Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the mystery of tiki

Pages: 1 18 replies

GUYS AND GALS,,,
TELL ME, WHY ARE WE ATTRACTED TO THIS PHENOMENON OF TIKI...
AS FOR ME, I THINK ITS THE MUSIC AND THE CARVINGS... HOW BOUT ALL OF YOU?

M

I AM ATTRACTED TO TIKI BECAUSE I LIKE IT!

I'M SECRETLY ATTRACTED TO MR. SMILEY!...... errr, ahh ....? I,I, I have to go now!

I think the answer is roughly the same as the answer to the question, why do you love lying in a hammock?

TM

Ok, I'll be the one to do it. First off apnarcise, welcome to Tiki Central. You may not get a straight answer here. This subject has been covered many times, in one way or another, here on TC. You may want to do a search for different subjects using the search tool or browse through old posts before posting.....By the way, I think I'm attracted to Devil-like Tikis....Hmmmmm

I'm into it 'cause I like kickin' back an' puttin' on some Buffett an' sippin' on an ice cold Budweiser an' lightin' up a big, fat... Waitasecond. What the hell am I talking about?

K

TELL ME, WHY ARE WE ATTRACTED TO THIS PHENOMENON OF TIKI...
AS FOR ME, I THINK ITS THE MUSIC AND THE CARVINGS... HOW BOUT YOU?

WHAT?

I SAID, WHY ARE WE ATTRACTED TO THIS PHENOMENON OF TIKI...
AS FOR ME, I THINK ITS THE MUSIC AND THE CARVINGS... HOW BOUT YOU?

WHAT?

THIS PHENOMENON OF TIKI!
I THINK ITS THE MUSIC AND THE CARVINGS!

WHAT ABOUT YOU?

WHAT?

NEVER MIND!

HANG ON A SECOND! I'LL TURN DOWN THE STEREO!

I'm sorry...what were you saying?

Ahu (KuKu)

ha ha, okeeh, now let me try:

Tiki music? Tiki carvings? -Tiki-shmiki! Never spent a minute thinking about dem goonies. Once you've seen one, you seen dem all!

Huh?...waitAminnit! Found this quote here:

"Anyone who has ever seen them, is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream."

Freaky!

...and here's another wise guy:
"Do not ASK Tiki, BE Tiki !" (attributed to Dr. Funk)

This is a response regarding tiki and Hawaii, and I think you will find this thread insightful:

To me, Hawaii (Oahu) is the mana and history of tiki, the celebration of polynesian pop and the remains of the glorious 50s era, the joy of the aloha and one of the ultimate destinations on the tiki hunt.

It the mana and history of tiki by the beauty of a brilliant sunset over the ocean, by seeing tikis in their original location at Kiane' aki or (on the Big Island) the Place of Refuge, visiting the heiaus and learning of tiki history at the Bishop Museum.

It is the celebration of polynisean pop by visiting La Marianara, catching a Don Ho show and having your picture taken in front of the Hawaiian Hotel.

It is the spirit of aloha from the conch shell blow, the swaying hips & hands of the hula illuminated by tiki torches or by receiving a lei upon arriving.

It is pursuing the tiki hunt across the Pacific by going to the birth place of the Mai Tai and having another and going to the birth place of (Hawiian) tiki and buying another. It is searching high and low for tikis on the island, at the swap meet, at Gecko's, at Tiki's at the Ashton BeachFront Hotel, at the International Marketplace and the Polynesian Cultural Center.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9230&forum=1

Most of all, it is celebrating all that is tiki in (one of) the birthplace of tiki.

TM

Wait a minute, I retract my previous post. I agree with BigBro - Tiki-shmiki!

K

Thanks christiki...that was beautifully put.

I'll be going back to Kauai in april, and I'll be keeping all of the sentiment from your post and the thread you linked in mind.

Ahu

To quote Paul Gauguin: "You will always find nourishment in the primitive arts, in the civilized arts I doubt that you will."

Because Greg Brady wore a cool tiki around his neck when the Brady's went to Hawaii.

TTT :)

Because I long to escape my repressed suburban lifestyle and take a walk on the wild side.

Oh, and meet all the hot, swingin' celebs of the tiki world.

I'm into Tiki cuz I like large breasts.

Simple.

And small ones.

but NOT the manly kind.

That's about the same thing Paul Gauguin said when he pulled up in Papeete.

UB

On 2005-02-28 22:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
"Anyone who has ever seen them, is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream."

Freaky!

As long as you're having fun, right Sven! :D

Pages: 1 18 replies