok, maybe I dont know how to spell but I know my lemmons......lemons and lemons....

Thats why we love ya baby!

H

:blush:

I thought the question was how to use them. Meyer Lemons make a lovely lemon drop. There are quite a few recipes. Here is one:
2 oz vodka ( or a citron vodka)
2 oz triple sec
Coat the rim of a chilled martini glass with sugar, squeeze a lemon wedge (meyer, organic or whatever)into the glass shake the other ingridents with ice strain into glass. garnish with more lemon and enjoy!

DH

Tina speaks the truth. Though I leave out the triple sec (or at least cut back a bit), and just use superfine sugar to sweeten--the triple sec might throw you off the difference between a meyer lemon and a regular lemon.

Either way, those little meyer lemons make dandy lemon drops. Good suggestion, Tina.

Pages: 1 13 replies