Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Highest price paid for a tiki menu?

Pages: 1 15 replies

This menu auction brought this question to mind for me:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13356&forum=12&6

In it, kohalacharms paid $360.50 for a very cool Chin Tiki menu. wow.

We've asked the "Highest price for a tiki mug?" question before, but not being a collector of menus per se, I'm wondering what the most is that anyone knows of having been paid?

I love menus and I'll take any I can get, but I don't fight for them. The highest I've paid is $40 at an antique mall for a Matson Line menu with my favorite Savage print cover. I'll someday frame this, open, with glass on both sides so you can still read the menu (and the former owner's choices, as he/she underlined them!)

Formikahini

S

Menus are darned hard to find in antiique stores. Tiki menus, even harder. I have paid around $130 for Mai Kai and Kahiki menus. Where's calypsogirl? She is the menu collector and ought to know the answer to this.

D

Ah,Calypsogirl! Another legend in menu collecting!I've purchased a few from her-a very nice lady.The highest tiki menu price I remember was over $550.00,but for the life of me I can't remember which one it was.Maybe the Islands or something-not sure.Figures that I remembered the price,but not the title.

docwoods~ i believe that was the price paid 6 months back for a minty tiki bob's menu.

P

Hey, that's me ! I'm calypsogirl on ebay. Thanks for your kind words, docwoods. I think the Tiki Bob's menu was the most expensive I remember so far. There was an Islander Stockton menu that was a pricey one, too...and also an Aloha Jhoe's menu awhile back that might have also gone over $ 400, I think.

wasn't there a tahitian or a luau menu that also went for near $500 bucks. seems that there was but i can't remember for sure. now the guy is selling copies of the menu on ebay.

D

Thanks,Tikicleen for the accurate info.Puamana-great to see you're Calypsogirl-I would love it if you would post some of your treasures-not only do you have impressive tiki menus,you won a huge score a while back with a lot of something like 1500 menus.I thought of how fun that must have been to wade through such a huge box of goodies-tell!

I've got one of the first menus from the first Kelbo's on West Pico. At that time they didn't even have any cocktails, only beer and wine.

On the menu the owners, whose name combines to form 'Kelbo's' (Thomas Patrick Kelly and Jack H. Bouck), talk about pouring the slab for the restaurant on October 15, 1945.

My wahine picked it up for $45, and possibly because it's where we used to date, or because it's a So Cal location, it's one of my favorites.

I can only post a portion of it because the bed on my scanner isn't long enough to scan the whole menu.

(Soon as mama-san comes back from Minnesota (don't ask) I'll beg her to scan and post it.)

I just missed this one,was it the Beachcomber here in the UK?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6517133384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

J

I saw one recently go for something like $350 - can't remember what it was though. I love the menus and would love to have a collection but aside from the manditory Trader Vic's menu and a Kon-Tiki I recently won on Ebay for a decent price, my menu collection is pretty small. I'd love to see more pics of menus, (Puamana :) ) that way I can steal some of the exotic prose lavished on each drink description for my own cocktail menu!

On 2005-03-14 07:12, cheekytiki wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6517133384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Nope, it's the Beachcomber in Edmonton. I was interested in this one but it was too rich for my current circumstances. Still, it was a bargain -- when Emma One Shoe was selling off Beachcomber items from an estate sale about a year ago the menus went for considerably more. I think the seller would have had more interest if he/she had put "Tiki" somewhere in the description.

On 2005-03-14 09:47, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

On 2005-03-14 07:12, cheekytiki wrote:

Nope, it's the Beachcomber in Edmonton. I was interested in this one but it was too rich for my current circumstances. Still, it was a bargain -- when Emma One Shoe was selling off Beachcomber items from an estate sale about a year ago the menus went for considerably more. I think the seller would have had more interest if he/she had put "Tiki" somewhere in the description.

I won that one - I thought I got a steal, until Sabu let me know they guy has been selling them for a while.... Oh well - I still think it is a beautiful menu, and that it is confirmed from the 60s, is even better....

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-03-15 10:28 ]

Lucky -
That menu is really nice. That pic is awesome.
Later,
Spermy

M

It may not be a menu, and it may not be the most ever paid, but "Damnit, Janet!" that's a lot of clam:

MINOR SOIL OR STAINING

I could buy a whole mess of pies with that kind of money.

midnite

That's Crazy!!!

I've got one of those Trader Vic's booklets that I bought on Ebay for about $20 three years ago. Now I feel like I should sell it and make a mortgage payment. What a dilemma.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-03-15 17:23 ]

That seller must be crapping themselves!
I think when Bertha from Deluth lists something like that, then ends up making hundreds they get tiki fever....all the sudden anything with a palm frond or anything remotely "Hawaiiana" ends up "tiki mug".....we've all seen the hilarious examples.....here's a good one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3923&item=6162640658&rd=1

No offense if anyone has one of those LOL! :D

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2005-03-15 17:52 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies