Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Double sided GLASS tiki mugs

Pages: 1 12 replies

Does anyone know how many variations there are with the glass double sided (frown/smile) tiki goblets?

I know of two sizes. One about 6 inches and the shorter at about 5 inches.

I know there are the clear glass versions. The frosted versions from the Polynesian Resort. A tall green, a tall milk glass and a tall amber glass.

Are there shorter versions in the milk glass, green and amber? And are there other colors?

HT

This is by no means a definitive answer.

2 Sizes. The large size, and the Polynesian Resort size we're all familiar with.

Finishes: Clear, Frosted, Opaque.

Colors: Clear, Frosted, Opaque White, Opaque Black, Opaque Tan, Opaque Cream, Translucent Green, Translucent Amber.

They were marketed as a vase, or planter, and occasionally, you can still find them in boxes.

The small ones are still made, Big Moma's Fish House in HI has that as their tiki mug. I've got one a friend picked up for me.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2005-03-01 07:53 ]

I've seen and have the frosted tan, brown, cream and black short guys. With the old fashion hob-nail style candle holder in them they make some fantastic table accessories.

I've also seen the short guys crop up in restaurants lately. Red Robin in my area has a drink they served in one BUT you don't get to keep the glass! Rotten bas....never mind...

Has anyone actually laid an eye on the short amber, green and milk glass versions?

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2005 4:56 PM

I've seen the short brown, black, cream and tan in stores. Archie McPhee had a bunch last time I was in the store. So far no tall ones in the 'painted' versions.

B

On 2005-03-08 16:56, Kono wrote:
Here are some short brown ones:

AND HERE IS A SHORT WHITE ONE -
https://dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr/~fabre/loisirs/logos/mini-me.jpg

[edited by hanford to change the https link]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-03-09 13:30 ]

The Red Robins up here sell the little clear ones for $5 CAD each. They're great for ice cream :)

D

i found these for 1.95 ~ pretty cheap!

at American Scientific

Dogbytes, I have the cream/yellow one, are they suppose to be painted like that? I was thinking about stripping it (probably wouldn't have) but after seeing your pic, I'm having second thoughts.

John, I think DogBytes' mugs are bisque fired not painted.

I've got 5 of those little guys and the colored finish on them, what ever it is, is really REALLY on there tight. It does scratch with a knife so I suspect it would come off with some furniture stripper.

D

dunno, Uncle John.. its just something i ran across .. i dont own any.. but the text on the website says ~
" Clear glass inside, matte finish outside in colors best described as Dreamsicle or Diluted Coke."

UJ

good thing i didn't try to remove it then.

Pages: 1 12 replies