Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Supersuckers & The Good Reverend on Tour

Pages: 1 30 replies

For those of you who have never seen the Supersuckers or the Reverend Horton Heat, they are on tour together now on the west coast.

I highly suggest that you consider checking them out. :)

Here are the dates:
Date City
03/16/05 Tucson, AZ
03/17/05 Las Vegas, NV
03/18/05 Hollywood, CA
03/19/05 San Diego, CA
03/20/05 Bakersfield, CA
03/21/05 Santa Cruz, CA
03/23/05 Sacramento, CA
03/24/05 Santa Rosa, CA
03/25/05 San Francisco, CA
03/26/05 Sparks, NV
03/27/05 Eugene, OR
03/29/05 Bend, OR
03/30/05 Portland, OR
03/31/05 Bellingham, WA

I hope to go to the Santa Cruz show. :)

Rockin' good!!
Mahalo Cool Manchu.
Aloha,
:tiki:

K
Kono posted on Sun, Mar 6, 2005 7:16 AM
H

Some wacky connections: the opening band for 10 stops on this tour is Trainwreck, which a friend of mine is in. They put on a highly entertaining show, see them if you can. http://www.twreck.net My other wacky connection is that my best bud Monica (who's been to a few tiki things) used to be married to a Supersucker.

T

Thanks for the reminder on the band's name H2. I was trying to think of it when I saw this thread.

BTW, did you get my tab at the Mallard last Thursday? I woke up the next morning and freaked out that that I forgot to pay my "casual tab" that Robin so generously extends me. I felt like such a heel - I have never forgotten before. Must've been the stellar company that night (The Jab, yourself, HANFORD!!!) that distracted me from my monetary responsibilities. Thank goodness my lovely and pregnant Mrs. P. was driving!

BB

Trainwreck puts on a great show, very entertaining and as far as the REV.... one of the best live entertainers ever.

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2005 2:55 AM

On 2005-03-06 21:49, Humuhumu wrote:
My other wacky connection is that my best bud Monica (who's been to a few tiki things) used to be married to a Supersucker.

Which one??

TC

Supersuckers or the Reverend Horton Heat will be in asbury park, nj (asbury lanes) on may 8.

[ Edited by: tiki chris on 2005-03-08 05:59 ]

And I will be there with my bowling shoes on.

I always catch the good reverend when he is in my town.
These guys tour constantly and always give you more show for your buck!

H

Tiki-bot -- of course I absolutely would have, but I'm afraid I didn't! It was a simply grand evening, hopefully I can get through my backlog of pics quickly so I can get them up.

Kono -- Mo was married to Dan, the drummer. AFAIK, he left the band a short bit ago. He & Mo still share custody of a dog.

My nephew, who is turning 16 this weekend, asked if I'd take him to Hollywood on the 18th to see the Rev & Supersuckers then the next day cruise over to the Petersen Auto Museum. He said since it was his "Sweet 16" birthday that my only other options were to buy him a '32 Ford or a Gretsch Hollow Body Guitar. My sister blames me for all of this but I think the boy's gonna be just fine.

I've seen the Rev and Supersuckers in 4 different states, over 3 times a year for the past 10+ years. I took the last year off as I felt I would soon have to join rehab. One phone call is all it took to knock me off of the wagon...

Hello,

my name is teri

i am 43 years old

and I need to rock!

D
davew posted on Thu, Mar 10, 2005 6:40 AM

Im 43 as well,ive seen the rev and the suckers quite a few times over the years.Ill be at the asbury lanes show in asbury park nj,its a really fun venue(whats cooler than a bowling alley) with a few tiki touches here and there. btw i understand there are only a handful of tickets left for this show.some cool shows upcoming there as well...deke,link,dick dale...

I'm going to try to take a bunch of my friends to the Asbury Lanes for the show.

Alas, I wish it was at Irving Plaza, NYC. The New York show is going to be at Webster Hall. A terrible trendy dance hall with a strict dress code and meathead bouncers

-g-

H

I'm considering hitting the show here in L.A. this weekend, but I'm considering even more seriously hitting the show in S.F. (my friend Monica may be able to join me for that one).

I saw the Supersuckers open for Firehose in Seatle probably 10 or 12 years ago. They were very cool. It was the first time I'd ever heard of them and I liked them a lot.

(speaking of Firehose, does anybody have the new Mike Watt album?)

If anyone is going to the Santa Cruz show, let me know and we can hook up. :)

Also, is TrainWreck named after a certain popular foliage from Humboldt county?

H

On 2005-03-15 13:44, Cool Manchu wrote:

'Fraid I don't know... while the Twreck boys certainly do seem to like their plant life, I don't partake myself, so I'm totally square when it comes to that stuff. The Trainwreck website is at http://www.twreck.net, if it is a Humboldt reference, it'll probably say somewhere on there, or on the band's forums.

Yo Finkdaddy,
I believe I attended the same Firehose show here in Seattle. Was it at Under The Rail? Did Dos (Watt and Kira on dueling basses) open? There was one more band too, Run Westy Run? A fun show as I can recall.

I highly recommend this show for anyone who hasn't seen either of these bands. The 'suckers have always ruled. Their sense of humor is unparalleled in the rock world. The Good Rev. is also a master showman, but I do miss his original drum beast, Taz.

