Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

*New* Angry Tiki page 2

Pages: 1 32 replies

Back from the dead!

I saw this neat technique in a monthly ceramics magazine and thought it would look good on a tiki mug. So simple but looks realistic. I used an old dentistry tool but a sharpened pencil will work just as good. Start by stippling or poking small holes in the clay. Next keep poking more holes in the clay... Just kidding, that's all there is to this. Just poke holes in clay. Not sure how this would look like if you tried to make a mold out of piece with this texture. I'm guessing that the mold wouldn't last to long. Not a very exciting design but enjoy the pics.

Goofy looking tiki like mug?

Side view! Amazing!

Back.

What I used, but a sharpened pencil will work just as good. If you want larger holes, go with the pencil.

Will post when stippling is done and teeth are carved out. I plan on doing a couple more hend carved tikis this month. I would like to post a little "How to..." topic after seeing the Hook carving lesson by Benzart.

[ Edited by: yumyumkid 2005-09-01 15:17 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 2:48 PM

I love that mug. Mugs are the reason that I'm here and like tikis so much in the first place. Thats my mug at the bottom.

Good tech. and usally if you repeat a pattern, it always looks good. The simple mugs are some of the most prized kinds i.e. tiki Bob. It looks like a m1gallery skull mug.

Are you going to glaze the piece cause it will probably cover your work? One glazed one not? Maybe just the inside and teeth. Post pics of the finshed product. Hey, what about just a toothpick.

Glad to hear that you like it. I am also kinda curious to see what a glaze will do to this type of texture. I may stipple a test tile then glaze it or maybe, like you suggested, glaze the inside, eyes and teeth. Then finish the rest off with a stain that would really bring out the holes.

A toothpick would work, but because it is pretty much the same thickness troughout, all the holes will be uniform giving the piece a very "neat" look....You just gave me a great idea! What if you were to tape say, 15-20 toothpicks together, creating a toothpick/stippling stamp! After using the "stamp" you could hit a few spots with a pencil creating larger wholes so it looked more natural. I'm fresh out of toothpick's but will get some by this weekend and try it out. Thanks teaKEY!

Very nice effect!

Yeah, bundling the toothpicks sounds good, maybe put in a bamboo skewer or two for larger holes.

Although I must admire yumyumkid's fortitude and patience, makes my knuckles ache just looking at it.

(edited for forgetting whose mug it was)

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2005-03-03 22:15 ]

T

I just started working in cement and I tried this tech. this morning. Your holes are so much smaller but I like my effect too. I found a kabob stick and shaved it down. Pushed farther for bigger holes. You call yours coral I call mine volcanic. A stain sounds nice. It seems like older mugs left the outside unglazed. Will post a pic as soon as I find my camera cord.

On 2005-03-03 22:07, yumyumkid wrote:
What if you were to tape say, 15-20 toothpicks together, creating a toothpick/stippling stamp! After using the "stamp" you could hit a few spots with a pencil creating larger wholes so it looked more natural. I'm fresh out of toothpick's but will get some by this weekend and try it out. Thanks teaKEY!

I thought of this, too, but mentally took it another step: Take a tuna fish or sardine can & fill the bottom of the can with sculpty. Stick round toothpicks into the sculpty to fill the can, trying to not make the grouping too regular. Some of the toothpicks get pushed further in than others, some of the toothpicks you could put a layer or two of scotch tape around them to make a bigger space around it, replace some toothpicks with woodem skewers broken off to the length of a toothpick, replace others with pins or thin metal rods of approximatly the same length as a toothpick, etc. (whatever you want to do to vary the spacing & size of the toothpicks). Bake it to harden the sculpty & you have a bulk stippling block. You can stipple a larger area with this block by stamping it into the mug, then turning the mug to another unstippled area, twisting the block to change the pattern of holes & stamping it again, or lay the block on your work area & roll the mug across it.

O

Hey YumYum,
cool, glad to see someone else getting into mug making. The coral texture you made will be hard to glaze, particularly if you try to dip it. It might be better to just glaze the inside of the mug, leaving the outside dry. You may be able to glaze the outside by applying it by airbrush, but you may still have some glaze skips. After you sculpt that texture it would help to take a rubber makeup sponge or chip brush and some isopropyl alcohol, 99% if you can get it, and work the surface a bit. The alcohol will dry faster than water. you will fill in the sharp deep pores without destroying the effect, making it far easier and cleaner to mold and cast, and more likely to get a decent glaze coverage on your bisqued piece.
Freddie, another way to make a similar tool to what you are talking about: brass tubing, skewers or barettes or pieces of metal wire, and plumbers putty. This makes a very sturdy tool.
YUMYUM, please post your finished mug
TT

Y

Okay, here is the finished sculpt of the mug. Made a tool yestersay that worked great and blew through the rest of the texturing. I would like to thank teaKEY, purple jade, freddiefreelance, and tikitanked for the tips and encouragement. After carving the teeth, I thought the eyes looked half assed and decided to carve them out. Looks really spooky now.

Took a tea light candle casing, poured melted wax into it and shoved a bundle of toothpicks bound with a rubber band into it.

Side that was "poked" by hand.

Side that was "poked" with the tool.

Here's a pic without the flash.

Can you tell a difference from the two sides? (Hand versus tool?)

I had alot of fun doing this mug and once the tool was made, it was a lot easier to do the texturing.

Inside will be glazed black, eyes and teeth will be glazed a white-ish/green, and the outside will be stained with a dark green.

B

Yo YumYumKid, your mug looks great finished. Carving out the eyes was the finishing touch, Big Difference. I can't tell the diference between the two sides' texturing- excellent job.Can't wait to see the final glazed and fired piece. you should Keep this one for your grandkids.

You still have alot of differences between the 2 sides, did you go over it afterwards with the dental tool to make a few bigger/deeper holes? Very nice, I can't wait to see how the glazing turns out!

Y

Yes, I did go over the one side with the dental tool. The side that I used the toothpick stamp has no smoothness to it at all. The side I started with using the dental tool is smooth between each hole. I probally should of started a new mug to try out the tool on.

Y

Hey guys, here's two more mugs that I have carved. They were a little dry but I rolled with it. A few pieces chipped off as a result but I'm really happy with the way they turned out. I was trying a more "primitive" approach and it's very hard b/c I usually work really clean.

"Aaaiiiieeee!"

I couldn't get a good pic of this one...

I must say that I prefer the style of the first mug you made. It's clean, simple (although not to make) and unique.

I'd buy one!

This is me testing out a new mold I just got. I used the "push mold" technique which is where you just take a chunk of clay and push it into the mold. Not casting/no waiting involved. It's not as clean as casting though. The plate type form is around 6" in diameter.

The design on the inside of the plate is from a stamp a made years ago. Enjoy.

M

The first design is my favorite. Keep up the excellent work YY.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 7:45 PM

I REALLY like that plate! I can't wait to see what it looks like glazed. :)

Here is a new tiki design that I carved out of clay during last weeks hurricane. I was fortunate enough not to lose power so I was still able to entertain myself. :) More on the way very soon....

Very cartoon like.

oooh i like that one!! cartoony is good.

are you going to keep it smooth? or did the toothpick experience wear you out?

what color(s) will it be?

Wow! I really like it. Fantastic job! Makes me want to get out my clay now!

I tried to go with the wood texture look from alot of the vintage mugs. This changed the whole attitude of the tiki once the lines were carved into it. Havn't decided on a color yet.

The "toothpick experience" WAS an experience if you catch my drift. I still don't think a mold would capture the quality of detail from using that technique. 40 of the Yumskulls have been completed so it will be a while before I need to make some more. One of my favorite mug designs would have to be the Otagiri. I would like to use the "peanut" technique on one of mine in the future.

Thanks for the praise and !yes! Break out your clay, we need more of it on here!

YumYumKid, I REALLY like your work! Are you considering making mugs from these???

H

Cool stuff.

F
foamy posted on Tue, Aug 30, 2005 5:09 AM

YumYum, love your work. I always wanted to make a few of my own mugs and now I know why.

Thanks guys. I'm making a number of potential mug models. This one may or may not become a mug. We'll see once the ole kiln has enough stuff in it to do a firing.

Y

Here's a new tiki carved in the same style as the last one. I wanted to try more of an emotional expression with with this guy. This one is a little bit shorter and more closer to the base. Now that it's finished, it kinda reminds me of a rum barrel mug that has gone insane.

"Raaaaawwwr!"

D

I'm lovin' it! I am really happy with my Yumskull, he's so cute! I bought a shorter one to use more as a bowl, I'd love to be able to have more of your mugs sitting on my shelf. Please keep up the great designs! FUN stuff!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-09-01 15:45 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2005 4:24 PM

yumyum, I remember when you showed your prototype. And then I saw your Ebay listing and I thought you made a mold (which I have no clue how thats done). But no, each one hand made. I put a bid on one last week and was out bidded.

That last one looks so smooth. How did you get it so perfect looking. Is that a hand-built?

Oh Wow! LOVE that guy! He is fantastic!!

I think I need him.....

On 2005-08-29 17:57, yumyumkid wrote:
I would like to use the "peanut" technique on one of mine in the future.

I like the woodgrain look, by "Peanut" do you mean a PMP woodgrain? I like that tight, squiggly look that PMP products have, especially when they have that little knothole in the belly button. :)

Or do you mean the Islander/Trader Dicks Peanut? Maybe use old, rounded pencil erasers? make a bundle of pencils, rubber band them together & stick them into a small potato to make a "Peanut" stamp?

I also like the woodgrain in the old Harvey's Tiki Buckets, but it might be too much work to try to recreate that.

B

Cool lookin stuff Yumyumkid, you are creating some very nice mugz. Show us some More.

Very nice piece - I like the character he has.

Definately cool lookin' creations. Make sure you lay some pic on us after the kiln fires! If you got the time take some pics of the process
Thanks for postin' Yum
Chongolio

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 4:01 AM

Another cool piece!

Pages: 1 32 replies