Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Martin Denny RIP

Pages: 1 2 89 replies

I just found out through the Exotica list that Martin Denny passed away at his home last night.

I had always wanted to meet and talk with him. I will miss his presence in this world.

I raise my torch to you ....

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2005-03-03 11:48 ]

:cry: :cry: :cry:

J

I'm deeply saddened to hear this news... enough said.

Damn....that sucks.

Oh this is so sad.
He gave so much, and I'm glad I was able to get to know more about him in these past few years.

J

Here's the link to the article in the Honolulu Advertiser...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Mar/03/br/br03p.html

I can't describe how sad that is. I'm actually listening to him right now as I get this message. Thank you, Martin, you effected my life in many ways. You will be missed. :( I hope your quiet village is a peacefull one.

pics of da Gecko wit da king of exotica Mr M. Denny

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4126&forum=11

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2005-03-03 12:08 ]

B

Oh Noooo. A Piece of tiki just moved on to the big tiki in the sky. Mr Denny will be Sorely missed.
Sadsadsad

his music was the backdrop to our wedding.

i only hope that heaven is as wonderful as the places & moods his music evokes.

By Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) Longtime musician Martin Denny, who was known for his unique
exotic sound, died yesterday at his Hawaii Kai home. He was 94.

Denny created a sound that he described as a fusion of Asian, South
Pacific, American jazz, Latin American and classical. He was particularly
known for his song and album entitled ``Quiet Village.''

Musicians Association of Hawaii president Michael Largarticha says the
world has lost one of its great popular musicians. He says Denny was active
and performing until just shortly before his death.

Largarticha says Denny had a good life and a long and very successful career.

(Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

TD
Tiki D posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 1:19 PM

a sad day indeed. today, we have lost a legend. RIP Martin

V
virani posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 1:27 PM

I'm very sad, his albums really changed my vision to music. My biggest dream was to meet the man, hear him playing...

all the legends are going...

TT

First Hunter S. and now this? Very sad news.

About the only regrettable aspect to being involved with TC and the re-discovery and appreciation of tiki, has been the passing away of its icons.:(
I am saddened by this news, but it makes me smile to recall the picture of Sven sitting in Mr. Denny's living room.

We should all feel proud that most of these people knew of our collective appreciation for their genius and talent before they left us.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-04 12:40 ]

He seemed like a genuinely nice guy, unaffected by fame and very down to earth. He had a great life and he was right where he loved being, in Hawaii. I miss him already.

G

Just days ago, I sat down and wrote a fan letter to Mr. Denny, thanking him for giving such wonderful music to two generations of my family. I was still hunting for an address.

'tis a sad day indeed.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

Needless to say, Martin Denny, Les Baster and Arthur Lyman were the big kahunas of the orginal classic exotica. Now, with Martin Dennys passing, they are all gone

Oh, the grey skies outside here in Houston just got a lot greyer. :(

Thank goodness he left behind so much beautiful music of which he and his loved ones can be so proud. I like what you said too, kailuageoff. How happy I am to know that he knew there was a BUNCH of us (relatively young) folks who appreciated his work NOW. He's not relegated to our parents' record bins.

Goodbye Mr. Denny.
I neva met you but I got the pic of you and Gecko both signed right here on my desk. See ya' soon.

Do ya' think he heard me? Who knows?

M

On 2005-03-03 13:59, Kailuageoff wrote:
About the only regrettable aspect to being inolved with TC and the re-discovery and appreciation of tiki, has been the passing away of its icons.:(
I am saddened by this news, but it makes me smile to recall the picture of Sven sitting in Mr. Denny's living room.

We should all feel proud that most of these people knew of our collective appreciation for their genius and talent before they left us.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-03 14:29 ]

I was thinking similar thoughts about the faults of enjoying vintage music, restaurants, etc. so much. The originals keep vanishing!! I should change my tastes. From now on it is "Long Live TgiFriday's and the members of the Backstreet Boys"!!!!

F

:(

OL

I hope the end was peaceful, surrounded by friends and family, a warm ocean breeze, and beautiful exotic music playing in the background. Thats how I want to go.

Congratulations Mr. Denny, on a long and prosporus life and career.
You brought joy to countless people's lives and your music will continue to be an influence to many.
Mahalo, and much Aloha!
:tiki:

M

So many of you have already said just the right things about Mr. Denny. All I can say is that he will be sorely missed in the TC community.

Wow... We've entered a new era. Our links to the original days of Polynesian Pop are thin indeed. We're poorer now that we are divorced by the great divide from those who carried the living memory of those heady days.

I have to go put on my Zentner does Denny lp. And fix a mai tai to ease the loss.

TG

[ Edited by: tikigardener on 2005-03-03 15:44 ]

Z

I discovered Martin Denny's music when I was in high school in the early 80's. I clearly remember the constant harrassing while listening to him while New Wave and Hair Metal was all the rage. I have listened ever since. I wrote him a fan letter several years ago thanking him for his music and asked him for an autograph. He graciously responded and sent me an autographed picture and a thank you note. I have that picture taped to the inside cover of my BOT along with a few other autographs that I have collected, but it is the crown jewel.

Aloha Mr. Denny!

I

It is sad to see such a legendary figure depart from this world - but I am glad that he lived so long, and was able to sense a new generation's admiration for him and his work.

Two years ago, the exotica list collected birthday wishes which were later read to Martin Denny. Here is what I wrote back then ... the sentiments still remain the same

M .... Make mine a mai-tai
A .... Another mai-tai, please, for the woman here
R ..... Really good music playing in the background
T ..... Two people together, enjoying the growing ambience
I ...... Incredible, the whole aura that is happening here
N ..... Need I say that it is Martin Denny on the turntable

D ...... Do we appreciate the music you've provided through the years?
E ..... Even more with each passing year
N ..... Note the visions of Hawaiian imagery floating through our heads
N ..... Ninety two is a very nice number, but then, all of the nineties are nice
Y ..... yesterday we heard your music, today we smile, tomorrow our lives are thus enriched.

Vern

N

With the passings of Arthur Lyman, Les Baxter and even Equivel. I suppose he was the last of the original exotic musicians tied to that era. I'm happy he was alive to enjoy his resurgence and was fortunate enough to express my gratitude in person years ago at the Honolulu premiere of the film Joe's Apt. He sat a row in front of me and I was more in awe of him that that horrible film.

B

My parents had Mr Denny's "Quiet Village" lp in their collection. He will be missed by many generations. A few weeks ago I sent dvds and lobby card copies of the movie "Forbidden Island" to Gecko. He was kind enough to give copies to Martin and his daughter. She was not aware of the movie and Martin had never seen it. I asked if he might sign a card for me but Gecko was not sure if he would be able to as his health had declined. I received this in the mail a couple weeks back.......

Thank You Martin......
and a big mahalo to Gecko........

M

On 2005-03-03 16:43, bongofury wrote:
My parents had Mr Denny's "Quiet Village" lp in their collection. He will be missed by many generations. A few weeks ago I sent dvds and lobby card copies of the movie "Forbidden Island" to Gecko. He was kind enough to give copies to Martin and his daughter. She was not aware of the movie and Martin had never seen it. I asked if he might sign a card for me but Gecko was not sure if he would be able to as his health had declined. I received this in the mail a couple weeks back.......

Thank You Martin......
and a big mahalo to Gecko........

His last autograph?!?! My condolences to Gecko also for losing his friend, Mr Denny.

M

On 2005-03-03 16:26, ikitnrev wrote:
It is sad to see such a legendary figure depart from this world - but I am glad that he lived so long, and was able to sense a new generation's admiration for him and his work.

Two years ago, the exotica list collected birthday wishes which were later read to Martin Denny. Here is what I wrote back then ... the sentiments still remain the same

M .... Make mine a mai-tai
A .... Another mai-tai, please, for the woman here
R ..... Really good music playing in the background
T ..... Two people together, enjoying the growing ambience
I ...... Incredible, the whole aura that is happening here
N ..... Need I say that it is Martin Denny on the turntable

D ...... Do we appreciate the music you've provided through the years?
E ..... Even more with each passing year
N ..... Note the visions of Hawaiian imagery floating through our heads
N ..... Ninety two is a very nice number, but then, all of the nineties are nice
Y ..... yesterday we heard your music, today we smile, tomorrow our lives are thus enriched.

Vern

DNAG, Vern, you blew me away ,again, with your prose! ZAZZ!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the members of TC for introducing us to the music of Mr. Denny. We travel a lot and carry a small CD player for "motel camping"; Denny is often at the top of the play list, usually with a tiki candle burning. Many's the time a sterile motel has become a romantic and quiet village.

M

We should all be so lucky to make it to 93.

I can't believe how short that Honolulu Advertiser obit is. That's a crime. Hopefully we'll see a more in-depth one in one of "our" publications.

On 2005-03-03 17:03, martiki wrote:
I can't believe how short that Honolulu Advertiser obit is.

I can't believe that this news is only coming from Hawaiian news outlets (from what I've seen so far today).

V

As you might imagine, I am a huge fan and am still a little shocked by this news. Martin's music has brought a great deal of joy and happiness to me and many, if not all of us here. His passing is indeed sad, but we should celebrate his life and his works.

I am quickly planning a special Denny retrospective to run sometime soon on my Live365.com station. Details to follow.

Aloha and Mahalo dear friend,

Vic

M

My parents had Mr Denny's "Quiet Village" lp in their collection

Mine as well. When my Dad died I made sure to save his copy.

Mr Denny lived the good life, a good long life at that. Cheers to him...

midnite

T

I am stunned and deeply saddened to hear this.

The first thing my mother bought when she left the care of her parents and started out on her own was an album by Mr. Denny,Afrodesia. I was enchanted with that album while growing up, and it was the foundation of my interest in Tiki. Those that know me know what an important part of my life it has become.

Mr. Denny, you've brought an immeasurable amount of happy memories to me and my friends over the years, will continue to do so for all of time. Thank you.

B

Words can not express... Though we never met, it's like the loss of a dear friend or family member.

With his music, Martin Denny has brought us so much happiness and enchantment– and we are just a couple of the countless lives his art has touched.

He will be greatly missed.

Just read the news here. Peace to Martin and his family and friends. I credit Mr. Denny for guiding my musical tastes down a new avenue. It was his music that opened my mind to the world of tiki. Before I had ever sipped from a tiki mug, before I ever visited Hawaii, I listened to Martin Denny. I am grateful for discovering his music, and Exotica in general. I'm also grateful for this forum, knowing that there are many others out there who feel the same as I, who will celebrate his life and music and continue to expose others to it.

A big Okole Maluna to you Martin Denny!

Passed on but never far from our hearts,
Enjoy your Quiet Village Mr. Denny, Aloha.

Aloha Martin Denny. The beautiful music you've left us will live on forever. Mahalo.
-SWJ

I cried.

Very sad news..
I just do remember when I first did hear his Quiet Village on a tape a friend did give to me. This discovery of exotica does open my musical world so much to a never ending journey...
Thank you Mr. Denny
R.I.P.
your music will live forever

M

Thanks to Martin Denny, I know my world is certainly richer.
What a wonderful influence!

N

What a sad day. My wife's god mother passed away today, too. This weekend let's listen to a little Quiet Village, have a cocktail, and raise our glass to Martin. His legacy lives on through us.

We have all been truely blessed to have heard his music. I shall treasure his memory.

Pages: 1 2 89 replies