On 2005-03-15 13:44, Cool Manchu wrote:

I just assumed it was from the old saying "(that)band sounded like a trainwreck."

On 2005-03-16 19:13, Selector Lopaka wrote:
Yo Finkdaddy,
I believe I attended the same Firehose show here in Seattle. Was it at Under The Rail? Did Dos (Watt and Kira on dueling basses) open? There was one more band too, Run Westy Run? A fun show as I can recall.

I highly recommend this show for anyone who hasn't seen either of these bands. The 'suckers have always ruled. Their sense of humor is unparalleled in the rock world. The Good Rev. is also a master showman, but I do miss his original drum beast, Taz.

Yes!! That was the same show, what a small world. I was a HUGE Firehose fan, but sadly that was their last tour together. Now Mike Watt does the solo thing. His shows are cool, but nothing like Firehose was.

Saw the show last night, awesome, awesome, awesome! Caught the last couple of songs by Trainwreck, they did covers of "Dukes of Hazzard Theme" and "We're an American Band." Supersuckers RAWWWKED! They had some 14 year old kid sit in on guitar for "Supersuckers Drive-By Blues" and he shredded... The highlight for my nephew was when walking out of the lobby of the hotel, the good Rev pulled up at the same time. My nephew, who is extremely shy walked up to him and and told hm that he was a big fan and that he was going to see his show that night. Rev said, "Cool buddy, see ya there!" and shook his hand. That boy was floating on air. It was a very good day indeed!

I have my tickets and I am ready to see them at the Catalyst tomorrow night! It will be the 8th time I have seen the Rev, but the first time for the Supersuckers.

Just got home from the show. I made sure to go early and see Train Wreck. I had no idea that Kyle Gass (of Tenacious D fame) was part of the band. I got to chat with him and the lead singer for a bit. I asked them my question about the name of the band and if it was named after the famous Humboldt foliage or after what was suggested here, that they sound like a train wreck and the lead singer chimed in "Both!" and went on to tell of a time when they played Arcata by the University of Humboldt that people were throwing fist sized nugs on stage to them...The cover tunes they played at our show were Rocker by Thin Lizzy and Footloose...

The Supersuckers were great, but played a shortened set. I got to talk with Eddie Spaghetti for a bit and he signed some records I bought. I found out that they occassionally do a Thin Lizzy tribute show where they dress up as Phil Lynott and the gang and play the full Live and Dangerous album. They also debuted a new song, at least that is what they said...:wink:

The Rev. was much better than the last time I saw them. Jim Heath's voice sounded a lot better, so maybe that is why. Also, they changed their set, which was pretty much the same for the 3 previous shows, so I was pretty happy about that.

[ Edited by: Cool Manchu on 2005-03-22 00:10 ]

Cool Manchu, the lead singer ("Darryl Donald" is his stage name, J.R. Reed is his real-life name) is the Twrecker who is a friend of mine. Glad you got to chat with him, he's great.

Yep, Kyle is one of the driving forces behind the 'wreck -- Jack comes out sometimes & performs with the band as "Tuffy McFuckleby." I've actually never seen Tenacious D, so I don't know much about that, I just stumbled across Trainwreck a while back and have loved going to see them play here in town. Another key component is "Lance Branson," their keyboardist, he couldn't make it for this tour, and I suspect that changes the show pretty significantly. Another fellow who couldn't make it for the tour is their regular drummer, Kevin Weisman, who plays "Marshall" on Alias.

I couldn't make it for Friday's show here in town (I jetted up to SF for the weekend to engage in some impromptu adventures with Mig & Hanford), but I'll be at the show up in SF this Friday with my friend Monica -- she got us on the list, with backstage passes, which is a first for me but old hat for her... should be a fun time.

Humuhumu, thank you for the additional information. I love that I can learn so much from this place. :)

Speaking of drummers, I forgot to mention that Eddie Spaghetti "played" drums as a second drummer on a few songs. He mostly drank...:)

I hope you have an amazing time on Friday! It sounds like it will be a blast...

too funny to read about the supersuckers here! Knew those guys in high school,,,all of them :) Had Dan Bolton in a few classes and knew Ron from dating one of his track buddies...everyone knew and loved Eddie...he was such a sweetie! Eddie had a friend, Vaughn Cromwell, they were always together...thought they'd be in a band together, but Vaughn went on another direction...and Eddie and the rest of the guys moved forward I guess. There was another guy in the mix, Eric Martinez I think, who we also went to school with...but I remember hearing that he died tragically after being a vocalist for the ban in the early days. Not sure what happend to Dan Siegel (Dancing Eagle)...but I don't think he is with the band anymore, either.

Too funny to see those knucleheads now :) Glad to see they are rockin' on!

I know that Dancing Eagle is selling off SuperSuckers records on eBay, but not much more...

H

The show was a rockin' good time... although I arrived huring a bit from the night before in Vegas, and with my voice having gone missing. We missed the Rev's set in favor of hanging out backstage. Sounds like the Supersuckers & Trainwreck guys bonded a bit on tour, they may tour again together, which would be sweet!

My pics:
http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/crazymofo/sf/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:07 ]

Whooo Hooo

I got passes to the Webster Hall, NYC show (boo on the venue). Is anyone else going to that one or the Assbury Park show?

-g-

Pages: 1 30 replies