Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Chin Tiki Letter Opener

Pages: 1 6 replies

M

That "rare Chin Tiki letter opener" is actually an equally rare swizzle stick, one of the finest examples of it's genre (Tiki swizzle sticks), and you can appreciate it in red on page 14 of the BOT. I am confident it was not a letter opener, because letter receiving and writing took a waaaay back back seat to cocktail imbibing at the Chin Tiki :P

Whoever got that menu should have one of these, too. It is the same Tiki than on the menu and also on the back of the Chin Tiki postcard and thus qualifies as the Chin Tiki logo Tiki! I have not seen a mug of it, and I was a little dissapointed when I did not find a full scale carving of it in the group photo in that urban explorer thread a couple of weeks ago, but any Tiki reproduced in three different mediums and sculpted at least once (here on the swizzle stick) qualifies for logo Tiki status with me.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-02-28 13:45 ]

M

I thought it might be swizzle stick, but it is pretty wide and has a blade like a letter opener. Maybe it was intended for dual purpose...swizzle stick at the bar and take home to use as letter opener?

Matt

Nope. Sorry. Not a chance. Can't let that pass. No sireee, that is a niet, nein, non, nada.

...what I am trying to say is that it is unlikely.

M

...or maybe it was intended to be used as self defense....Chin Tiki was down in the heart of Detroit where the riots occurred in 1967...awfully knife like in shape....

T

Bigbro,
I read a lot of your posts and have you ever thought of teaching tiki at a near by college. You already know the required reading for your class.

What I had in mind rather was a professorship at the University of Honululu, in the newly created Polynesian Pop department. :wink:

Pages: 1 6 replies