Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Jay's Stanley Steamer

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

On my way into work this morning, I'm driving down Hollywood Way & see clouds of white smoke billowing from a vehicle up ahead of me. It's friggin' Jay Leno driving a Stanley Steamer!!!!!!!!!

Not that one though - this one was yellow - and making huge clouds of smoke... So - he has two????

TLC did an episode on Rides about his car collection. He owns an ailine hanger in Burbank full of cars. He has the largest collection of steam powered engine cars in the US, I'm not sure of the exact number but he showed 10 of them. Also he has a full time mechanical staff that works on all of his cars. Crazy baby!

Here's the TLC show link

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama on 2005-03-03 12:28 ]

T

Ah - well that makes sense - I saw him just past the Burbank Airport......

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:01 ]

M

T

Mwahahahahaa! Mach's Photoshop skills coming through......

F

Ha!!! :lol:

Yes, Jay has one of the most amazing car (and bike) collections in the world. And, unlike most other collectors, he gets out there and drives 'em. I like his stainless steel "hot rod" that's as big as a Hummer and is powered by an M1 tank motor. With 4" diameter straight pipes comin' off the manifolds, when he cranks it up conversation is impossible (not that there's anything left to say).

D

Jay's got a great collection,but it's not as good as Jerry Rich's.Now there's a fascinating tale...

I saw Jay on the Freeway in Agoura last fall, when we pulled up to him and started waving, he gave us a thumbs up and a huge smile, then he pulled a steam horn handle and it was so loud, I about wet myself! Which made him laugh.
Why does the photo appear so small?

[ Edited by: bananabobs on 2005-03-09 20:55 ]

[ Edited by: bananabobs on 2005-03-09 20:55 ]

On 2005-03-09 20:49, bananabobs wrote:

I saw Jay on the Freeway in Agoura last fall, when we pulled up to him and started waving, he gave us a thumbs up and a huge smile, then he pulled a steam horn handle and it was so loud, I about wet myself! Which made him laugh.
Why does the photo appear so small?

Thanks Dr. FF
Now you can see that steam horn unde the car toward the front.

What did I do wrong? How did you fix it? Thanks, do I need a Phd to post photos?

BB, right click both pictures & select "Properties." look at the address of the first, the image name is "47b5dd28b3127cce90cf129b9a4300000010108ActWLly1aNv", then look at the 2nd, the image name is "47b5dd28b3127cce90cf129b9a4300000016108ActWLly1aNv". Changing that Zero to a six changes a thumbnail to a full size image every time.

M

There's a guy out in Rancho Cordova, CA, near my hometown who has one of those Stanley Steamers. It's a beast! The most jawdropping monstrosity of a vehicle I've ever laid eyes on. It's a trip to see it start up and blow steam out of the engine (if you can call it that...it looks more like a water cooler in the engine compartment).

On 2005-04-04 16:41, Mystiki wrote:
There's a guy out in Rancho Cordova, CA, near my hometown who has one of those Stanley Steamers. It's a beast! The most jawdropping monstrosity of a vehicle I've ever laid eyes on. It's a trip to see it start up and blow steam out of the engine (if you can call it that...it looks more like a water cooler in the engine compartment).

I got a taste of that trip this afternoon when I left work, jumped in my '95 Mustang and hit the road. About 1/2 way home steam started to pour outta the dash vents, hot coolant was drippin' on my feet and my temp gauge began a quick ascent into the "OH SHIT" zone. Needless to say my heater coil just ate its lunch. What a great way to start week.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2005 9:05 PM

Haha radiators! Ive got a 1972 VW Beetle and radiators (in fact water) in my car is a thing of the past. Pitty about the rust...

Part of you is jealous of a guy like Leno who has so much cash, but the other part of you has respect because hes just a car guy at heart. Yeh I'm still jealous though.

Pages: 1 15 replies