Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

This Thursday 3/3 in Oakland/East Bay: Humuhumu & Monica

Pages: 1 14 replies

H

I'm going to be flying into Oakland this Thursday, as will my friend Monica from Seattle, we're heading out on the Reno Fun Train the next day, and we'll be looking to hit the town. We're thinking Trader Vic's, Conga Lounge, and/or Mallard... we'll be carless, so TV is the only sure bet, but if someone is hell-bent on doing something different than TV's and is willing to haul our asses around, we're open to other ideas.

How about this: unless someone else really wants to do something different and has a clear plan, Monica & I will plan on being in the Trader Vic's Emeryville bar starting at about 8:30ish. Meet us there, or of course feel free to call me on my cell.

T

Hey, Humuhumu, I'll be there! Where are you staying?
I'll see if Mrs P wants to join. Lui the Glick may even come!

I will defy the baby pineapple and stay up past our bedtime! only for Humu2 :)

bring on Lui the Glick!

xoxox
mrs. p

H

On 2005-03-02 13:42, Tiki-bot wrote:
Where are you staying?

Dunno yet, somewhere within easy cab distance of the train station. Probably the Holiday Inn, that's where I normally stay.

Yay! I can't wait to see (or imagine I can see) the bump o' Baby Pineapple!

p.s. -- I am solidly pro-Glick.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-03-02 14:50 ]

T
thejab posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2005 3:11 PM

Count me in, but I need to call Ed "Christ on a crutch!" tonight to see when he's flying in tomorrow, as I'll have to pick him up. I'll call you sometime tomorrow.

M

On 2005-03-02 13:30, Humuhumu wrote:
I'm going to be flying into Oakland this Thursday, , and we'll be looking to hit the town. We're thinking Trader Vic's, Conga Lounge, and/or Mallard... we'll be carless, so TV is the only sure bet, but if someone is hell-bent on doing something different than TV's and is willing to haul our asses around, we're open to other ideas.

How about this: unless someone else really wants to do something different and has a clear plan, Monica & I will plan on being in the Trader Vic's Emeryville bar starting at about 8:30ish. Meet us there, or of course feel free to call me on my cell.

The Conga Lounge is really easy to get to on Bart, it is about 2 or 3 blocks from the Rockridge Station. And if you can get to the Coliseum Bart Station (near the airport), you can get to Vic's .
It is cheap and easy to get to Vic's in Emeryville with Public Transportation if you are planning on heading back before 10pm(after 10pm you can take a cab back to the BART station).
You take BART to the Mac Arthur station, get off and take the FREE shuttle "Emery GO Round" and get off at the Watergate Shopping Center. It is a two block walk from there. I don't know if the shuttle runs on weekends. Visit http://www.emerygoround.com
for details.

Yay! I can't wait to see (or imagine I can see) the bump o' Baby Pineapple!

it's more of a 'my, what a big meal you just ate?' than a bump, but I'll wear my biggest mumu and we can pretend!

Can't wait to see you!
xoxox
pineappleses

PS - on a side note, we realized we were pregnant 2 days after the infamous Novato Grotto/crazy Christmas light house shenanigans, so despite my best intentions, the baby pineapple has already had their first rum cocktail! OOPS, the dr. says this is QUITE common, and not to fret, at least they were introduced to high quality Martiki & Rebecca mixology! They'll be snobs for sure!

M

Wooohooo!!!!!

It'll be in the blood.

My mother drank throughout her pregnancy, and I came out fine. Right? Right?

Off to have a breakfast Mai Tai!

My mom said she drank 2 martinis a week, and smoked, and took 'mother's little helpers' (speed) during her pregnancies. (to her credit, I am the 7th of 9 kids, so the drinking, smoking and pep pills are, sort of understandable. I personally would have thrown birth control into the cocktail, but that's just me...)

Mr. Pineapple is policing my sushi and bleu cheese intake, and the little critter's heartbeat is tick tocking away, so all is fine, I can't wait to have my first real cocktail, only about 10 months!

I'll make the bartender at Vic's make a special virgin for me :)

H

Turns out I'll be solo tonight & this weekend -- poor Monica has come down with the flu.

Bah!

I work Thursday night, tonight! Blasphemous!

T
thejab posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 4:22 PM

That's too bad about Monica. I hope she feels better soon.

I'm picking Ed up at Oakland airport at 8:40. We should be at Trader Vic's by 9:30 at the latest.

M

On 2005-03-03 08:59, mrs. pineapple wrote:
My mom said she drank 2 martinis a week, and smoked, and took 'mother's little helpers' (speed) during her pregnancies. (to her credit, I am the 7th of 9 kids, so the drinking, smoking and pep pills are, sort of understandable. I personally would have thrown birth control into the cocktail, but that's just me...)

Mr. Pineapple is policing my sushi and bleu cheese intake, and the little critter's heartbeat is tick tocking away, so all is fine, I can't wait to have my first real cocktail, only about 10 months!

Cripes, I'd need more drugs than that to deal with that many kids.

As a strange aside, my cousin's 4 year old daughter has a taste for blue cheese and can't get enough of it. Perhaps it does come through the milk!

M

Sorry we can't join you tonight- gotta get ready and do some shopping for tomorrow!

Also-

Economics 101:

$25 = Two Trader Vic's Navy Grogs
$25 = Five Trader Dick's Navy Grogs

(well, these things apply to us po' folk.)

H

Jeebus, Thursday was fun. I lurve the Mallard. I wish Monica could have made it (she does, too!), but extra big thanks for making my friend Adrian feel so welcome.

My pics:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/emeryoak/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:12 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies