Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Fixing a Chip in that Mug...

Pages: 1 10 replies

TM

Got a chip in that Tiki Mug? Go get a 96 pack of Crayons....You'll be amazed!

K
Kono posted on Sat, Feb 26, 2005 6:40 AM

What are you saying? Are you filling in the chip with crayon?

TM

On 2005-02-26 06:40, Kono wrote:
What are you saying? Are you filling in the chip with crayon?

Exactly. This doesn't work that great with 'big' chips, but if there are some little 'chips' (fleabites), it works great. Just do the color match and fill in. I've used crayon on a number of mugs and some other ceramics (I have a collection of Brastoff and Italian Pottery) and it works really well.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Feb 26, 2005 7:01 AM

I've used ceramic paint in the past but you usually have to have a few different colors and mix to match the color. Crayon would be easier. I wonder if there's a clear ceramic "paint" (you know what I mean) that you could brush over the crayon to protect it from rubbing off. I've used furniture pencils on Coco Joes but it would rub off if you grabbed it in the wrong spot.

TM

The crayon doesn't rub off. It seems to adhere to the unglazed ceramic pretty well. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.....

On 2005-02-26 07:01, Kono wrote:
I wonder if there's a clear ceramic "paint" (you know what I mean) that you could brush over the crayon to protect it from rubbing off.

Clear nail polish would probably work.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Feb 26, 2005 12:27 PM

On 2005-02-26 11:37, cynfulcynner wrote:
Clear nail polish would probably work.

Good idea!

DZ

On 2005-02-26 07:01, Kono wrote:
I've used furniture pencils on Coco Joes but it would rub off if you grabbed it in the wrong spot.

Just a simple black Sharpie works wonders on CoCo Joes. It doesn't make up for big chips, obviously, but scratches and exposed white areas of the "lava" it does the trick. Dab it on then 'smear' it so it doesn't get glossy - voila!

8T

Please make sure you purchase the real original Binney & Smith Crayola crayons. They're the best (and it is a subsidiary of my parent Co.)

Dows anyone know if there is something, some sort of putty or filler, that can be used to fill in larger chips? like one on the rim of your once minty Islander bowl that some knucklehead banged something into and made a big chip on the inner lip?
Aloha,
:tiki:

Try modeling putty.

Pages: 1 10 replies