Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Maikai Gents New CD - Be a Part of It!

Pages: 1 21 replies

Yes, the rumors are true. The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa have a fantastic new CD coming out this Spring! There’ll be tunes we’ve never before performed live and some familiar favorites; all hapa haole gems to be sure! Some red-hot players and amazing graphic artists have assembled to make this the don’t-miss-disc of the season.

You can be a part of the magic! We are over halfway to our fundraising goal to ensure that this disc has the top-rate production value, mastering and packaging (you’re going to love the artwork and images) that it deserves. If you would like to make a donation to help us achieve our goal of presenting to you a first-class Maikai Gents experience (with a target release in May at Tiki Oasis), we have some lovely incentives:

1. For a donation of $25, we will immediately send you six(6) beautiful Maikai Gents stickers that exude Hawaiiana as well as some souvenir songsheets from past shows. We will also send you a CD when it is released.

2. For a donation of $50, we will send you twelve(12) stickers, the songsheets and two(2) CD’s when released.

3. For any donation over $50, we will add to the immediate shipment, a DVD of The Maikai Gents live at Kulak’s Woodshed in Hollywood. This is a fine production, shot with five cameras. It looks like an old-time variety show. The DVD has a running time of 53 minutes, has 16 songs (fully chaptered), features live e-mails from TC’ers with witty responses from the band. Keep an astute eye out for Suicide Sam!

4. If your donation is over $65, you’ll get everything mentioned in #3 and we will add a third CD to your shipment.

5. *Here’s where you can be immortalized along with The Maikai Gents: If you donate $75 or more, we will send you the stickers, the songsheets, the DVD, three(3) CD’s when released, AND WE WILL PRINT YOUR NAME IN THE CREDITS IN THE LINER NOTES AS A GRAND SUPPORTER! Yes, you will be known forevermore as an ardent supporter of fine music and a connoisseur of tiki and Hawaiiana.

6. For a donation of $125, you will get all the merchandise mentioned in #5, add two CD’s for a total of five(5) AND we will give you a PRODUCER’S CREDIT in our liner notes!

7. If you have an appropriate (tiki-related) website you’d like us to print or a business you’d like to have promoted in our packaging, e-mail us to discuss it.

Note: If you’d like your name, website, etc. printed in our liner notes, we must have the
donation and info by March 15.
Note: No extra shipping charges will apply to you when the CD’s are released. We’ll
just pack it up and send it to you!
Note: All CD’s sent as a result of your donation will be autographed by the band, so let
us know how to personalize them for you. They’d make great gifts, too.

All donations should be made through http://www.paypal.com to [email protected]
Be sure your shipping address gets to us.

We hope this all does not seem crass. It’s very expensive to produce a high quality CD and package independently and we absolutely appreciate your help in making this all a reality. Wow!

This has been a huge project for us and we give you our sincere thanks for your support, not only monetarily, but through coming to see us, sending us friendly notes, encouraging us to make this CD, and for just being a wonderful group of tiki lovers! You have our unending mahalos.

-Iuka Grogg

Here are a couple screen shots from the DVD:

Spirit of aloha abounds!

Okole Maluna!

H

Yay! I'm VERY happy to support the Maikai Gents CD effort--not only because these guys do good work and make great music, but also because they're such good, good boys. I can't tell if the girl is good--she's awfully mysterious.

If you've seen the polished professionalism and creative crooning of the Maikai Gents in action, then you know how great it would be if the Whole Wide World got to hear it, too. If you haven't... well then, contributing to the cause might make it happen for you, too!

Can't wait to call my Mom and tell her I've finally made it in Hollywood! I'm a PRODUCER, BABY!

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-02-25 16:16 ]

Oh wow!
I have bugged Iuka about the cd for a LOOOONGGGGG time, but he said, and I agreed, that when they're going to do it, they're gonna do it right. As someone who has put out 3 CD's, I know how expensive it is to do it on your own. I think it's a great idea to offer the donations (and with different levels). I hope enough people step up to the plate and thus allow the MaiKai Gents to put out a high quality product, as I think the result will be well worth it. Not having to cut corners is really important, and to be able to do that, you have to have the funds in advance.
Best of luck to the Gents, now they've given me another reason to look forward to the Oasis.

Ran

M

Yowza! Can't wait for this masterpiece!

There's one more special offer not listed above!

For $200, you get all of the above, PLUS: You get to shave Iuka Grogg's beard off so he looks presentable at Oasis! Step up to the plate and save the poor boy from himself!

this offer good unless iuka grogg says it isn't, since I didn't really ask him first

M

Here's a "corporate matching pledge":

All donations over $50 get two top-shelf cocktails at The Novato Grotto. Valid anytime!

Man-oh-Man! I've been waiting for this CD for YEARS now. I certainly support you guys (and gal) 150% and look forward to doing all I can to help you guys (and gal) make this CD a top seller.

On 2005-02-25 16:55, martiki wrote:

For $200, you get all of the above, PLUS: You get to shave Iuka Grogg's beard off so he looks presentable at Oasis! Step up to the plate and save the poor boy from himself!

this offer good unless iuka grogg says it isn't, since I didn't really ask him first

Iuka says that this offer is good, but for $250. The first person who donates that amount, may take the clippers to my chin on Friday night, May 6 at The Reef bar immediately preceding our performance. Thanks, Martiki, thanks a bunch, hmfffff.

Iuka

On 2005-02-26 15:56, Iuka Grogg wrote:

On 2005-02-25 16:55, martiki wrote:

Iuka says that this offer is good, but for $250. The first person who donates that amount, may take the clippers to my chin on Friday night, May 6 at The Reef bar immediately preceding our performance. Thanks, Martiki, thanks a bunch, hmfffff.

Iuka

What if you can only get an offer of $200? Do they get to shave the right side?

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-02-28 07:38 ]

C'mon everybody, this is serious, let's give these guys a hand! The charm of their soothing sound deserves the best possible reproduction! We all will cherish that CD as much as any authentic Hapa Haole recordings in our collection.

And there will be a beautiful band photo, lit and composed by veteran Hollywood Director of Photography Sven Kirsten, in it! It's luminous quality will by far supercede the grainy electronic look of the above video stills! You will swoon to the sounds and visuals of such fine talent!

N

I agree with Sven. Let's get behind these guys and support their music. I just sent my money via PayPal. Can't wait to hear the new CD.

T

Can we donate at the Odeon gig this Friday?

TR

FinallY Here!!! Cant wait! I'm very happy to lend support.
Aloha!

Count me in! $125 is heading your way. I know that ever since I got hooked on tiki I dreamt of being a part of a truly exotic music recording project. In fact, Iuka, if you remember your first visit to my pad, we talked at length about how I yearned for something like this to come together.

*There simply aren't many projects like this,*and I'm completely thrilled to help out and be a part of it. I can't wait!

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-03-09 05:05 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-03-09 05:07 ]

UB

Iuka,
Any rumors of a CD release luau?

IG

Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you and, may I add, mahalo to all of you. To say that your support is appreciated is the understatement of the year. Through your help, we've been able to book an extra day of post-production/mixing to get the sound "dialed in." That's tremendous! To answer Tiki-bot, yes you can certainly donate something at our show on Friday at the Odeon, thanks! Unga, of course there will be CD release luaus galore! I'll post on Tiki Central about them. Hanford, thanks for the kind words, I do indeed remember talking to you about this way back when. Thanks also for including us in the sidebar. If anyone still cares to donate and get some extra goodies, any more help is certainly appreciated. Mahalo Mahalo Mahalo!

-Iuka Grogg

M

Thanks Mai Kai Gents for the swag. Very cool.

Can wait for the final result when the recording process is complete.

Mahalo

T

The Mrs and I have just become producers. We couldn't think of a better way to spend $125. I think of all the crappy concerts I've seen and all the great shows The Mai Kai Gents have delivered, and it was a no brainer. Can't wait to see you guys at Oasis.

Mr. & Mrs. Pug

Aloha! It turns out that we have another week to get our liner notes together for the printer. This means that if you want to have your name included in the package you still have some time; until March 30. Thanks again, to all of you who have helped us out thus far. You are making a hapa haole extravaganza happen!

-Iuka Grogg

This Just In:

We'll be previewing our album art at our Tiki Crawl Trader Vic's show Thursday night. It's super! We'll also be giving some musical glimpses as to what can be expected from our forthcoming album. Fun!

If you'd like to get a producer credit or be recognized as a grand supporter in our liner notes, this is the last week to do so. Of course any assistance at any time is appreciated during our pledge drive. Mahalo.

-Iuka

I thought you guys were at Vic's on Friday?

Woops! Yeah, Friday. That's what I meant. Friday it is. Friday at Trader Vic's in Emeryville. Yes, indeedy! See you Friday!

-I. Grogg

IG

Aloha!

Due to some licensing delays, our liner notes wont be printed for another two days. This means that if you'd still like to be included in print, you've got a bit of time. Look at page one of this topic to see what it takes. Mahalo!

-Iuka

Pages: 1 21 replies