Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The ruination by additon

Pages: 1 26 replies

In your view, what series was ruined by the addition of a new character?

Brady Bunch
Happy Days
ScoobyDoo
Itchy & Scratchy

-Z

D

The Andy Griffith Show with Howard and Emmett.The Dick Van Dyke Show with Stacy-DVD's brother.

Star Wars.

Growing Pains was definitely ruined by the addition of the homeless boy they sort of adopted. It totally screwed up the kirk cameron - tracey gold dynamic.

remember who played the homeless boy?

a young Leo DeCrapio

The Flintstones with that Martian guy.

The Partridge Family after they added Ricky.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer when they added Dawn.

Angel when they added Connor.

Cool idea! I'll try to think of more...:)

Jonathan Winters joining Mork and Mindy.

Come to think of it, Pebbles and Bam Bam added nothing to The Flintstones, either!

I believe the phrase is "Jumping the shark"

and for me, that's Muppet Babies, when that insufferable cross-promotion Baby he-man muppet came in.

"By da powah of pwayskool." my big red patootie.

D

Vicky,Captain Steubing's(sp?)daughter on the Love Boat.I'm showing my age again.

When Robert Patrick took over for David Duchovny on X-FILES. Of course it still had a VERY yummy Gillian Anderson....

I also noticed a show tends to add a Baby when it's near it's end..."Friends" anyone?

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2005-02-23 18:01 ]

The addition of a baby is actually what I had in mind when I thought of this tpoic...and while Lil Ricky (Arnez)might not be an example, Pebbles and Scrappy Doo were.

The most nausiating example in Film was Ghost Busters II. Even the Thin Man series (which I loved) slipped a notch when they added cute.

More?

As far as movies go....Once they started adding TONS of characters in the BATMAN movies I just got totally lost. At the end of Batman & Robin you had Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Posion Ivy and Mr Freeze. Damn, I got a headache thinking about it ( not to mention that the movie just SUCKED anyway). It looks like the new "Batman Begins" will be much darker and with WAY fewer heros and villians...

The Pink Panther when he started to talk.

although I guess his voice isn't exactly a new character

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2005-02-23 18:51 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, Feb 23, 2005 6:59 PM

Tarzan when they started adding Cheetah and Jane and all the pet elephants and leopards and such.

B

Sesame Street. I really believe that Elmo is the axis of evil. One of these days all those damned Tickle Me/YMCA/Hokey-Pokey/ Pull my Finger Elmo dolls will come alive as soon as the lights go out and head to the knife drawer in the kitchen.

On 2005-02-23 18:34, Gigantalope wrote:
Even the Thin Man series (which I loved) slipped a notch when they added cute.

I hated it when they added Mrs. Asta & the pups.

On 2005-02-23 18:34, Gigantalope wrote:
The most nausiating example in Film was Ghost Busters II.

I think that was a masterpiece. Where was the added character? Oscar was plot essential and used to a minimum, rather than delivering some deus ex machina or silly quips.

Married with Children when they added Seven, the little boy.
Of course, I did like the way they eventually forgot about him.

badmojo noted

Sesame Street. I really believe that Elmo is the axis of evil. One of these days all those damned Tickle Me/YMCA/Hokey-Pokey/ Pull my Finger Elmo dolls will come alive as soon as the lights go out and head to the knife drawer in the kitchen.

There is now a Potty Elmo...I kid you not. I don't know what it actually does; I don't WANT to know.

H

Hahahahahahahaha, Mojo, you are the best, still.....

coy and vance...

Does Sammy Hagar count?

On 2005-02-24 08:12, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Does Sammy Hagar count?

you totally read my mind fz, i was
-->||

The Darrens on BeWitched

Dick York or Dick Sargeant? Hard to tell the difference. (pun intended)

T

Now that somebody has brought up Bewitched, While everyone makes mention of the "Darren/Dick" change, what about the Gladys Kravitz switcheroo. That some scary stuff going on in suberbia in the 60's.

Trustar

Van Hagar...that's spot on.
Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Wheelchair eroded from this with people Like Micky Thomas, and others.

The Dicks in Bewitched, I also didn't care for the more droll and less mean Mr. Wilson although the show floundered as Dennis got older.

The addition of too-cute Andrew Keaton to "Family Ties"

Pages: 1 26 replies