Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

looking for tiki and other low-brow artists for gallery

Pages: 1 10 replies

aloha!

I'm starting up an on-line low brow art gallery, called LOWLIFE GALLERY(.COM). I'm looking for any artists interested in having their work displayed. Though I don't have a permanent physical space yet(it's in the works), I do have a place to hold shows on occasion for as long as a month or so per show. It's conveniently located in the heart of chicago's trendiest hoods(which means people with $$ for art)above a trendy bar(very convienient). The premise of the gallery is to draw attention to the up and coming artists of mainly the midwest low-brow scene. there are so many talented individuals who aren't getting the recognition they deserve, and I'd like to offer an opportunity for exposure, plus, create a place where people can get cool art and merchandise that is all hand made. There will be no commercial items sold here. you will not see von dutch, shag or any other commercially made products or prints. Not that I don't like that stuff, but I'm trying to keep it all real and original. Like I said, it's about getting attention to the new artists, not bolstering the already famous ones. They get enough attention. Think of the gallery as the CBGB'S of lowbrow art. This is where I would like artists to be discovered before they go on to the big league low-brow galleries. you WILL see pinstriped purses, mailboxes and other items by voodoo larry. color pencil drawings by paul moch (check out the march group show for 2 of paul's works at La luz de jesus gallery- this is his first west -coast appearance in 20 yrs.) Lamps by Deacon, as well as custom chopper bikes, furniture, paintings, etc. -Also featured will be my original art collection for people to view, known as the in-house collection -these will not be for sale but simply to view. This is not a money making endeavor. I have enough projects going for that. The overhead is super low. I am only asking for a mere 20% of sales. The artist gets 80%. This is to keep the gallery up and running, pay for wine and cheese at shows, rent of space, misc. etc.etc. I'm not doing this to fleece artists....I've been down the road as a struggling artist for years and it's a real bitch!! I'd like to think I'm providing an opportunity to artists that I didn't have when making my way up the ranks. I also have a charity benefit show coming up toward the end of the year.-all proceeds to benefit chicago charities. I think it will be a fun experience so if any of you are up to it, drop me an email, send me pics of your work, etc.

thanks all....

TG

Tipsy, sounds cool. Private e-mail to [email protected] when your ready. I can send some stuff your way if I have what you are looking for, no problem........

Gary

T

Tiki G

you chanced your name or something?

Sounds like a great idea TMcS.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-06-22 23:09 ]

T

sOundS gNarLy! wHere dO wE sign up?

M

Hiya Tipsy,

I wanted to wish you luck in your endeavor. Looking forward to seeing your offerings.

@;-)

Rae

HI! I was just wondering if this was still something you were planning on doing? If so, I'd like to talk to you..I'm over in Indiana...

Thanks!
Robin

T

Count me in. I can drop ship. Mahalo

Sounds K@@L I,ll drop you a e,mail with info pic,s ect .

How do I get stuff like this to happen in Australia - what a great idea - we do public shows - usually out in a street at a variety of "events" I have been pushing an upheel battle to get more low brow artists out on show to the general public so they can make some dough and show just how great there stuff is - it is hard if you are not doughed up and dont have ulterior motives of getting rich on others work. There is a festival over here which I originally did a lot of carvings for and got the lowbrow artists to put there stuff on show - but it ended up purely a money making event for the organiser with no gratitude or appreciation for the artists so I have dropped it. Good Luck with your show and if you every want anything from Australia - drop me a line

B

I just read this post and am wondering if you are still looking for artists. I have two different "bodies" of work that I'm ready to show, and am working on another. For starters, it's all on my website if you have the time to take a look. (You can click on the link on my signature.)

I think what you are doing is a great idea. How is it working out so far? Have you had a lot of interest? How have your artists fared?

I would love to hear back from you when you get a minute.

Thanks a million. Good luck to you!

Pages: 1 10 replies