Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Need Tiki Room Fabrication Advice

Pages: 1 4 replies

I’m seeking some advice from TCers experienced or at least opinionated on home Tiki room fabrication. I have great plans but alas little experience…

Specifically when attaching bamboo poles to the ceiling (to crate faux rafters) is it better (either aesthetically or just practical) to use half split poles or poles with just a small section removed to form a flat attachment surface? What is the best way to secure these to sheetrock ceiling (sheet rock screws or some type of anchor/lag bolts). I will likely be using poles from 3” to 1.5” in diameter). The poles will also serve to cover the seams in the cabana matting that I intend to use on the ceiling. How is the best way to put up the matting (stapled or glued)? Also what is the best way to cut cabana to form a straight (non-ragged edge). Is it worth the cost/effort to apply a fire retardant to the cabana and the thatch above the bar?

I intend to build a bar as well that will be largely covered in bamboo poles 1 to 1.5” in diameter. I thought I’d start by build a box/frame of plywood and then covering the exterior with poles. Again is it best to use half split poles or poles with just a small section removed to form a flat attachment surface? For the bar top I was going to buy a Koa board off E-bay (approximately 2”thick and 8 to 9” wide) so that I could split it thru the thickness and form two book matched boards about a 1” thick. I then thought I’d wrap the bar top edges in 2 to 3” wide strips of curly mango or curly redwood. That would yield me a bar top (resting on plywood) that is 1’ thick and about 22 to 24” deep. Will that work (ie: are those types of wood stable enough)? I would also like to attach a bamboo canopy covered in thatch. Is there a book that would show me how to lash the support canopy together?

Last question for now. I purchased a beautiful Tongan tapa which I intend to cut into 14” strips to create a boarder to use on my walls at the ceiling intersection. Its such a beautiful thing I hate to glue it up is there a less destructive way to hang it? Also should it be backed to preserve it???

Mahalo for any help given

Some advice on mounting Bamboo & Lauhala matting (this might give you an idea for mounting the Tapa):

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9800&forum=7

S

Though I am no expert, I have helped build Hale Tiki with Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al who are experts, swapped story about BKs building the Kon Tiki Paradise Room and made my little Hideaway.

On 2005-03-02 11:52, vini-tiki-vechi wrote:
I’m seeking some advice from TCers experienced or at least opinionated on home Tiki room fabrication. I have great plans but alas little experience…

Specifically when attaching bamboo poles to the ceiling (to crate faux rafters) is it better (either aesthetically or just practical) to use half split poles or poles with just a small section removed to form a flat attachment surface? >>

If you split bamboo in half, you basically get twice the bamboo for your money. It would also likely be easier to hang, but if the full round look is what you want, you can do it that way.

That small caliber bamboo will hold up easily, but setting anything in the sheet rock will be tough. Use your best judgement. Hanging it with wires is easy and near invisible. One screw at your cross-overs ought to work to hold your bamboo, but it's all going to take your own ingenuity. That's part of the process. Each situation calls for a different tactic.

Both. Glue it and staple it to help keep it flat on the surface and just up there.

Can't answer. We just did it with a knife and then trimmed it to hide under the bamboo.

Keep a fire extenguiser nearby at all times and don't run wires in that stuff unless they are disconnected at all times when you are not present. Use good sense. No more dangerous than curtains...

<I intend to build a bar as well that will be largely covered in bamboo poles 1 to 1.5” in diameter. I thought I’d start by build a box/frame of plywood and then covering the exterior with poles. Again is it best to use half split poles or poles with just a small section removed to form a flat attachment surface?>

Half.

Check my bar thread for ideas. I made a frame of split bamboo and then used jute to tie the thatch to it. Just recall those Gilligan's Island episodes.

You are already cutting it up... Do you plan to tear this down some time or what? You can sew velcro to the tapa and then hang it that way to the way. You'll be able to remove it later. That's what I did to hang the Samoan piece I have. But the baist stitch by hand was very painful to do. I used this site fpr instructions

Just do it. As Bamboo Ben says: "It's tiki. It should not be perfect."

K
Kono posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2005 6:39 PM

On 2005-03-02 11:52, vini-tiki-vechi wrote:
Last question for now. I purchased a beautiful Tongan tapa which I intend to cut into 14” strips to create a boarder to use on my walls at the ceiling intersection. Its such a beautiful thing I hate to glue it up is there a less destructive way to hang it? Also should it be backed to preserve it???

Elmer's Tack is a wonder tool. It's strong and sticky yet peels off easily and leaves no residue or stain. It's strong enough that I've used it to hang wooden pieces on the wall that have no hook or nail hole. I also use it in place of tape to attach a print to the matting and it leaves no stain or residue. Great stuff.

Mahalo to all for the advise....the past "how to" post by Monkey Man was excellent. I would still like to know if there is a picture guide to lashing bamboo somewhere?
As soon as I finish the room, I post plenty of pictures.

Pages: 1 4 replies