Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Please lend a hand with clearing the BOT's record...

Pages: 1 17 replies

...on Amazon. I've been "reporting" this certain review as inappropriate since it appeared, but nobody there seems to give a damn', maybe if a couple of hundred clicks come in they'll take it off.
It cost me my five star rating, and that irks me. Whenever the BOT gets mentioned in the press (which still happens) newbies should not be made to doubt it's top ranking ...

This is the "review", with a "one star" (the lowest) rating:

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful (!?!?-ed):

what the f*** is a "sourcing fee"?!, January 27, 2005
Reviewer: Ryan Khatam (Escondido, CA USA) - (See all my reviews)

This is an EXCELLENT book full of superb vintage photos (my friend owns this book) and I was about to buy it as well until i saw this new "sourcing fee" bullcrap amazon.com is charging.

$11 for a "sourcing fee"??????!!! ELEVEN DOLLARS?? that makes THIS paperback edition JUST AS expensive as the HARDCOVER!!

WTF?

Was this review helpful to you?  (Report this)

If you click on "report this" at the bottom of his post
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/382282433X/ref=lpr_g_1/103-8340384-2667867?v=glance&s=books

it will automatically report the rating as inappropriate, which anybody (except Mr. Ryan Khatam) can see it is. Wonder if he did that to all the other books that require a sourcing fee, too. However much that fee might suck, it is certainly not the BOT's doing.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-02-28 14:24 ]

TD

Easy as clicking a button. OK 2 if you count the inappropriate button. 3 if you click the no button on "Was this review helpful to you?"

I completely disagree with the reviewers rating of the book, but still, why is Amazon charging 19.99 for the book + 11.51 sourcing fee?

Buy.com $13.29
eCampus $13.99

[ Edited by: Tiki Dude on 2005-02-28 15:03 ]

T

Done and done!

it must have been removed because I can't find that review anywhere.

-Z

T

I'm not seeing this review. Is it still there?

TD

The bad rewiew is gone!

That was way fast. Book of Tiki is back is to 5 stars and order has been restored to the universe!

[ Edited by: Tiki Dude on 2005-02-28 15:24 ]

Wow, that was FAST! Bingo, back to full 5 Star rating, and down from 30 reviews to 29!

Mucho Mahalo, should have called on you guys earlier, I had been trying to change that for a couple of weeks, to no avail.

Rallying the Tiki troops won the battle!

Yahoo! Glad icould help.
Just got my baby BOT yesterday, so now I have a special copy for 'at work'

T

Why did you want to keep the 5 star rating so badly anyway?

I sent customer service an e-mail asking what the "sourcing fee" was all about. Why would someone want to pay an additional 50+% without offering an explanation of what it is?

On 2005-02-28 15:48, Tiki-bot wrote:
Why did you want to keep the 5 star rating so badly anyway?

as I said above:

Whenever the BOT gets mentioned in the press (which still happens) newbies should not be made to doubt it's top ranking ...

...not for such a ridiculous reason, anyway.

I am glad I could do my part!

And why wouldn't bigbrotiki want to keep his 5-star rating when the rating was being pushed down by an entirely inappropriate review?!?!

I just thought that having a book on Amazon with a 5 star rating must get you into some kind of secret kabal or something. I mean, do people really judge a book differently if it has a 4 or 5 star rating? I just don't get it, as is often the case.

M
  • I just don't get it, as is often the case. *

What $%#@! Chilsom Trail?

Ever get the feeling there's something going on we don't know about? (From my all-time fave film, "Diner")

Re: sourcing fee

It's pretty common in some forms of commercial enterprise. In relation to publishing/retail all I can think of is it is a surcharge for "hard to find" or international titles. The amount of the fee for the little BOT seems outrageous, but that's me. I don't even pay retail for my insulin, I steal from my Mom's supply. Oh ha ha, just kidding, she's dead.

midnite

hey folks. this is a little off topic but borders has the book in stock(even in little old modesto,ca) and there is NO source fee. just a heads up for those who still need to pick up a copy.

Z

Somewhat related to the Drunken Hat's comments: when I visit book stores that have the BOT in stock, I usually find it in the correct section, but somewhat hidden, so I move it to eye level, so someone new might discover it. At my local Borders, I moved it (and the Icons edition)from the almost unreachable top shelf to the main shelf of the area, placing it between to 2 copies of "Pad", and a copy of "Atomic Kitchens". Also, Border's computer printed price tag has Sven's name misspelled as "Kristen". May be a problem for people trying to have Borders re-order when they sell out.

PI

Can I just say that I LOVE my Icons edition? I bought it at the Mai Kai a few weeks ago for $10, and it was signed and everything. It's such a cute size!

For a while I saw this post and thought you meant TikiBot's record...
I kept thinking 'has he been flaming that stupid parrothead vs. tiki post again?'

now that you guys have cleared the Book of Tiki's reputation up, can you work on Tiki-Bot?
:wink:

Pages: 1 17 replies