Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Debarking Cabbage Plams

Pages: 1 30 replies

Hi all, just a quick question. I just got hooked up with some free dead cabbage palms. I want to try my hand at carving a few tikis but was wonder do I have to peel the bark off first? I see where some of you guys mention debarking. However these cabbage plams do not have any frons hanging on like most other plams do. Just wonder about the debarking.

At first I thought this was about some vegetarian food recipe...

I would ask Reloy!

Well in the immortal words of Merlin Olsen, "Many parts of a pine tree are eatable."

The short answer is "No." For a more detailed answer check out the Creating Tiki Forum.

very original........

Sorry Freaki*Tiki, I got the user name from my website http://www.freaki-tiki.com

[ Edited by: FreakiTiki on 2005-02-25 06:09 ]

[ Edited by: FreakiTiki on 2005-02-25 06:09 ]

No worries, I didn't look at the member list myself when signing up.....I think there are about 8 of us now. Freak'n tiki clones!lol!I've been meaning to change my ID....

Here's the list:

• Freakie Tiki s
  • FreakiTiki
  • freaky tiki
  • Freaky Tiki Phil
  • freaky*tiki
  • freakytiki
  • FrEaKyTiKiGuY
  • freakytikki
  • freeki tiki
  • friki tiki
  • FrikiTiki
  • friki_tiki

that's freaky.

Doh! I forgot these two:

• Tiki Freak
  • tiki freaky

On 2005-02-24 13:06, Johnny Dollar wrote:
that's freaky.

damn, took the words right outta my mouth.

--->][

T

On 2005-02-24 12:15, FreakiTiki wrote:
Well in the immortal words of Merlin Olsen, "Many parts of a pine tree are eatable."

Actually, that would be Euell "speakin'-for-Grapenuts" Gibbons that came up with that quotable quote! (Now back to your regularly scheduled forum)

FRIGGIN' freaky, that is! Will the original Tiki Freak please stand up?

...but what about Embarking Cabbage Patch Kids?
I am sorry, I know I'm barking down the wrong garbage pail... :lol: :music: :roll:

M

On 2005-02-24 15:48, tikigreg wrote:

On 2005-02-24 12:15, FreakiTiki wrote:

Actually, that would be Euell "speakin'-for-Grapenuts" Gibbons that came up with that quotable quote! (Now back to your regularly scheduled forum)

ROCK ON, EUELL!

I just wanna know what a "Plam" is ... it's probably freaky.

K

Plam Pliot?

Ahu

Plam is what TiKis cough up when they have a cold.

...which is taken from the sound it makes when it hits the garbage pail.

I think I've found a new ID..."tikiplam"....
or is that too fReAkY?

....Sounds too much like "tikipam"......

A "Plam" is my friend Pam when she's plowed... I feel kinda bad for FT, posting about debarking palms in Main. Did he ever figure out how to get rid of that pesky bark?

I found the best way to get rid of the bark is to get rid of the dog. Thanks for all the stimulating insight!

all your debarking questions are answered here

B

Thanks phrique,I was going to say lose the dogue too
PhriqueTique

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-03-01 05:13 ]

On 2005-02-24 15:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
FRIGGIN' freaky, that is! Will the original Tiki Freak please stand up?

No worries....to avoid all this confusion I am backing down from "tikifreak". From now on I will just be known as "Tiki G." imagine that ..........It's cool, I have been wanting to change my username anyway.

X-tikifreak

On 2005-02-28 12:08, Benzart wrote:
Thars phrique,I was going to say lose the dogue too
PhriqueTique

Thanks for the link PT., I my use in on my neighbor's dog. He is a music critic and does not like my tiki music. Every time the music gets in beat with my rum that dog starts a barkin'.

B

Back to the original freaking question, you Don't have to strip the bark off the cabbage palm, just carvi e it and you will see the Bark is nothing more than the edge of the wood that is discolored. However yo DO need to Shut the freaking dog up.

Thanks Benzart,

I'm getting my trees in a couple of weeks. Can't wait! Maybe I'll carve a real scary tiki and position it to peek over the fence and give the dog a serious complex.

B

Excellent Idea and if you can hook up an audio sensor to light a strong torch when the dog barks, you will Really have something. A Tiki Spitting flames when the dog barks. Hmmm maybe...

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2005 7:48 AM

I use a die grinder (Nice tool!) to debark everything. Takes seconds. Benzart is correct. You can also incorporate the "bark" into the carving as it provides a contrasting color based on the age of the tree when it was harvested. It will look reddish brown at the "bark" level and then as you dig into the abyss of the pole, you will hit white fluffy wood that cuts like butter and sands well after it dries a bit. Have fun. Just carve! Post the pics too. I owe a few as I have progressed a bit.

Thanks McTiki,

Scottish aye! Me too. To bad our ancestors were a-knitting skirts instead of carving tikis. But a fine heritage it is anyway.

Pages: 1 30 replies