Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Hand Carved???

Pages: 1 21 replies

T

I would say it is.

Not a bad price since I've seen one in a Balto antique shop for $20!?! :o

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar
It just may be that the only purpose to your life is to serve as a warning to others.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2005-03-02 03:54 ]

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2005-03-02 03:54 ]

J

That is downright wrong for someone to sell one of those Dollar Store tikis and try and pass it off as wood! If I bought it and found out it wasn't wood but perhaps resin or hapawood I might be fine with it - but those things are hollow! How could someone selling this thing not figure that out? I found out when I dropped one of mine on the floor and it broke in half.

B

I posted that in Shout last night. I shot the buyer an email warning, and he responded, thanking me. If you check the sellers feedback, you'll notice this is a trend. Quite a few Negatives resulting from trying to pass something off as original/vintage. Including a few where the seller claimed the item had been professional tested to be carved from bone/ivory, only to have the buyer state it was obviously plastic.

B
K
Kono posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2005 6:04 PM

On 2005-03-06 17:58, badmojo wrote:
It just gets worse...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=553&item=5367996917&rd=1

From Singapore??? There's no shortage of scumbags on ebay.

T

On 2005-03-06 18:04, Kono wrote:

On 2005-03-06 17:58, badmojo wrote:
It just gets worse...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=553&item=5367996917&rd=1

From Singapore??? There's no shortage of scumbags on ebay.

There might be a Dollar store in Singapore. It just wouldn't be called a Dollar Store.

M

At least Singapore rhymes with dolla store!!!

J
Jawa posted on Thu, Mar 10, 2005 11:43 AM

I saw this on eBay on Monday...glad I did not bid!

My theory is if a person can not take the time to take a clear photo, then they are not worth buying from...know what I mean?

• Jason
T

"Tiki wood carved figurine"

"The original price paid for this tiki was 19.95."

It sure looks like a Dollar Tree tiki to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3975459103&rd=1

J

Thanks for the link Tikiphil! No one even consider bidding on it - it's all mine!!! I even e-mailed the seller a question...

Wow, that's a wooden tiki? I purchased one just like it last summer at the Dollar Store... the wooden one you have must be like the one they used to cast the plastic version they sold for $1.00! I will definitely be bidding on it - I wouldn't want to miss out on such a cool handcarved treasure!

...I'm wondering what his response will be? I was thinking of offering $1.00 and seeing if he'd end the auction early!

K

"The original price paid for this tiki was 19.95."

That was the original price he probably paid for it on Ebay.

...I'm wondering what his response will be?

That's hilarious! Let us know what the response is.

[ Edited by: Juno on 2005-05-18 16:26 ]

B

Here's a novel approach, CTHULHU
TIKI!!!

J

Would you believe it? The guy never responded to my question and the $7.01 final bid didn't meet his reserve.

On 2005-05-18 18:34, badmojo wrote:
Here's a novel approach, CTHULHU
TIKI!!!

"Discovered by Dr.Ramond Hubbard, during an expedition off the coastal region of the Pagoogoo Island's, The Cthulhu Tiki is one of the major Mythos related finds of modern times."

Eh?

Trader Woody

14 year old fertility tikis!

14 years old? funny, they look like dollar tree tikis to me.

never trust a grainy photo.

(see bigfoot, UFO's and ghosts) :lol:

T

aspiritualconcept, I call shenanigans.

I sent this to the seller, we'll see if they reply.

"I saw this ebay auction and couldn't help but notice the similarity between the two "fertility figures".

I believe the figures in the other auctionwere made for sale at Dollar Tree stores this year and last year."

Image from the other auction...

B

I love the fact that this seller considers the trio statue to be 3 individual tikis. Therefore 7 statues = 15 Tikis.
Lot of 15 Hawaiian Tikis + MORE

$26.00?!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3979056196&rd=1

"Wood"?"from an estate sale a long time ago"?

I think that if you see this kind of flagrant lying, report it to ebay.

B

Pages: 1 21 replies