Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Corrugated Tapa

Pages: 1 5 replies

S

I have a whole roll of corrugated tapa...
http://www.shindigz.com/catalog.cfm?pgp=P0371B
I bought it without a specific project in mind, but I'd like to make it less pliable, possibly to use as a veneer for a wall ledge to hold mugs. Maybe even to reface a cheap office armoire I bought at Kmart for 99 bucks. Is this possible? I was thinking maybe a spray lacquer or varnish?

Possible you ask? Sure, maybe using some polyurethane of table top resin availeable at Home Depot. Just make sure you read the lable warnings so this doesn't turn it into a big fire combustible thing.

I'm thinking I'd remove the corrugated backing, though. Even if you put on a hundred coats of varnish, those little airspaces will still make it puncturable and allow condensation to collect.

After seeing the corrugated tapa, I got to wondering about if anyone has seen any tapa print wall paper out there.
Thanks

Hey SoBeTiki,
I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to welcome you back. It's been awhile since I've seen your posts. We still need to meet up at the Mai-Kai, the Hukilau or some such place.
KG

S

Kailuageoff,

Always happy to hear from the Florida contingent. Yes, we must make plans. I'm still holding out for some entrepreneur to open a Tiki Lounge here on South Beach. The Luau II anyone?

Pages: 1 5 replies