Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mug Display Plaques, link to an example photo

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey everybody,
I need feedback on this idea I have.
I was going to make display signs for all of the modern mug makers for use in my collection. I have all my modern mugs displayed by maker. A lot of ceramics companies have merchant signs that you often see displayed with wares at stores. They are usually maybe 5" long by 3" high.
I want to display my collection the same way.
Then I got the idea to contact the mug makers and see if they were interested in this idea, in them producing something for collectors to display with mug collections. Either a small carved sign or ceramic freestanding piece, with their logo. I emailed or spoke to (Truus)Bosko, (Stuckie)Munktiki, (Danny) Tiki Diablo, Gecko, and (Holden) Tiki Farm. A couple of these folks are out fo town right now, but Munktiki, Tiki Diablo, and Tiki Farm all have responded with ideas. Both ceramic, wood, and or resin copies of carvings have been tossed around.
When I contacted them I mentioned that I was sure collectors would be interested in this. I told the mugmakers that I would post on TC, where they could read posts and guage interest, and would contact non TC collectors.
So, please respond and build up this thread with your thoughts. If this idea interests you, lets hear it. It is more likely for these display pieces to come to fruition if the companies know collectors are interested in the idea. I would not recommend contacting the companies directly for as busy as most of them are, being able to come to one place to see responces would be better for them.
Thank you,
TT

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2005-02-25 18:02 ]

TM

I think it's a cool idea. I envision taking the sign I made below to the next level. I am not suggesting cutting one of the above mentioned mugs in half (as I did with the example), but possibly using the technique in the book "PAD" for recreating a tiki mug.

Hey,
If we get enough response, we'll re-run (we have to run 125 pieces minimum) our tiki farm signage that we did for our stores. They're $12.50 per sign and are a distressed edges (going for a floatsam/driftwood look) wood with a 2-color Tiki Farm screenprint and there is a wood 1"x1"xabout 12" notched base that these set into. To tool these in ceramic is just too much $$$. To tool it up in ceramic, we'd need a lot of these (at least 500) given the general gift industry conditions these days.
Mahaloz,
Holden

I was just thinking about the Tiki Farm sign! I was thinking that that would be the perfect sign for something like this, maybe with an inset mug shelf/holder to hold your favorite Tiki Farm mug?

On 2005-02-23 20:54, smogbreather wrote:
Hey,
If we get enough response, we'll re-run (we have to run 125 pieces minimum) our tiki farm signage that we did for our stores. They're $12.50 per sign

That sounds do-able. I always thought having a stack of the Tiki Farm display crates would be cool too...

-Z

R

What about having a special actual mug/tiki/bowl or something with the creator/company name or logo as a main focal point or feature of the design. This can then be placed with the other mugs by that company in you collection.

Thank you for the responces, and thanks Holden for mentioning your ideas.
I do not think I expressed my idea clearly here on TC, or maybe overexplained. Click on this link to see a picture of what I am talking about. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7301772816&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT#ebayphotohosting
Frankoma had these for vendors. This makes a nice piece to display in a case or shelf of Frankoma mugs. Imagine this, or a carved or resin version, with Bosko or Tiki Farm or Munktiki logo and name. Chikitiki was talking about a resin version to display with Tiki Diablo mugs.
I hope this clarifies the idea I am presenting better. Please keep responding because I know I would like to have one of these from each company to display with my collection.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2005-02-24 17:40 ]

TM

Ah, it's all so clear now....

I got nothin'

As I was unpacking yet another E Bay find, I was thinking (and imagining) the very same thing! Like a little plaque, or marker to put with your groupings. I was even thinking of carving the name into a lil pice of drift wood. But I don't carve so well. I say yes! All you mug makers- get going!

Pages: 1 8 replies