Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Baseball and Tiki

Pages: 1 11 replies

I

My attention was captured tonight, when I read this brief snippet of information from Spring Training.

"Burrell's shot was the most impressive, a first-pitch swat that bounced off the roof of the Tiki bar in left field and gave Philadelphia a 4-3 lead."

Wondering if tiki and the national pasttime might be connecting in some cool fashion, I tried to locate a picture of the above tiki bar. The ballpark above is Brighthouse Network Field, located in Clearwater Florida, the spring training home of the Phillies.

I came across this image -- a 360 degree rotating view of the tiki bar and surrounding area.
http://www.360media.com/clients/phillies/Brighthouse/leftfield.htm

All I can say is Ugh ...... no bamboo, no Hawaiian shirts, and not a single tiki in sight - just a large expanse of concrete. How much you want to bet that they serve beer and margaritas at this tiki bar, but no mai-tais.

Summary: Baseball and tiki do not mix well. But then tiki bars and 'sports bar' televisions never mixed well to begin with.

Vern

They serve 'mai-tais' at the A's game. (A's fans REALLY don't need high powered cocktails...) They aren't very good. And in a certain section of PacBell Park, there is a lemonade vendor who will, rum up your lemonade for $3. Personally, I drink beer at baseball games. We had a couple of martinis before a Giants game a few years ago, and well, lets just say, the fans around us were a little, annoyed by my enthusiasm.

The Phillies Ballpark in Philly has an 18 foot pinball machine, my company designed it! (we designed all 3 games in CBP!) I've heard it's cool, but I've actually never been there :(

Ooh, ooh Mrs. P, do tell which section! It's the club Level isn't it?
That's sounds like a much better deal than the $7 beers.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Here is a baseball & tiki mix for you baseball fans out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57990&item=3963154742&rd=1

Check out the Tiki next to the Bobblehead!

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2005-03-11 10:56 ]

These are 2 things that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence! One is considered by some to be the "great American pastime" - built on the honor, hard work, pageantry and tradition of so many greats who came before, and an American original that has fans and enthusiasts throughout the world. The other....is just a stupid kids game played by a bunch of steroid juiced arrogant multi-millionaires.

M

I'll be hitting a game at the Phillies Spring training field this week. I've seen this "tiki" bar there, but it's of the fake Florida variety - a thatch roof, not much else.
I'll check in to see if mai tais are available and report back.
Something tells me the answer will be a bellowing, resounding, echoing "no".

MT

On 2005-03-11 12:06, johntiki wrote:
The other....is just a stupid kids game played by a bunch of steroid juiced arrogant multi-millionaires.

Kohalacharms takes steroids? :-?

[ Edited by: Mai Tai on 2005-03-13 02:15 ]

There's no tiki in baseball!

That's right, there's only Tiki in football!

R

I'd say it's just a case of the sweeping trend to call any open air bar a tiki bar. There's a resteraunt in Newburg Indiana on the Ohio river that boasts of a tiki bar. No thatch, no tikis, no mai tai. You can get rum and juice though. Outside of the tiki torches there's nothing remotely tiki about it. I've noticed this in Florida also.

A new independent minor league formed last year with most teams based in California and Arizona

http://www.goldenbaseball.com

They held a contest to name the teams. My entry for the local team was the Long Beach Tikis. Looks like I was way off base and way out in left field.

On 2005-03-07 23:13, Tiki Royale wrote:
Ooh, ooh Mrs. P, do tell which section! It's the club Level isn't it?
That's sounds like a much better deal than the $7 beers.
Aloha,
:tiki:

It's the cheap seats (?) or should I say, the upper level, since I don't think $24 is cheap...along the 3rd base line.
Every year we say we're going to get some tickets, and every year they go on sale, and we've just gotten married or remodeled our kitchen or something :(
This year the Phillies are playing the week of my due date, but we're going to a Cleveland game with my sister and her family, who hail from Cleveland!

Go Giants!

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-03-14 19:46 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies