Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Wood

Pages: 1 4 replies

BT

I am interested in carving my own tiki. What wood be the best wood for a beginner and where can I get some?

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 7:17 PM

Well welcome aboard fer starters. You left yourself wide open... so, I thought I would save you by asking you some questions first.

Where do you live?

How adept are you and with what kind of tools?

How large and what kind of Tiki did you have in mind for your first? (Now that's an interesting thread to start...scratches head)

Let us know what the answers to these are abd we will be far better equipt to help you!

We are here to help.

I hope you have camera and internet sharing capability...We want to see it too.

Mahalo!

McTiki

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 7:17 PM

Well welcome aboard fer starters. You left yourself wide open... so, I thought I would save you by asking you some questions first.

Where do you live?

How adept are you and with what kind of tools?

How large and what kind of Tiki did you have in mind for your first? (Now that's an interesting thread to start...scratches head)

Let us know what the answers to these are abd we will be far better equipt to help you!

We are here to help.

I hope you have camera and internet sharing capability...We want to see it too.

Mahalo!

McTiki

B

Welcome, Blue Tiki to TikiCentral or TC as we lazily call her. As you see you Might have come to the right place, but don't led the lack of answers daunt you.
You can use ANY kind of wood you would like for your first tiki.If you want to start off Fancy with HARD Exotic woods, go down to your local wood carving store and get some walnut, cherry, mahogany or Bubinga or even Koa wood. Get yourself some beginners chisels and gouges and go at it. Ask questions along the way and when u r done u will hav a tiki to be proud of..You could also just look around your house, yard or neighborhood for fallen trees or even sticks. COnstruction sites are treasure troves of carving wood.Choose your wood compared to the types of tools you have, Don't have any tools. Get some carving tools and then look for wood to fit your tools.What kind of tools? A Hook knife, a couple gouges and straight tools, a band saw, or jij saw, maybe a chainsaw.You can make do with what you got if you have as little as a pocket knife,or utility knife.
Think about all this and somewhere things will begin to click and a tiki will be born. Take pic's and let us see what you did. We May ask you to sell it to us you never know.
Good Luck

On 2005-03-03 19:04, Blue Tiki wrote:
What wood be the best wood ...and where can I get some?

McTiki's right. What area do you live in? There may be other TC folks nearby that will have some good tips and wood sources for you. Let us know - we all like helping out new carvers and seeing what they come up with. You came to the right place...

Pages: 1 4 replies